Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newest/noobiest member seeking advise

Hi all

I have always like the oversize watch on my wrist and I fell in love with the deep sea at first look

Need some good advise from all bros here...
    My friend keeps telling me it is ok to blow $12K+ on a Rolex as the value would drop 20% max or sometimes you might even be able to make money! Is this true?? Is this true of the DS?

Thanks a million in advance

Rolex retaining value is very good, especially sports model. My friend who got a GMT 1675 10yrs ago at $2.2K is now worth $8-9K for your info. But then again, not all watches are targeted by collectors

Comment

Originally posted by scubaboy View Post
      Hi all

I have always like the oversize watch on my wrist and I fell in love with the deep sea at first look

My friend keeps telling me it is ok to blow $12K+ on a Rolex as the value would drop 20% max or sometimes you might even be able to make money! Is this true?? Is this true of the DS?

One more question..
      Whats with the different series from the watch?? z? v? m?
      Any significance? Does it affect the resale value??

Thanks

Comment

about the value, what your friend's advice is correct.

you must have the passion to keep the watch, not just for investing.

Enjoy your new Deep Sea.

Comment

Z, M, V are series denoting the year of production. It won't significantly affect the resale price but it will just slightly maybe between $100 - 300...

One more question..
          Whats with the different series from the watch?? z? v? m?
          Any significance? Does it affect the resale value??

Thanks

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
          - GMT II
          - GMT IIc TT
          - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
          - Master Eight Days (1608420)
          - U1
          - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

The punch line... BUY within your means and what you like. NEVER on installments or on borrowed money....

After wearing it for sometime, you decide to flip it for something else, it won't depreciate as quickly as other brand (exceptional of PAM).

If you are buying for the sake of investment, then I believe nobody here can tell you exactly what model will fetch $$ in 1 yr, 2 yr, 5 yr, 10 yr time...

Hi all

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
            - GMT II
            - GMT IIc TT
            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
            - U1
            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

i would say the deep sea might have to wait for 20 years or so to have a possible good resale value for possibly a short period of time.

take for example, when 16600 was to be discontinued, there was a sudden surge in demand driving prices somewhat up a little. then the economic downturn/meltdown kick in and the prices also soften.

based on my observation, a panerai over the past 2 years prior to the financial downturn/meltdown has a better retaining value compared to rolex.

do not invest in a watch thinking that it would reap good returns. resale of value depends on several reasons such as limited pieces, good movements, good heritage, etc, etc. will the DSSD retain good value? i dont know.

buy a watch because you like it primarily. it is a bonus that the rolex has good retaining value. depreciation of 20% is not as good as investing in blue chips shares.
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

A big Thank you to all forumers here for answering my queries.

I truly like the watch and I can afford the watch for now, I just think its sinful to spend so much money on a watch at this time when everyone is tightening their belt. haha..

But truly appreciate all the replies.
                Will post a pic of the rolex (whichever model) when I get it

Comment

A big Thank you to all forumers here for answering my queries.

I truly like the watch and I can afford the watch for now, I just think its sinful to spend so much money on a watch at this time when everyone is tightening their belt. haha..

But truly appreciate all the replies.
                  Will post a pic of the rolex (whichever model) when I get it
                  When everyone tightens their belt...it's THE time to buy

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X