Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of straps

Hi all

I did a search but did not turn up much reviews on straps. Considering the cost of some of these straps and the fact that they are usually bought from the internet - without seeing the real thing - I hope to hear some reviews from fellow Paneristis with experience with some of these straps.

I'm looking for a rich, textured brown leather strap to lend a historical, rugged casual feel to my 312 (which comes with a classy black alligator) - perhaps something like ammo straps. But the quality of the strap is more important to me than the colour. I think the qualities I would be looking for are:
    (i) water/sweat resistance (especially with our hot and humid climate!);
    (ii) suppleness and comfort;
    (iii) quality of leather (ages well with wear/time?);
    (iv) workmanship (e.g. of stitching);
    (v) price (looking at ~$200 or less).

Grateful for reviews on leather straps from the common brands like GSD, Simona, Heroic18, as I am looking to buy one only at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Watch Collection (click for photos!)
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust
    Tag Heuer Classic 2000 Limited Edition Red/Green Dial
    Seiko Titanium Samurai
    Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Limited Series
    Panerai Luminor 1950 Marina 3 Days Automatic
    IWC Ingenieur
    Sinn U Black (THG Limited Edition)
    Chopard Gran Turismo XL Alfa Romeo (Limited Edition) (sold)
    Panerai Luminor 1950 Submersible 1000M
    IWC Portuguese Automatic

heroic straps from hobbylink? i kinda like their muddy and rugged looking brown straps.
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
      heroic straps from hobbylink? i kinda like their muddy and rugged looking brown straps.
      yesh,Pam watches looks even more stunning with old vintage straps.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. H18 has an ongoing promo where they're giving out a "ltd ed" brown leather strap with purchase. Looking at their Crazy Horse, Natural Tan and Deep Vintage Tan straps. Anyone wearing these with pix to share?

Originally posted by louie View Post
        yesh,Pam watches looks even more stunning with old vintage straps.
        Yup, definitely. The pictures I've seen online are stunning. Can't wait to fit my Pam with new shoes.

Seiko Titanium Samurai
        IWC Ingenieur
        IWC Portuguese Automatic

Comment

Well, I don't think you will find one single strap that has all the qualities you're looking for..

Most leather straps aren't water proof.. there are some water proof ones, treated with Kodiak, but they cost way over $300.. and won't have the ammo feel..; that's why Panerai supply a rubber strap.. for times when you'll be exposed to water..

The other thing is that you can't really tell if a strap is just perfect without strapping it on and wearing it for a while.. hard straps can become soft and comfortable with wearing.. some soft straps are just too soft and don't give much support.. it's a very personal thing.

One way is to custom make a strap.. where you tell the strap maker exactly what you need.. you'll need to be patient and probably will have to pay more than $200 for it, but it'll be worth it.. Most of the strap makers, inc those in Singapore, can do a custom..

You'll probably end up buying many straps, like many of us! Welcome to the addiction

Comment

oh, dint know here got strap makers for PAM leh...wow, like that PAM all the more customisable to each person's liking..
            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

oh, dint know here got strap makers for PAM leh...wow, like that PAM all the more customisable to each person's liking..
              There is more than one strap maker for Pam in SG.... J & S is one good example.... Yup that's the beauty of Pam.... Having been changing my straps everyday hehe...
              PAM 233K :woohoo:
              IWC BP 5004 :D
              Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
              Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

Originally posted by Valjean View Post
                Hi all

I did a search but did not turn up much reviews on straps. Considering the cost of some of these straps and the fact that they are usually bought from the internet - without seeing the real thing - I hope to hear some reviews from fellow Paneristis with experience with some of these straps.

I'm looking for a rich, textured brown leather strap to lend a historical, rugged casual feel to my 312 (which comes with a classy black alligator) - perhaps something like ammo straps. But the quality of the strap is more important to me than the colour. I think the qualities I would be looking for are:
                (i) water/sweat resistance (especially with our hot and humid climate!);
                (ii) suppleness and comfort;
                (iii) quality of leather (ages well with wear/time?);
                (iv) workmanship (e.g. of stitching);
                (v) price (looking at ~$200 or less).

Grateful for reviews on leather straps from the common brands like GSD, Simona, Heroic18, as I am looking to buy one only at this point.

Thanks in advance!
                For the qualities you stated, the price of the strap would be about 300 plus... Simona Bruno Allegrini would be a pretty good choice. It's a divers leather strap and is produced in limited quantities.
                PAM 233K :woohoo:
                IWC BP 5004 :D
                Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
                Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

wah 300+ for a strap? don think can afford to have many to change if buy all at that range....

Comment

Originally posted by rotan View Post
                    There is more than one strap maker for Pam in SG.... J & S is one good example.... Yup that's the beauty of Pam.... Having been changing my straps everyday hehe...
                    simi is J&S?

me thinking of getting homage to test water first leh..keke....

Comment

simi is J&S?

me thinking of getting homage to test water first leh..keke....
                      jason & sharon..

To try out,my advice is get a preown historic model and try.If later regret,sell it also don't lose much.Btw homage is not water proof...

Comment

thanks for the info. if buy homage, don think will swim with it. mayb just wash hand or in the rain should be ok i guess

Comment

For the qualities you stated, the price of the strap would be about 300 plus... Simona Bruno Allegrini would be a pretty good choice. It's a divers leather strap and is produced in limited quantities.
                          190 euros, quite steep indeed! Actually, I'm not looking for a waterproof strap as I won't be diving or even swimming with the Pam. Just looking for a strap that is relatively resistant to sweat in particular.

Seiko Titanium Samurai
                          IWC Ingenieur
                          IWC Portuguese Automatic

Comment

Any reviews of JNS straps? Their's are fairly costly too.

Seiko Titanium Samurai
                            IWC Ingenieur
                            IWC Portuguese Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by Valjean View Post
                              Any reviews of JNS straps? Their's are fairly costly too.
                              I have bought a strap from jason before & the service is pretty good; he delivered it to my place without extra charges. I would strongly recommend you to give him a shout.

BTW, I dont work for him; just a satisfied consumer.

Alex
                              I rather push my Alfa Romeo than drive a BMW

Alfa 1.5 Sprint
                              Alfa 33
                              Alfa 147
                              Alfa GT
                              Alfa Spider 3.2 V6- now
                              Alfa 4C- maybe next time

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile