PDA

View Full Version : Guide : Comparison between Real & Fake Rolex

ricnas1
15-01-08, 10:06 PM
Not sure if this has been posted or not....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1146346587689437065&q=rolex+submariner+replica&total=284&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

minusplus
15-01-08, 10:20 PM
Have never seen this in the forum before. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Darkangel
15-01-08, 10:40 PM
Oh yeah...I watched this before quite awhile back. Hahhaa...i downloaded it on my com last time...but deleted already

blackjack
16-01-08, 10:22 PM
cool link.

feudallordcult
15-07-08, 02:50 PM
http://74.50.21.220/~watch18/forums/showthread.php?p=118392#post118392

seiko.citizen
15-07-08, 03:31 PM
that is scary man, all the minute details put together really make a fake look very damn close

keltzar
16-07-08, 01:19 AM
I had a chance to handle a fake 16710LN once. In comparison to my real 16710LN ... moving things like the crown, bezel etc. felt rough on the fake... but what was most telling... in the hand the fake was notably lighter.

Darkangel
16-07-08, 08:25 AM
Of course from far it looks identical..but when of course when u touch it...it's a world of difference

seiko.citizen
16-07-08, 08:26 AM
not as refined, but out in the urban jungle and to those not familar with the minute details of watches, it can pass off as real :wow:

Darkangel
16-07-08, 08:35 AM
not as refined, but out in the urban jungle and to those not familar with the minute details of watches, it can pass off as real :wow:

Yup...that's true

chongj88
16-07-08, 02:37 PM
Of course from far it looks identical..but when of course when u touch it...it's a world of difference

Agree with DA. Sometimes hard to tell from photos... Especially at the angles and lighting condition which they are taken in. But once you handle enough Rolexes, you will likely know it when you hold a fake one.

Darkangel
16-07-08, 03:46 PM
Yup...my rule is...the only thing a replica cannot replicate is the quality....it can imitate the looks ONLY...thats the most it can do

feilong108
16-07-08, 03:50 PM
true...well said....the replicas movements are light years from the original...lol....afterall rolex uses their in-house movements...not ETA...hahaha..so very hard to replicate...lolz...

seiko.citizen
16-07-08, 07:36 PM
i wonder if any of the counterfeiters are actually watchmakers, and as such create a 1:1 replica of the real deal. Not for the sake of selling, but to find out the real cost of a rolex :laugh:

Darkangel
16-07-08, 08:04 PM
i wonder if any of the counterfeiters are actually watchmakers, and as such create a 1:1 replica of the real deal. Not for the sake of selling, but to find out the real cost of a rolex :laugh:

I think the cost of a rolex is not high say ard less than a $100 for a SS model? but of course the gold pieces are more expensive due to the material

I think the high cost is due to the amount of R&D and advertisements that rolex does.

seiko.citizen
16-07-08, 09:09 PM
i was more interested in the variable cost component (ie. cost of the watch/box/etc etc), the fixed cost such as R&D, advertising, etc etc that is part of parcel

SeaRolex
19-07-08, 06:41 PM
this is really useful and it makes newbie like me wiser and wiser....great info and created awareness:thumbsup:

Victor
13-09-08, 02:20 AM
Was looking at the Fake LV link and notice about the Swiss Made touching 5 min hand.
Is the M Sub LV series also touches the 5 min hand or just 3?

This is what I found;;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/2576883326_957063a94c.jpg?v=0

deadbench
13-09-08, 10:05 AM
i don't tink we are able to see the coronet so easily.. i tot tat 1 need to see with magnifier?

Darkangel
13-09-08, 11:25 AM
Was looking at the Fake LV link and notice about the Swiss Made touching 5 min hand.
Is the M Sub LV series also touches the 5 min hand or just 3?

This is what I found;;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/2576883326_957063a94c.jpg?v=0

:confused: :confused:

Dun get your question..:bonk: I catch no balls :knock:

i don't tink we are able to see the coronet so easily.. i tot tat 1 need to see with magnifier?

Yeah we need to see with a magnifier...and it's not easy to take that pic,you must have the correct angle,brightness etc..to be able to see it

Victor
13-09-08, 02:53 PM
My england so powderfull no one understand ah?:bonk:
I mean the Swiss made at the 30min.
Should it touch 5X min marker or 3Xmin Marker only?

Think Z and M series touch 3 min only

bambiboi
02-10-08, 12:09 AM
My england so powderfull no one understand ah?:bonk:
I mean the Swiss made at the 30min.
Should it touch 5X min marker or 3Xmin Marker only?

