Comment by MP Charles Chong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment by MP Charles Chong

Has anyone read this article in today's TODAY?

Ill-timed article cooks up a storm by Ansley Ng

Specifically page 2

Link -> http://www.todayonline.com/pdf_open.asp?id=2001HNL002

Note these remarks by MP Charles Chong
    "Agreeing that the rebuke in Parliament was “harsh”, MP Charles Chong noted that in the article, Mr Tan did not “brag” about how expensive the trip was. “Maybe it made lesser mortals envious and they thought maybe he was a little bit boastful,” he said. “Would people have taken offence if his wife (a senior investment counsellor at a bank) had paid for everything?”

So now ... we peasants become lesser mortals? .... he needs to read what our pledge says...
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
    ... we peasants become lesser mortals? ....
    nothing new...
    the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
    visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

I agree with you....very the DU LAN!

What lesser mortals???? Aren't we all equal before God and the Law?

Have more money doesn't make a person a "better" mortal - what the @#$%!

Comment

I have special interest in linguistic and psychology. I believe that "The mind and the body forms one system. Whatever happens on the inside is reflected on the outside". Hence, what they say, the word they chose to use are all reflection of their attitude. Feels like me the ordinary Singaporean is just a joke to him.
        [FONT="Tahoma"]Without Passion, life is only Motion! [/FONT]

[IMG]http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq284/billykueek/Enter%20the%20Dragon%202012/395563_10150512819558051_2012130430_n-1-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq284/billykueek/Enter%20the%20Dragon%202012/405925_10150512819323051_580368050_8870312_1160894759_n-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

No comment...

Comment

Perhaps too much success has gone to the man's head ...

I quote from the new USA President: "This is the moment when we must build on the wealth that open markets have created, and share its benefits more equitably. Trade has been a cornerstone of our growth and global development. But we will not be able to sustain this growth if it favors the few, and not the many. "

Spread the wealth, Mr. Chong and Mr. Tan, then all the "lesser" mortals can stand shoulder to shoulder with you guys, isn't it great?!
            "Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. And it will leave you unfulfilled."

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

"If we aren't willing to pay a price for our values, then we should ask ourselves whether we truly believe in them at all."

"先天下之忧而忧 , 后天下之乐而乐"

Comment

Our MPs are always right...

Comment

不患人之不己之,患不知人也。

見賢思齊焉,見不賢而內自省也。
                "Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. And it will leave you unfulfilled."

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

"If we aren't willing to pay a price for our values, then we should ask ourselves whether we truly believe in them at all."

"先天下之忧而忧 , 后天下之乐而乐"

Comment

Originally posted by Dreams Of My Father View Post
                  不患人之不己之,患不知人也。

見賢思齊焉,見不賢而內自省也。
                  can someone translate pls...thx...

btw wrt to the topic at hand, while i agree that the choice of words and our actions reflect our character, sometimes people make mistakes, wrong judgement, etc... who doesn't?

don't take it so hardlah... start with a positive thought....this will lead to positive perception...

just saw the video by a national geographic photographer who "celebrate what's right in the world"...
                  In The Bag
                  Him
                  Tissot PR100 AutoQuartz T14.1.489.11, Longines Dolce Vita L56554736, Rolex SS Submariner 16610, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Glycine Airman SST 06 Ref:3856.186-D8, Seiko Blue Ti Samurai SBDA003, Diver SKX007J, Black Sumo SBDC001, Tuna Can SBBN007, Orange Monster SKX781, Vintage Diver 6309-7040, Vintage Bellmatic 4006-7002
                  Her
                  Tissot PR50 T27.2.281.13, Longines Dolce Vita L51584736

Next Target
                  Damned! My wife's list is not growing...Rolex MOP Datejust for Missus...

Comment

WOW~ Obama can write chinese which chinese can't read...

Originally posted by Dreams Of My Father View Post
                    不患人之不己之,患不知人也。

見賢思齊焉,見不賢而內自省也。

Comment

Charles Chong’s reply to Eugene Yeo, Chief Editor, Wayangparty Club, 21 January 2009:

Hi Eugene,

Yes, the newspaper article certainly appears to have created quite a furore. It was definitely not my intention to cause such a storm or to denigrade anyone. I have already replied to a number of queries sent to me - some wanted clarification while others just wanted to express their views.

After hearing Minister Teo Chee Hean read out the salary scales of senior civil servants in response to a question by NMP Siew KH, I can safely say that I am not in the same league as any Permanent Secretary or any Office Holder.

After I re-read Mr Tan’s article, I noticed that he did not really brag about the cost of his holiday and the cooking lessons. However other information he revealed about himself and his family that were unrelated to cooking, left me with the impression that he was a bit boastful and maybe insensitive to (us) lesser mortals. This may naturally lead to unhappiness and even envy especially during difficult times.

Mr Tan and his family must have achieved their success through their own effort and merit. Minister Teo also indicated that what Mr Tan did in his own time was his own business. With this in mind I told a journalist who called, that I agreed with the view that Mr Tan was insensitive but it may have been a bit harsh for him to receive such a public rebuke in Parliament and to also have his counselling session with the Head of the Civil Service “put on record.” However I agreed that successful people such as Mr Tan must be aware that there will always be people less fortunate than him and be sensitive to that fact.

We also discussed if public sentiment would have been any different if it was Mrs Tan (who is from the private sector) who wrote the article and paid for the holiday and cooking lessons. It was clear that public sector personalities are held to different standards compared to the private sector.

That is essentially the background story. I hope it would help provide some clarification on some of the questions that has been raised.

Best Wishes,

Charles Chong

Eugene Yeo’s original email to Charles Chong, 20 January 2009

Hi Mr Chong,

I am Eugene Yeo, Chief Editor of socio-political blog Wayangparty Club.

As you may be aware now, your “lesser mortal” remarks have stirred a furore in cyberspace with many netizens lampooning you for insulting them.

In CNA forum alone, there are at least 20 discussion threads started about your comments today.

Please go and read the comments posted by our readers here:

http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/20/pa...tan-yong-soon/

A reader claiming to be a grassroots leader of your GRC posted on my blog that he has written to you to inquire about the matter and you have replied that you are misquoted by the press.

If this is indeed the case, we would publish a version of your account on our blog which has a daily readership of more than 10,000. This would help clarify matters and dispel misperceptions in the public about your remarks.

EDITORS’ NOTE: I have forwarded the link of this post to Charles and he may be reading the comments posted here. If you have any queries or feedback to him, you may leave them here. In the meantime, the public campaign below still stand as long we do not hear Charles Chong’s clarification or apology in PUBLIC.

Comment

Actually what is the big deal?? Aiyo... only $45k... that's peanuts...

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                          Actually what is the big deal?? Aiyo... only $45k... that's peanuts...
                          Oi! B careful of ur "peanut" comment hor.. Some big shot mentioned that few years back and kena jialat-jialat..
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

OMG! I forgot... Mod, can I edit it to "KaChaPoTay"?

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                            Oi! B careful of ur "peanut" comment hor.. Some big shot mentioned that few years back and kena jialat-jialat..

Comment

let me guess..animal farm. 2 legs good 4 legs bad.
                              "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X