panerai noobie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panerai noobie

recently been looking into this panerai thingy, seem like quite addictive and more complex than rolex. when i 1st started to look at the panerai models, wow.. got some many models until i

besides the model, still got some many different kind of movement, until recently have the panerai in house movement

i also notice that PAM retain values pretty well, probably better than rollie?

being a noobie, which starter watch would be a good choice?
    i was looking at PAM113, 90, 104, 88. is there any thing to note for particular series of these models? or production numbers?

thks in advance to PAM experts

Originally posted by yeshe View Post
    recently been looking into this panerai thingy, seem like quite addictive and more complex than rolex. when i 1st started to look at the panerai models, wow.. got some many models until i

besides the model, still got some many different kind of movement, until recently have the panerai in house movement

i was looking at PAM113, 90, 104, 88. is there any thing to note for particular series of these models? or production numbers?

Yes there are a lot of models in the Panerai line up, but many of those are actually discontinued or SE. The movements you are looking at could either be ETA based movement or the in house movement which came out about 3 years back. The first in house is P2002.

I would not say that Panerai retains its value better than Rolex but it's pretty popular, especially in Asian context, where it is gathering a cult following.

As for production series, the later the alphabet the newer the watch is. Just get what your heart tells you to but getting a historic model as a first Pam would be a good buy. 111,000,005,112,210,183 are very nice historic models.
    PAM 233K :woohoo:
    IWC BP 5004 :D
    Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
    Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

Watch has value retention? Really?

Let us look only at currently produced 44mm models first.
      24, 25, 113, 90, 88, 104, 164 & 113 will not retain value as much as 0, 5, 111, 112, 176, 177 & 243.
      0, 5, 111, 112, 176, 177 & 243 will not retain value as much as 219, 233, 270 & 312 and impending 305, 320 & 321.
      219, 233, 270 & 312 and impending 305, 320 & 321 will not retain as much value as 292K.

Now, let us look at SE and discontinued models like and pre-vendome and sample of the few Post-vendome that i can recall; 1, 2, 4, 9, 16, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28, 56, 64, 115, 117, 123, 127, 194, 195, 202, 203, 217, 232, 249, 267, 285, 292J, 341 and upcoming 341 & 28L. They will command increased valuation over time as time has proved previously.
      Even under current economic situation, these models hold better than most vintage Rolex, PP, AP & etc.

Plus point, any current production PAM that may get discon't in future may also command higher price.

All is subject to collectors' personal appreciation, trend & economics.

A Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 was SGD100k last year, now a BNIB is only SGD55k.

The key message maybe PAM has less value lost over time when you buy it and wear it within 1st 3 - 10 years....and, given time over long term period of say 5 - 10 years, it may appreciate more than most brands, I think.....just my 2cents.

Comment

I have heard so many good things about PAMs - hold value better, good potential for appreciation, etc.

What are the downside of owning PAMs? Is the servicing cost
        generally higher? Is the cost of daily use higher? (consider strap
        changes).

Comment

[QUOTE=Fred_Tan;191627]Let us look only at currently produced 44mm models first.
          24, 25, 113, 90, 88, 104, 164 & 113 will not retain value as much as 0, 5, 111, 112, 176, 177 & 243.
          0, 5, 111, 112, 176, 177 & 243 will not retain value as much as 219, 233, 270 & 312 and impending 305, 320 & 321.
          219, 233, 270 & 312 and impending 305, 320 & 321 will not retain as much value as 292K.

Now, let us look at SE and discontinued models like and pre-vendome and sample of the few Post-vendome that i can recall; 1, 2, 4, 9, 16, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28, 56, 64, 115, 117, 123, 127, 194, 195, 202, 203, 217, 232, 249, 267, 285, 292J, 341 and upcoming 341 & 28L.
          QUOTE]

Wah power!! can rem all these numbers!!
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

A true WIS hehe....

Comment

Originally posted by Fred_Tan View Post
              Let us look only at currently produced 44mm models first.

Now, let us look at SE and discontinued models like and pre-vendome and sample of the few Post-vendome that i can recall; 1, 2, 4, 9, 16, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28, 56, 64, 115, 117, 123, 127, 194, 195, 202, 203, 217, 232, 249, 267, 285, 292J, 341 and upcoming 341 & 28L. They will command increased valuation over time as time has proved previously.
              Even under current economic situation, these models hold better than most vintage Rolex, PP, AP & etc.

Plus point, any current production PAM that may get discon't in future may also command higher price.

All is subject to collectors' personal appreciation, trend & economics.

A Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 was SGD100k last year, now a BNIB is only SGD55k.

The key message maybe PAM has less value lost over time when you buy it and wear it within 1st 3 - 10 years....and, given time over long term period of say 5 - 10 years, it may appreciate more than most brands, I think.....just my 2cents.
              wah... all the lumber make me blurr blurr leow

thks for the great info

Comment

Originally posted by R-oyster View Post
                I have heard so many good things about PAMs - hold value better, good potential for appreciation, etc.

What are the downside of owning PAMs? Is the servicing cost
                generally higher? Is the cost of daily use higher? (consider strap
                changes).
                You only do a servicing once every 3 to 5 years, so that's not very expensive as it's not an everyday affair. As for straps, there are many alternatives to fit your budget, so there shouldnt be any problem; you could have a look at the Strap For Sale sector. I didnt like Pam in the begining cos it looks too big for my small wrist till I tried a 112 on, after that, I am hooked!!

Only downside is that there are many fakes out there, but that also serve as a compliment to the brand. If the product isnt popular, nobody would wanna make any fakes, right? So, it is a two edged sword lah; but I reckon some people wont mind wearing a fake Panerai or fake Cartier cufflinks, so different strokes for different folks.
                I rather push my Alfa Romeo than drive a BMW

Alfa 1.5 Sprint
                Alfa 33
                Alfa 147
                Alfa GT
                Alfa Spider 3.2 V6- now
                Alfa 4C- maybe next time

Comment

1 more question, are the titanium case models more expensive than the SS models?

when it comes to maintenance, like scratches or dings, can it be polish off titanium like in SS?

Comment

Originally posted by turboducky View Post
                    You only do a servicing once every 3 to 5 years, so that's not very expensive as it's not an everyday affair. As for straps, there are many alternatives to fit your budget, so there shouldnt be any problem; you could have a look at the Strap For Sale sector. I didnt like Pam in the begining cos it looks too big for my small wrist till I tried a 112 on, after that, I am hooked!!

how much will generally one servicing cost? $300 ? $500?

Comment

Servicing about 500 for ETA based Pams and higher for in house movements.

Comment

1 more question, are the titanium case models more expensive than the SS models?

when it comes to maintenance, like scratches or dings, can it be polish off titanium like in SS?
                        titanium cant be polished. If tio scratch means tio scratch liaoz. something like PVD.

only Polished SS can be polised back to like new. brushed SS not sure if can re-brush anot
                        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                          titanium cant be polished. If tio scratch means tio scratch liaoz. something like PVD.

only Polished SS can be polised back to like new. brushed SS not sure if can re-brush anot
                          thks bro, am considering a 176 or 111

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X