What is PARACHROM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is PARACHROM?

Bump onto this article,dun know if anyone posted it here before..find it very good read,and informative too.

Posted by Wei Koh in Revolution Magazine (watch magazine) No. 12 p.286

WHAT IS PARACHROM? What exactly is Parachrom and how is it made? Its base material consists of 85 percent niobium and 15 percent zirconium. These materials are also used to create heat shields in nuclear power plants, so their melting point is supremely high. To merge the two materials, Rolex utilizes electron bombardment inside a high vacuum condition, which creates an environment of 2,300 degrees Celsius. It is remarkable to witness these two materials becoming one. They are fed vertically through an arc-melting ring, and while they appear as solid metal below the melting point, they transform into a ring of fire at the point at which they combine. To ensure that the two materials are perfectly combined, this fusion takes place three times, with the bar of Parachrom rotated at each pass. The end result is a bar of Parachrom 30 centimeters long that can be used to create 10,000 hairsprings.

The processes after this reduce the thinness of the metal to the diameter of a strand of human hair. During these operations, the 30-cm bar of Parachrom comes to occupy a length of two kilometers. It is rolled, heat-treated to temper it, and then wire drawn. In the first pass through a wire die, it is pulled with a force of 100 kilograms. After this, an additional element, oxygen, is introduced to the alloy. By passing the wire through a furnace, the Parachrom is encouraged to absorb oxygen through its surface. Oxygen changes the thermal coefficient of the material, allowing it to react in the desired manner when the balance wheel’s inertia changes.

Finally, the wire goes through its last drawing when it is reduced to 100 microns in diameter, resulting in a length of three kilometers. The wire is then flattened using high-pressure rolling, reducing it to 50 microns in thickness and 150 microns in height. It is cut into sections 20 cm in length, which are placed inside a mold to provide the coiled shape of the hairspring, and then handrolled in the traditional technique. Remarkably, for all the work done by the massive and intimidating drawing and rolling machines, the operation to create the hairspring’s form is conducted by the human hand. Once the springs are separated, they are given a final heat treatment to relieve stress and ensure that they stay permanently in shape. The blue color of the springs is not due to flame bluing, but added during an electro-chemical process, which stabilizes the properties of the hairspring by adding a layer of oxide — essentially oxygen ions bonded to the exterior of the spring. After which, the hairsprings are given their signature Breguet overcoil, where the exterior of the spring is bent across the top of the entire spiral to aid concentric breathing, before being fixed to the collet and stud.

The strictest levels of precision are observed throughout the entire manufacturing of the hairspring — an embodiment of Rolex’s philosophy of ensuring that quality is optimized right from the very start of production. Says Rolex’s technical director Jacques Baur, “During hairspring manufacturing, precision is of incredible importance. A variation between 44.9 and 45.1 microns represents a difference of four minutes in error per day. At Rolex, our philosophy is always to focus on quality right from the beginning.”

The entire article can be found at the following link,
    http://www.horomundi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3577

Great info. Some additional info I book marked some time back.

http://www.timezone.com/library/extras/200708222443

Comment

very good read. i like this type of articles.
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Parachrome Bleu hairspring.

Personally I think the parachrom hairspring is well and truly over-hyped.Its just because now that Rolex and many other brands have been forced to make there own escapement parts for the very first time ever. And mainly to stop the strangle hold the ETA Swatch group the main supplier of escapement parts to most of the Swiss watch industry for over 40 years Rolex included.

At the moment we have some cal 3135 with the parachrom and some without.It seems like it could be soon a replacement for the Nivarox springs that Rolex has used for the past 40 plus years . I cannot imagine Rolex operating one cal 3135 highly robotised line for the Parachrom and a separate robotised one for the Nivarox hairspring.

The Parachrom on paper might be a very slight advancement if you believe the hype Now the parachrome hairspring by Rolex and Spiromax hairspring by Patek were developed under a secret joint venture between the two companies, both used similar materials first to obtain their own patent but Patek went there own way.But whatever the name they call there hairsprings, it is still just a hairspring,and it don't do anything differently over the Nivarox ones or most other quality made hairsprings.

