Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy yourself the G-Shock GA Series only if…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy yourself the G-Shock GA Series only if…

Curious about the growing number of G-Shock collectors in Jakarta, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines, I braved myself to walk into a G-Factory at Orchard one day.

The staff there was friendly and I was allowed to try every watch that my finger pointed at, namely the brightly colored ones that caught my eye. These were the GA Series which uses a smorgasbord of plastic parts and a plethora of colors making each watch look eye-candy. Wah, like rojak!

Foto below shows examples of the GA Series

After trying all of the GA Series, I come to a conclusion that most have one BIG problem for me… LEGIBILITY & VISIBILITY!

Here’s an example of what I mean.

The hour hand seems to be camouflaged and it took me sometime to read time. Other watches in this series seems the same.

The watches are nice & big but these new ultra-techie looking G-Shock models sacrifice a bit of legibility for fashion & style. Both hands are non lume-coated and not ultra easy to see all the time. Some of the GA models have an optional LCD display that tells time but I find it too small to read time and most of the time squinting to do so. Well, it’s probably my age too.

Others in the same series, such as this below have contrasting colored hands which makes it easier for me to tell time.

Next, I was truly disappointed with the illumination. Since I can’t take photos at the shop, I found a web photo that best represented what I saw.

The hour hand seems to disappear upon illumination. Only the minute hand can be seen!

The problem is really with the LED application and the dial design. In the GA200SH models (above), the LCD screens are not backlit, which renders the watch totally useless at night to read time. Casio should use some kind of circular light-pipe under the outer ring. This would improve visibility, at least for the hands.

To me, the GA Series is a NO! It scores high on fashion & style but low on function.

So, buy yourself the G-Shock GA Series only if…

- you have spare cash
    - you just following the trend
    - you just want to display them in your cabinet
    - you are wearing the watch only in daylight
    - you have super-human night vision
    - you just want to complete your collection of every (or certain) G-SHOCK models

Note:- I'm only expressing my opinion here.

MOD, if this post is in the wrong category, please move it. TIA.
    Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
    • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
    • Montre de MarQue
    • Etoile D'Or
    • Hotel Indonesia
    • Glory Time
    • The Watch-Collector
    • Time Palace
    • The Swiss Connection
    • M Baker
    • Maurice Lacroix
    • Time Marques
    • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Ok no offense but honestly I thought where the hour hand has disappeared... And the fact that the design is too loud for me...

(THIS IS JUST MY OPINION PLEASE DON'T SHOOT OR KILL ME )
    "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

Well I do have a few of the GA series, I like the Cölöurful design but personally I think the watch is good for daytime only and I agree is a bit difficult to read the time when you have poor lighting.

Comment

good analyst! they juz too loud for old fug like mee!! this is why i stick to the old sckool models, and the latest buy was a all black...

Comment

Good observation in the aspects of functionality. Same for me, I went in to a G Shock shop in Nex on Wednesday and the only model that caught my eyes is those square shape model. Like what louie said, old liao.

Comment

Love those colorful ones though not wearing them for myself. My son loves them and wears them. They are his toys. Yes, several timings are not easily readable, anyway my son does not know how to read time yet so just nice for him as toys. Will post more on this thread when I have time to take photos of them.

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
              Good observation in the aspects of functionality. Same for me, I went in to a G Shock shop in Nex on Wednesday and the only model that caught my eyes is those square shape model. Like what louie said, old liao.
              Take a look at this square shape model.

Comment

Originally posted by gohaj View Post
                Take a look at this square shape model.
                WOW, this is nice!!! Where you saw it?

Comment

HaHaha.........about time someone made a comment. I have 2 g-shocks. Both Black. Both ulitarian.No fuss.....No fancy chapalang colours. I think the multi coloured G-shock pictured above makes a statement alright.......and its...."HELP MEeee.......I AM COLOURBLIND...........".........

Comment

I stick to my G Shock Frogman and Original G Shock.
                    Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                      WOW, this is nice!!! Where you saw it?
                      Not launch in SG yet I think. Coming soon item.

Comment

i love the colourful desings. the more rainbow the more i like lol

Comment

GA are more fun than function. Casio is a fun watch imho

Comment

Originally posted by lsho79 View Post
                            GA are more fun than function. Casio is a fun watch imho
                            You are so right my friend! But at my age and with my "flower eyes" I think I'll be skipping this model lah...
                            Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
                            • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
                            • Montre de MarQue
                            • Etoile D'Or
                            • Hotel Indonesia
                            • Glory Time
                            • The Watch-Collector
                            • Time Palace
                            • The Swiss Connection
                            • M Baker
                            • Maurice Lacroix
                            • Time Marques
                            • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

An interesting write up!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X