Think Z and M series touch 3 min only

the last (most recent) production has the Swiss Made spanning 5 markers, if you see 1 spanning 7 markers, it's a fake :yay:

bambiboi
02-10-08, 12:13 AM
I think the cost of a rolex is not high say ard less than a $100 for a SS model? but of course the gold pieces are more expensive due to the material

I think the high cost is due to the amount of R&D and advertisements that rolex does.

I would est ard $300 on the SS ... $100 is too low i feel, the watchmaster's man hours to assemble the movement can easily cost $100 for the labour ..

psee
14-10-08, 02:53 PM
Scary that the replicas actually look so close to the real thing these days ...

buaysaikum
30-12-09, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHWfHSIoQx8

definitely will get me fooled if worn on someone's wrist!

differences (from my own gmt2c) so far:
1... too much gap between the SEL and case, when viewed from the caseback
2... the bezel clicks are damn loud
3... the ugly blue protective stickers, but that could sometimes be stuck on by 2nd hand dealers on genuine pieces

wah lao eh dun dare to buy from grey market liao mans... makes me wanna bring mine(bought from watchlink) for verification at RSC!

caeden
30-12-09, 10:37 PM
The bezel is not there yet. The SELs are not there yet.

But....WOW!!!

Sinner
30-12-09, 11:03 PM
scary man!

Ian Limm
30-12-09, 11:17 PM
if you have the watch in your hand, do the "shake test" and you will instantly know if real or fake.

the rolex logo on the clasp look like the typical fake stick on too.

also it is always easier to fake stainless steel models because it is just steel that is why I go for 18K or half gold models.

Darkangel
30-12-09, 11:26 PM
if you have the watch in your hand, do the "shake test" and you will instantly know if real or fake.

the rolex logo on the clasp look like the typical fake stick on too.

also it is always easier to fake stainless steel models because it is just steel that is why I go for 18K or half gold models.

Yeah that's right...Ian got it...hehe..

Anyway 1 thing to note...the colour of the green hand and the words aren't green enough. ;)

edsonchan
30-12-09, 11:48 PM
There is no quick date function and we cannot move the GMT hands like that on the original.....

RolexSD
31-12-09, 06:30 AM
when adjusting the time, i thought the moving "second" hand will stop until u finish adjusting it. Correct me if i am wrong.

edsonchan
31-12-09, 10:46 AM
After you pull out the crown completely, it should stop.

adrian28
31-12-09, 11:50 AM
Look at the 3(date) in the video....looks very bold and rough...

unlike the original is much finer and not so bold.

Darkangel
31-12-09, 12:18 PM
Frankly speaking lah...

If you don't own 1 or never touched 1 before..you cannot tell 1 because you have nothing to compare with

edsonchan
31-12-09, 12:21 PM
Frankly speaking lah...

If you don't own 1 or never touched 1 before..you cannot tell 1 because you have nothing to compare with

Yea.... I know that....:blushed: :blushed: :blushed:

HappyRolex
31-12-09, 03:17 PM
hi eveyone if u own a Rolex it will be very easy to tell the replica one
or else get 1 replica and compare it but must be high end replica la

DM101
31-12-09, 04:14 PM
The replica looks real. Hard to tell the diff unless the wearer remove it 4 your inspection :wow:

The way it functions gives it away including the date fonts and size.

Where can i buy this ? For the fun of it...

deadbench
12-01-10, 06:29 PM
the date looks bad,
the clasp looks fake,

Andy jk
13-01-10, 02:13 AM
There is no quick date function and we cannot move the GMT hands like that on the original.....

Bro Edsonchan are right. No quick date function and GMT hand cannot move that way. If i'm not wrong, the GMT hand (Green Hand) should be between the hour and minute hand for GMT IIC, just like the same as Explorer II. The watch look so fake to me.

exxondus
13-01-10, 11:27 AM
there ARE fake GMTIIcs with the correct hand stack. But luckily, they havent been able to clone it such that it works flawlessly :D

NaesHaes
18-01-10, 12:21 AM
Look at the 3(date) in the video....looks very bold and rough...

unlike the original is much finer and not so bold.

Yap I spotted that too. The date on real Rolex watches and that fake Rollie is different. The number is off a different type.

newbie09
01-02-10, 09:29 PM
I saw many fake rolex at HCMC, Viet. Was wondering who in sg will service this fake watches if ur happen to spoil or require servicing since it is also auto movement. Cheers.