Now to date the only models to have the in-house escapement parts at the moment are below. But the parachom/paraflex is no big deal IMHO 90% pure hype as the average wearer would find no difference over the Nivorox ones that Rolex has used for the past 40 odd years.And to be called a Chronometer they all have to pass the same test no matter what spring or shock system is in the case.And accuracy mainly come from how a watch is regulated, if any movement is regulated correctly.Then even some low cost movements could pass the COSC test, today a chronometer is not the holy grail of watchmaking.

All Daytona
        All GMT II Ceramic
        All Sub Ceramics only
        The new 2010 Day Date II
        The new 2010 Date Just II
        Modern day Milgauss
        All DSSD
        All Yachtmaster II
        Explorer II (only with cal 3186)
        GMT 11 (only if it has Cal 3186)
        New 39mm Explorer.

Comment

Thanks for the Info !
          Focal JM_Labs .
          "The Sprits Of Sounds".

Rolex WG Daytona D series Silver dial 116509
          Rolex RG DD II with pink diamond dial V Series 218235
          Rolex YG President DD with Diamond and Ruby 18038
          Rolex Explorer I Black D series 114270
          Rolex DJ TT Grey Dial 16233
          Rolex Precision 6694 Black Dial
          Rolex Precision 6694 Silver Dial
          Rolex Oyster Perpetual Z series black dial 176200
          Panerai 233K 8 days power reserve
          Cartier Santos 100XL
          Hublot Big Bang Edition 44mm

Comment

That's MARKETING for you : )
            Rolex GMTIIc 116713LN V-series
            Franck Muller Color Dreams
            TAG Heuer Series 2000 Exclusive
            Seiko Alarm World Time 5T52
            Seiko Titanium Alarm Chronograph 7T32
            Casio G-Shock
            Citizen Eco Drive Titanium
            Carven Neptune
            Ellesse Sport
            Citizen Manual Winding

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
              Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

It's always a joy to read & learn new knowledge from your threads.

Thanks for the time, effort & unselfish sharing of your knowledge.
                Current
                ------------
                SS Rolex Submariner (Black)
                SS Rolex Daytona (Black)
                SS Rolex Explorer II 42mm (Black)

Comment

Originally posted by daytona 6263 View Post
                  WHOLE BUNCH O' STUFF
                  if you've copied and pasted from other people's post... you should cite their original links.

now, i'm not saying the new hairspring is not overhyped... but although rolex could have made a replacement hairspring themselves from "normal" material... they did not.

the parachrome blue hairspring is:

more resistant to temperature change and thus more accurate...
                  more pliant (10 time more shock resistant than invar) and more reliable...
                  less reactive to magnetism, and thus more accurate and reliable...

the fact remains that rolex could have simply continued to use kif shock and nivarox hairsprings if they wanted to, yet they didn't. whether this is for marketing purposes, cost-cutting reasons, or simply part of their evolving nature as a "manufacture"... we'll never know.

what we know is although for MOST of us, whatever the hairspring is inside a rolex watch, it will be sufficiently reliable...

AND...

although it's not easy to make, rolex does not think that the change of hairspring is enough to warrant a modification of their calibre's reference number (3135 remains 3135, whether installed with a parachrome hairspring or not)...

AND...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3lEiFUmVM
                  “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                    if you've copied and pasted from other people's post... you should cite their original links.

now, i'm not saying the new hairspring is not overhyped... but although rolex could have made a replacement hairspring themselves from "normal" material... they did not.

the fact remains that rolex could have simply continued to use kif shock and nivarox hairsprings if they wanted to, yet they didn't. whether this is for marketing purposes, cost-cutting reasons, or simply part of their evolving nature as a "manufacture"... we'll never know.

what we know is although for MOST of us, whatever the hairspring is inside a rolex watch, it will be sufficiently reliable...

AND...

although it's not easy to make, rolex does not think that the change of hairspring is enough to warrant a modification of their calibre's reference number (3135 remains 3135, whether installed with a parachrome hairspring or not)...

AND...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3lEiFUmVM
                    The main reason for Rolex plus many others now to make there own escapement parts for the first time is that the Swatch group that owns Kif and Nivarox stated a few years back.That sometime 2010/11 they would cut of supply of escapement parts to all outside the Swatch group.
                    And the video if you don't wear your watch dial down with the case back off. And with a great magnet dangling over the movement,I would seriously doubt if the average wearer would find any difference whatsoever.And these words are my own and so are the ones above Rolex have been very good with marketing hype, remember the classic it takes 12 months to make a Rolex oyster and they make around 850000-900000 units a year...

Comment

My experience is Parachrome BLUE DOES work and keeps very very acuurate time + or - 1 second a day. GMT2c, DAYTONA.

The rest using older calibre non-BLUE 3135 DATEJUST, 3130 EXPL , 3185 EXP2 not so accurate - some are up to +10 to +12 a day. And these are ONly 3 year old watch bought BNIB from local AD stock !

Comment

The main reason for Rolex plus many others now to make there own escapement parts for the first time is that the Swatch group that owns Kif and Nivarox stated a few years back.That sometime 2010/11 they would cut of supply of escapement parts to all outside the Swatch group.
                        And the video if you don't wear your watch dial down with the case back off. And with a great magnet dangling over the movement,I would seriously doubt if the average wearer would find any difference whatsoever.And these words are my own and so are the ones above Rolex have been very good with marketing hype, remember the classic it takes 12 months to make a Rolex oyster and they make around 850000-900000 units a year...
                        Bro your figures not accurate already. The latest WATCHTIME mag says ROLEX only sent 607,512 watch for COSC testing in 2009

Production dropped drastically which is good news ...

Comment

Originally posted by DM101 View Post
                          Bro your figures not accurate already. The latest WATCHTIME mag says ROLEX only sent 607,512 watch for COSC testing in 2009

Production dropped drastically which is good news ...
                          Well first they dont send any watches to the Swiss COSC they only send the bare uncased movements not even the auto winding mechanium is in place.While I would agree Rolex production is now down dont forget Rolex still make watches like the Cellini range.Even as far back as 2001 Rolex then had over 760000 bare movements tested at the Swiss COSC.

Comment

Originally posted by DM101 View Post
                            My experience is Parachrome BLUE DOES work and keeps very very acuurate time + or - 1 second a day. GMT2c, DAYTONA.

The rest using older calibre non-BLUE 3135 DATEJUST, 3130 EXPL , 3185 EXP2 not so accurate - some are up to +10 to +12 a day. And these are ONly 3 year old watch bought BNIB from local AD stock !
                            With any watch no matter what the movement or hairspring its how they are regulated many of my vintage Rolex run to + 1 second a day.Even one Rolex old timer from 1924 still runs well within todays COSC spec and with a bit of simple regulation could better.But if any mechanical watch can run to a few seconds a day either way thats perfectly adequate for me whats in a couple of seconds a day anyway. of

Comment

unless you're officially quoting someone from rolex... or unless you're from rolex... there's no way you can tell us with any certainty that the parachrom hairspring is because of swatch... plus, as i understand it, swatch is not cutting off supply but regulating supply of parts so as to not help the proliferation of replica watches that directly hurt brands in their portfolio.

rolex has continually been moving their watch production entirely in-house (dials, etc), and without proof, neither can i say with any certainty that this (paraflex, parachrom, et al) has been something planned by rolex since 19xx or 20xx.

but what we know is, the parachrom has been installed in daytonas for a rather long time. i'm quite sure that it doesn't take a year or two to come up with the material and process of making the hairsprings found in those daytonas... so my question to you is: do the dates align? or was rolex given prior information that in a decade or two, supply will stop?

fyi, tudor is still using ETA movements... and many other parts made by companies from the swatch group... as are many other reputable watch brands.

the caseback is NO BARRIER to magnetism - if it was sufficient to protect against magnetism, the faraday cage would not be used in the milgauss (i am in no waya implying that the milgauss is immune to magnetic fields).

stuck hairsprings and lousy timing due to a magnetized hairspring are common in mechanical watches. all the recent innovations are the result of many many years of R&D so as to reduce (and where possible, eliminate) this problem.

you probably don't meddle with hifis, etc, or have not had unexplained timing issues with your watches due to magnetism...

and remember, i never said anything about marketing hype, but the practicality and possible reasons for the invention and use of the parachrom hairspring.

additionally, i will also go as far as to say that i strongly believe that if your watch did not come with a parachrom hairspring, it will NOT be replaced with a parachrom hairspring by RSC.

further, i don't believe the process of installing the hairspring is (currently) automated but a process that requires human hands.

finally, it is very difficult to answer your first post as it's a hodge podge of mish mash. i hope this has been insightful and clarifies my position.
                              “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X