Ian Limm
01-02-10, 10:25 PM
Most of the fakes last only a few months of usage so dont bother to service them.
the common problems are the date stop functioning or not in alignment or if you knock the watch the hour and minute hands come loose! or it just stop functioning after a few months so in the long run it may be expensive to wear fakes too:laugh:

louie
01-02-10, 10:43 PM
there ARE fake GMTIIcs with the correct hand stack. But luckily, they havent been able to clone it such that it works flawlessly :Dbro only time will tell....to replicate 1 : 1 on the cosmetic appearance.

newbie09
03-02-10, 07:37 PM
Most of the fakes last only a few months of usage so dont bother to service them.
the common problems are the date stop functioning or not in alignment or if you knock the watch the hour and minute hands come loose! or it just stop functioning after a few months so in the long run it may be expensive to wear fakes too:laugh:

Isit really that bad??

Ian Limm
04-02-10, 12:37 AM
another common problem the screws in the links become loose and come out, causing the whole watch to drop and the end...

then there are the AAA fakes, those costs $450 to $500, they last for a few years and the costs of changing the movement is about $200.

Kobelala
10-03-10, 09:44 PM
sorry, but why would anyone want to buy a fake and wear it as if he owns like the real thing ??

taxico
12-03-10, 08:05 PM
i just left a meeting of local watch collectors... and i have some news to share...

a friend took out a vintage white sub head and told me to check it out (the case back was not tightened)...

the watch felt right, and everything looked good from the outside, so i inspected the insides... a little dry looking but it's a real rolex movement.

when i told my friend it's an average looking vintage sub, he laughed and told me to carefully inspect the stamping inside and outside the watch... and that's when it hit me - this is a super rep.

while i have heard and seen pictures of super replica rolexes, today was the first time i've seen and felt one. this is a very good rep. on the wrist, you CANNOT tell the difference except that the case looks new...

there are rolex replica cases being made somewhere out there that accepts (almost) ALL ORIGINAL ROLEX PARTS.

this means, other than the mid case and case back, EVERYTHING ELSE can be fitted with real parts.

fortunately this is limited to the rolex 1680 right now, and i recommend everybody be on alert.

what scammers are doing are now is to:

1. buy this case (it's being sold as an empty case) and retain only mid case and case back

2. bang up the watch case to make it look old by polishing it, scratching it and throwing it around

3. buy a cheap slow-set datejust and obtain 1570 movement (sell everything else as parts to recover some $)

4. buy a clark tube + clark crystal (only if necessary)

5. buy sub parts (some are aftermarket, some are genuine but used): bezel, bezel insert, crown (must use real), date wheel, dial (probably have to use real), hand set, bracelet (if fake, then with real clasp).

6. assemble everything, trade it in/sell it off.

the more unscrupulous ones will send it for a redial (white to red, or to repair a poor quality dial) so as to fetch a higher price.

it only costs about US$1,500-$2,000 to assemble a watch that one can get rid off for a minimum of $3,000-$4,000... buyer beware!

the super rep rolex 1680 has been slowly but surely surfacing in the USA, especially in recent months, and it's a matter of time before it starts to become more common.

such super reps have been reported by a few prominent VRF members as being found in some watch shops that took them in during trade in...

the only way to tell is to inspect VERY VERY carefullly the stamping between the lugs and check the case back for printing quality (very very very easy to miss/difficult to tell without experience).

also check the oyster link stamping carefully as a real clasp can be easily riveted back to a fake bracelet.. most people only check the clasp and assume if it's real, the entire bracelet is real...

as the saying goes... if it's too good to be true...

louie
12-03-10, 09:39 PM
i just left a meeting of local watch collectors... and i have some news to share...

a friend took out a vintage white sub head and told me to check it out (the case back was not tightened)...

the watch felt right, and everything looked good from the outside, so i inspected the insides... a little dry looking but it's a real rolex movement.

when i told my friend it's an average looking vintage sub, he laughed and told me to carefully inspect the stamping inside and outside the watch... and that's when it hit me - this is a super rep.

while i have heard and seen pictures of super replica rolexes, today was the first time i've seen and felt one. this is a very good rep. on the wrist, you CANNOT tell the difference except that the case looks new...

there are rolex replica cases being made somewhere out there that accepts (almost) ALL ORIGINAL ROLEX PARTS.

this means, other than the mid case and case back, EVERYTHING ELSE can be fitted with real parts.

fortunately this is limited to the rolex 1680 right now, and i recommend everybody be on alert.

what scammers are doing are now is to:

1. buy this case (it's being sold as an empty case) and retain only mid case and case back

2. bang up the watch case to make it look old by polishing it, scratching it and throwing it around

3. buy a cheap slow-set datejust and obtain 1570 movement (sell everything else as parts to recover some $)

4. buy a clark tube + clark crystal (only if necessary)

5. buy sub parts (some are aftermarket, some are genuine but used): bezel, bezel insert, crown (must use real), date wheel, dial (probably have to use real), hand set, bracelet (if fake, then with real clasp).

6. assemble everything, trade it in/sell it off.

the more unscrupulous ones will send it for a redial (white to red, or to repair a poor quality dial) so as to fetch a higher price.

it only costs about US$1,500-$2,000 to assemble a watch that one can get rid off for a minimum of $3,000-$4,000... buyer beware!

the super rep rolex 1680 has been slowly but surely surfacing in the USA, especially in recent months, and it's a matter of time before it starts to become more common.

such super reps have been reported by a few prominent VRF members as being found in some watch shops that took them in during trade in...

the only way to tell is to inspect VERY VERY carefullly the stamping between the lugs and check the case back for printing quality (very very very easy to miss/difficult to tell without experience).

also check the oyster link stamping carefully as a real clasp can be easily riveted back to a fake bracelet.. most people only check the clasp and assume if it's real, the entire bracelet is real...

as the saying goes... if it's too good to be true...taxico,thank you for the heads up! this has been happening yrs ago...if you have been lurking at the rep forums i guess you will not be surprised. Some parts on this rep are gen parts crown movt etc...

A note to the vintage buyers, if you are buying an older model be a Rolex or a Pam go deal with seller at the respective SC. Cos the SC staff will let you know if the part is original and if newer part has been installed. ie tritium model, hands been swapped for luminova or "aftermarket". (this is the worst scenario if it's "aftermarket")

taxico
12-03-10, 11:38 PM
taxico,thank you for the heads up! this has been happening yrs ago...if you have been lurking at the rep forums i guess you will not be surprised.

i have come across some fakes in private discussions on VRF but they are usually easy to tell at first glance... so i guess i was quite surprised at the quality of the fake... and have assumed a fake sub would have an ETA movement within.

it seems that the reality of today's pre-owned rolex market has risen to the point where it is worth someone's time and effort to cobble such a rep together.

as the prices are very unlikely to fall, the likelihood of encountering such fakes can only get higher and higher... there is no lathing or technical requirements to put such a watch together - with the right dial and hands, one can order the tools and parts to make such a rep.

the fact that by the time an unwitting owner finds out he has a super rep, it would be too late... and how many of us (if we were in such a position) would knowingly sell off only the genuine parts and throw away the fake case?

the owner would likely sell it the best he can, in its entirety to reclaim all of his money back... and then the cycle goes on...

louie is right... buyer of vintage watches have to be extra vigilant! the $75 spent at our local RSC is the best investment a vintage watch collector/buyer can make.

sportee
13-03-10, 12:08 AM
will rcs tells us which parts of the watch is fake or has been changed?

louie
13-03-10, 12:44 AM
i have come across some fakes in private discussions on VRF but they are usually easy to tell at first glance... so i guess i was quite surprised at the quality of the fake... and have assumed a fake sub would have an ETA movement within.

it seems that the reality of today's pre-owned rolex market has risen to the point where it is worth someone's time and effort to cobble such a rep together.

as the prices are very unlikely to fall, the likelihood of encountering such fakes can only get higher and higher... there is no lathing or technical requirements to put such a watch together - with the right dial and hands, one can order the tools and parts to make such a rep.

the fact that by the time an unwitting owner finds out he has a super rep, it would be too late... and how many of us (if we were in such a position) would knowingly sell off only the genuine parts and throw away the fake case?

the owner would likely sell it the best he can, in its entirety to reclaim all of his money back... and then the cycle goes on...

louie is right... buyer of vintage watches have to be extra vigilant! the $75 spent at our local RSC is the best investment a vintage watch collector/buyer can make.Good rep or some call AAA top grade rep is near impossible to tell by just looking at it. To know whether its a rep or a gen,RSC is the only way to go. To have a piece of mind and 100% assurance 75 bucks is all you have to pay...:D

Nowadays gen parts are so easily obtainable via VRF,fleebay,and some watch shops. So it just take time for one to get the parts and put them together. Usually this are like 40% gen,and 60% rep...this 40% gen parts would have easily cost thousands of dollars and after put together yesh still a rep! Cos if rsc chk they will NOT wanna further touch it if they spotted a part not genuine. They will return the watch back to you and inform you its not using genuine part watch has been tempered with "aftermarket" parts.

It will not make sense if one has to source 80% gen parts to make up the watch,too time consuming and too much $$ to spend on a rep. May as well buy gen...http://www.rolexforums.com/images/smilies/dummy.gif

louie
13-03-10, 12:58 AM
will rcs tells us which parts of the watch is fake or has been changed?yesh they will immediately return the watch to you and inform you watch has "aftermarket" part installed and they will not service it.

Bergeon
13-03-10, 09:17 AM
using a 10 or 14 x loupe to examine for flaws is the best way to go. however, you need sufficient experience looking and working with these watches to be able to differentiate them correctly. best is to compare the original??? to the fake. the key to authentication is to be observant and -

if you have doubt, consider it fake.

bringing it into authorised service center does not solve all the problem as it can be authenticated today as 100% original by estimator A today but when another estimator B looks at the exact same watch the next year, it becomes a fake. happens quite frequently with vintage models or between service center located in different country. remember, all estimation are estimates and carried out by humans.

exxondus
13-03-10, 09:36 AM

This part I don agree. Many models in rolex family have already been repped to be able to take the gen parts :(

Other brands such as PAM, Breitling, Omega, etc are also encountering this problem.

Hene, don save money when buying preown or from grey dealers. Get it authenticated!! :D

taxico
13-03-10, 01:16 PM
This part I don agree. Many models in rolex family have already been repped to be able to take the gen parts :(

the general conclusion was that for a few reasons 1680s are more poopularly replicated (and thus more limited to this model at the moment):

1. 1570 movements are easy to come by due to the sheer number of 1601 datejusts available in the wild.

2. good aftermarket acrylic crystals (eg, clark) are cheaper than sapphire crystals and indistinguishable from orig rolex tropic crystals.

3. there are a lot of 1680 subs made and it makes money sense to redial a 1680 dial (either from damage or to be turned into a red sub) than say a 5513.

4. subs are always easier to sell than any other models, especially a well priced vintage sub...

1680s are going for US$3.5k onwards. if it costs me under US$2k to make one, i can easily make $1k-$1.5k profit off each super rep i assemble...

to make a super rep of other collectible models of vintage rolex watches require a cost that is (currently) not viable, and gen parts are difficult to come by for most (eg, super rep tudor MCs are available but very expensive).

exxondus
13-03-10, 01:55 PM
the general conclusion was that for a few reasons 1680s are more poopularly replicated (and thus more limited to this model at the moment):

1. 1570 movements are easy to come by due to the sheer number of 1601 datejusts available in the wild.

2. good aftermarket acrylic crystals (eg, clark) are cheaper than sapphire crystals and indistinguishable from orig rolex tropic crystals.

3. there are a lot of 1680 subs made and it makes money sense to redial a 1680 dial (either from damage or to be turned into a red sub) than say a 5513.

4. subs are always easier to sell than any other models, especially a well priced vintage sub...

1680s are going for US$3.5k onwards. if it costs me under US$2k to make one, i can easily make $1k-$1.5k profit off each super rep i assemble...

to make a super rep of other collectible models of vintage rolex watches require a cost that is (currently) not viable, and gen parts are difficult to come by for most (eg, super rep tudor MCs are available but very expensive).

In terms of economics, I agree with what you say on making a super rep of 1680 and selling it as a gen vs fully repping other models

What i did not agree was your this statement:

"there are rolex replica cases being made somewhere out there that accepts (almost) ALL ORIGINAL ROLEX PARTS.

"

Probbaly I got your message in the wrong light. Reading the above with the word 'fortunately', you seem to be saying that only 1680 super reps can take real parts at the moment. This is def not true.

Anyway, from your later post on correcting me, I reckon that you are trying to say that only 1680s are being 'fully' repped at the moment and not the others despite other rep models already being able to take gen parts.

Correct me if my later understanding is incorrect.

Just a sidetrack, Modern models such as 16610 may cost you anywhere from SGD3-4k in total to make a fully rep with gen parts and movement (minus the 904L steel) and still being able to sell at 5k -> I would jump at a 5k Sub if it can be authenticated of cos :D.) Unethical earnings of 1-2k is still substantial to such people. just that as higlighted by you, the gen movement is much harder to come by.

cheers!

sportee
13-03-10, 02:45 PM
yesh they will immediately return the watch to you and inform you watch has "aftermarket" part installed and they will not service it.

Thanks for the advice..:)

taxico
14-03-10, 01:58 AM
Probbaly I got your message in the wrong light. Reading the above with the word 'fortunately'...

Unethical earnings of 1-2k is still substantial to such people.

i was trying to (but did not) say... "fortunately for us buyers of genuine watches, these super reps are mostly limited to the 1680 right now... with few other super reps that are as rampant..."

because if there are many many different super reps, it would be a tougher market for us collectors/buyers... thus "fortunate" in sense... : ) plus at the end of the day there WILL be people who will go for a good deal without authenticating the watch, especially less wary/experienced buyers.

criminals have done much worse for less money... !

just that as higlighted by you, the gen movement is much harder to come by.

the gen 3135 is not difficult to come by and readily available. however the 16610 dial (and all modern dials) are difficult to come by in large quantities as it is very tightly controlled.

there are many collectors and dealers hoarding tons of old dials (i've seen people with 100s and 100s of sub/sd dials)... plus older watch makers that are now steadily retiring will have a sizeable collection of vintage dials kept from before rolex geneva got strict.

as i understand it, these days an approved independent watchmaker with a rolex parts account can get any part of the watch except the dial/hands.

exxondus
14-03-10, 09:55 AM
the gen 3135 is not difficult to come by and readily available. however the 16610 dial (and all modern dials) are difficult to come by in large quantities as it is very tightly controlled.

there are many collectors and dealers hoarding tons of old dials (i've seen people with 100s and 100s of sub/sd dials)... plus older watch makers that are now steadily retiring will have a sizeable collection of vintage dials kept from before rolex geneva got strict.

as i understand it, these days an approved independent watchmaker with a rolex parts account can get any part of the watch except the dial/hands.

Thanks for the info!

ckhouse80
23-10-10, 01:02 AM
Today very free and went to JB biggest fake watch shopping center and did some research on fake watch....

1. Try to shake your watch, genuine very hardly hear to movement swing...fake watch can hear it very clearly.

2. The second hand with the superluminova round will be just beside the X (Rolex) once sweep at 1 o'clock position...fake watch a bit far from X.

3. Viewed through a 15x loop, the dial print very clear and "more 3 D"...fake watch just print on dial like photocopy on paper.

4. Series no. engraved on charter ring very smooth and clear....on the fake, the engraver seems to start and stop many times leaving build up in the "ditch" each time...

5. The series no. started from 27 minutes position and ended at 33 minutes position...3rd no. exactly at 6 o'clock position...eg V123456, V at 27 minutes position, 6 at 33 minutes position, 3 at at 6 o'clock position.

6. Genuine Rolex watch, "Rolex Rolex" engraved on charter ring started with center of 'R' from 7 o'clock position....you will be see 'R' at 7, 8,9,10,11 o'clock position...Rolex Crown engraved at 12 o'clock position....on the right side, the 'R' at 6,11,16,21 minuets position...'X' ended at 5 o'clock position

7. The laser coronet is at the lower edge of the crystal at 6 o'clock position and is so small that one can hardly see it with the naked eye. It can be found most simply if you take a look from the opposite side with strong oblique light directed upon the crystal. Usually only a small mark on the crystal can be seen, which, viewed with the help of a loupe, becomes a coronet...fake watch corroded or etched coronet with a thicker, more constant structure as a result will be more easy to see it with the naked eye.

8. Clasp Codes tally with year of production...my genuine V series with LT2 i.e. 2009 production...fake watch doest'n tally to watch series no. ...eg. fake watch with M (2008 production) series engraved on charter ring but with Clasp Codes is MA (2005 production), some fake watch do not have Clasp Codes.

9. The latest bracelet don't have numbers on end pieces that affix to the head...fake watch still produce as per old version...but some fake watch really 'updated' with latest bracelet.

10. The movement is the best way to spot the fake watch, according to internet source, fake watch using china made movement...recently fake watch try to copy authentic rolex 3135 movement but based on china movement as well....The problem for us is that we unable to open the movement to verify :(

The above just my owned view...feel free to add on you view...let all the members know more how to spot the fake watch... :)

zidaneong
23-10-10, 01:12 AM
Thanks for sharing. :) As i seldom get the chance to handle a fake rolex. :)

Darkangel
23-10-10, 01:24 AM

Can be like me go buy a chiong 1 for fun hahaha

Oceanklassik
23-10-10, 07:26 AM
Interesting. If only those illustrations come with pics..:)

triton
23-10-10, 07:31 AM
i see from the other perspective. you need to handle both real and fake to at least know how to see the difference.

Oceanklassik
23-10-10, 07:38 AM
This gives me an idea to share here for the next/coming mega meet-up:wow: ! May be the forum committee can consider to obtain and bring few fakes to the meet-up, as purely a form of education for us amateurs?

exxondus
23-10-10, 09:13 AM
Can be like me go buy a chiong 1 for fun hahaha

but chiong one also not cheap leh :(

P88
23-10-10, 09:21 AM
This gives me an idea to share here for the next/coming mega meet-up:wow: ! May be the forum committee can consider to obtain and bring few fakes to the meet-up, as purely a form of education for us amateurs?

Good idea! If there is, I'll like to attend. :-)

triton
23-10-10, 09:37 AM
would Oceanklassik like to sponsor one?

ckhouse80
23-10-10, 10:13 AM
haha...for sure the staff not allow me to take picture there lah...

Interesting. If only those illustrations come with pics..:)

ckhouse80
23-10-10, 10:15 AM
I agreed with u...the staff told me that super grade one need about S$450... i would rather use it in future for rolex servicing :)

feilong108
23-10-10, 10:16 AM
super grade? i find that the grading in the fakes are kinda of interesting...

Darkangel
23-10-10, 10:21 AM

Zidane! You bring your Black daytona along....I got a black "daytona" can use to compare

Darkangel
23-10-10, 10:21 AM
I agreed with u...the staff told me that super grade one need about S$450... i would rather use it in future for rolex servicing :)

Ask her $450 can bring into Rolex for servicing ...then you buy :evil:

Oceanklassik
23-10-10, 12:22 PM
would Oceanklassik like to sponsor one?

If I have, I don't mind to bring but where can I buy one in Singapore. I don't mean those 'obvious' fakes. Not worth the compare. Regretting it now I didn't buy few from China, when I last visited months ago. It costs between S$60-S$80, and the fakes looked rather real..:p

feilong108
23-10-10, 12:29 PM
wow....go to shenzhen or bbk lor...got plenty to choose from..

Oceanklassik
23-10-10, 12:37 PM
wow....go to shenzhen or bbk lor...got plenty to choose from..

Sure, if you sponsor my trip there, I buy a few for the forum..:D

feilong108
23-10-10, 12:39 PM
hehehehe....go there to relax a few days lar boss...then can buy all brands...can spot AP,pams,rolexes,richard mile,cartier and many more...u named it they have it

kenlinliu1419
23-10-10, 12:45 PM
The easiest way to tell a fake Rolex in JB is when someone approaches you and asks whether you are interested to buy a Rolex! A cheap and genuine one! :numchuck:

ckhouse80
23-10-10, 12:46 PM
haha...if can hor...i will buy tones liao....

Ask her $450 can bring into Rolex for servicing ...then you buy :evil:

feilong108
23-10-10, 12:47 PM
hahaha..their punch line is so irony...to me rolex and cheap are worlds apart in the way to use them together...cheap rolexes any one????

Hahahaha..sound corny enuff liao...

ckhouse80
23-10-10, 12:47 PM
they said super grade means very closed to authentic based on outlook. But, i still can spot some points here and there :)

super grade? i find that the grading in the fakes are kinda of interesting...

feilong108
23-10-10, 12:50 PM
to me fake is a fake...hahaha..how 'super' grade oso very easy to spot to me....the moment i see the crown i cringed...me not high end or loaded...for me i prefer to go for lower end brands than a fake..hehehehe...so i m not well versed in fakes...hehehehe.....

yong5
23-10-10, 01:41 PM

I've got a 'genuine' GMT 2 to share for comparision if there is a meet up. hahas.

Oceanklassik
23-10-10, 03:58 PM
Good. KIV until the next forum meet and we shall be able to make a physical comparison. Tx.

:)

zidaneong
23-10-10, 06:09 PM

Good idea. :)

jermy76
23-10-10, 08:21 PM
If anyone of u wanna buy a fake for the purpose of comparison, let me know cos i'll be heading to Beijing in mid Nov. My friend already told me to get him a Tag & Omega :P

benbean
23-10-10, 10:31 PM
I heard they also use the real ceramic bezel on the best GMT2C fake.
Rolex claims 40 hours to make each bezel, now the chinese are making it by the truckload??

ckhouse80
02-11-10, 10:37 AM
seem like more and more members interested to compare the "real" Rolex and Authentic Rolex...is good....this article can educate everyone to know more about watches:)

mecafe1
09-11-10, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the pointers.

franciz
06-08-11, 10:21 PM
Read in some blog writings by a HK rolex guru. He mentioned that a genuine Exp2 should have some laser mark of the "crown" at the six o'clock position (refer below picture), is it true. How come mine dont have?

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4115/rolexexplorer2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/rolexexplorer2.jpg/)

CFC
06-08-11, 10:44 PM
this appear on the newer series,older series dun have it.

Oceanklassik
06-08-11, 10:46 PM
You are not wrong but not totally right. This is one of the security features against counterfeit and almost all ROLEX watches should have it. If your watch does not have it, then there may be some problem. I'm not sure when this feature came about though. So it may also depend on the age of your watch?

franciz
06-08-11, 10:59 PM
My Exp2 is V series bought from THG 3 months ago.

Oceanklassik
06-08-11, 11:02 PM
Look harder then!

franciz
06-08-11, 11:03 PM
Phew..found it!!!
It was so freaking small.

CFC
06-08-11, 11:05 PM
My Exp2 is V series bought from THG 3 months ago.

view it in different angle and u should be able to see it.try harder

cck1609
06-08-11, 11:43 PM
You are not wrong but not totally right. This is one of the security features against counterfeit and almost all ROLEX watches should have it. If your watch does not have it, then there may be some problem. I'm not sure when this feature came about though. So it may also depend on the age of your watch?

tat means my GMT2c shd hv this feature too?

CFC
06-08-11, 11:45 PM
tat means my GMT2c shd hv this feature too?

yup,my sold v series GMTIIC had it too.

franciz
06-08-11, 11:46 PM
Thks Oceanklassik & illusion84 :)

CFC
06-08-11, 11:49 PM
Thks Oceanklassik & illusion84 :)

u're welcome.enjoy ur stay here.cheers. :thumbsup:

Watcha
07-08-11, 12:03 AM
the fake one have it too.

but if u can see it easily, probably not made by rolex.

cck1609
07-08-11, 12:26 PM
need to use magnifying glass?

Oceanklassik
07-08-11, 04:37 PM
No need (for me).

Watcha
07-08-11, 05:10 PM
No need (for me).

Proof that u eye sight is good. Keke

Need good light n eye sight to see with naked eyes.

franciz
07-08-11, 05:15 PM
Tilt your watch to the side, shine torch light, you should be able to find it jus abv the 12 hour mark of the bezel.
Room light too bright is difficult to see.

Oceanklassik
07-08-11, 05:24 PM
"12 hour mark of the bezel" :confused: .. Thought it's at 6 o'clock?!

franciz
07-08-11, 05:33 PM
"12 hour mark of the bezel" :confused: .. Thought it's at 6 o'clock?!

on top of 6 o'clock of the dial, above 12 o'clock bezel same.

raylww81
23-08-11, 12:08 PM
My Milgauss GV dun hav lei..

rockdaman
23-08-11, 01:16 PM
My Milgauss GV dun hav lei..

116400gv doesnt have it

novaol
23-08-11, 01:19 PM
Anyway the fake nowadays also has the markings on their sapphire crystal glass too. I have seen it on a fake GMT IIC and also DateJust. But you can find as fake if you look carefully for those who own the same model, otherwise it would be quite difficult for a naked eyes as they have no references.

triton
01-01-12, 12:13 PM
taken from youtube

TU76nhgpQCk

adamteo
01-01-12, 12:59 PM
thanks!! one of my fav shows on History.

louie
01-01-12, 01:32 PM
that is one lousy fake LOL, guys don't judge or believe frm photos or videos! They could have been gen (show u gen , shipped you a fakee) or Photoshopped. Even in person putting a top grade rep side by side with a gen you can't even tell....the reps is getting better this days, scary but true!

Old saying buy the seller first...

singapore_nomad
16-02-12, 12:17 AM
Hello - Ive been looking on line at some pictures of the new explorer and trying to find some obvious things to spot a fake.

Rolex has mentioned the following :
1) Crown lazer into the glass at the 6oclock marker - see this if light is shone around 3oclock marker

2) Serial number of the watch is engraved inside the watch around the inner bezel. between the glass and dial

Are there any more? Some of the pictures have what looks like a bar code on the case (opposite side to the crown) What is this?

triton
16-02-12, 12:46 AM
are you buying new from gray dealers, i suggest that you go get it authenticated to have peace of mind.

the bar code is rolex possibly for inventory?

Hello - Ive been looking on line at some pictures of the new explorer and trying to find some obvious things to spot a fake.

1) Crown lazer into the glass at the 6oclock marker - see this if light is shone around 3oclock marker

2) Serial number of the watch is engraved inside the watch around the inner bezel. between the glass and dial

Are there any more? Some of the pictures have what looks like a bar code on the case (opposite side to the crown) What is this?

bigbrudder
16-02-12, 09:03 AM
I have seen some pix of fakes where the hour hand is longer. Suppose it will be a matter of time before the fakers come up with something new.

Dfive
16-02-12, 09:05 AM

Does the DSSD have this ? ( Point 1 ).

madtunas
17-02-12, 05:52 PM
yes it certainly has

triton
05-04-13, 08:45 AM
ups

triton
05-04-13, 08:46 AM
appreciate all members who have contributed to teach fellow members how to spot.

do note that this thread serve as a guide and is by no means comprehensive. buyers are to practice due diligence when buying from non authorized dealers.

Rolex-man
06-04-13, 03:06 AM
some people wear real , people think it is fake.

some wear fake, people think it is real.

dont be too into it.

just be true to yourself

greeniewhite
10-04-13, 11:31 PM
wow...this is really an eye-opener

Helanga
20-04-13, 08:37 PM
thx for sharing this info.

xzqt
20-04-13, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the video and information

national09
21-04-13, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all the useful information contributed as it really enhanced my knowledge.

zhleez
21-04-13, 10:11 PM
Thank you for sharing. I am looking for a pre-owned sub and this information will be invaluable.

Great123
22-04-13, 11:22 PM
There are also 3131, 3156 copy movt out there