Grand Seiko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Seiko

Pardon my ignorance, can bro out there enlighten me why Grand Seiko is popular? And why the price is high considering it is made of Stainless steel? With the price we can get a better brand with good movement.

i'm not expert in this, but it took me awhile to pull a trigger on GS, after owning it, i decided GS is a watch for me to keep for long, if you have a chance side by side compare with other mid range swiss brand u will know wat i mean, you are not paying for the brand name or advertisement or ambassador, every single cent is well paid for R&D and the quality of the watch, the finishing is awesome, movement wise especially Spring drive diff ppl may have diff though on it, but i can accept the SD movement, else their hi-beat is another outstanding movement ever made, other auto are very durable and reliable too.

GS is unlike normal seiko watch, its carefully craft every single piece only made at one place, its not a mass production watch, every piece were perfected before goes to market, u hardly read about any lemon on GS as far i know. the polishing is top notch especially those with zaratsu (katana sword polish method), unlike other watch, the shine and smoothness are just superb

GS price are still no way greater than Rolex, as a owner of both watch, only my own personal opinion no offense to other, GS win it out easily

Comment

How much is GS bnib?

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZ View Post
        Pardon my ignorance, can bro out there enlighten me why Grand Seiko is popular? And why the price is high considering it is made of Stainless steel? With the price we can get a better brand with good movement.
        I don't own a GS. The movement is considered top notch , if not best but consider one of the best. GS owners are a different breed, they buy is due to the finishing, movement, accuracy and innovation .

Comment

With the price we can get a better brand with good movement.
          Are you able to give some example of brands with good movement which you are comparing with GS?

As for me I would love to own one.

Comment

GS is good, however, I cannot classify it as popular especially in SG. Rolex, Panerai, AP, ... etc are popular.
            It can be quite obvious in the Buy/Sell threads here.

Comment

bro if you want to know more take a look at June WatchTime magazine. Good comparison between the GS hi beat and the Zenith El Primero Espada. GS was faulted for its low nighttime visibility and higher price but win for modern manufacturing, craftsmanship and rates. Seiko at some point was ahead of its time ( do you know they were the first to produce an automatic chrono?) but as a brand they are not as popular... compared to the swiss brands but all the same, the GS is a fav with serious collectors. Doesn't help when ppl perception of Seiko is similar to citizen casio and digital watches at some time ...

Comment

Having owned a JLC and GS concurrently, I would rate the level of finishing for the GS as easily on par with the Jaeger. The dial and level of finish on the markers on the GS are exceptional. Where I do feel a GS tends to fall short is usually in the case work and the bracelet clasp.
                My Tumblr
                -------------------
                http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

Certain brand like zenith, Cartier, omega, GO etc... Some of their models prices are comparable to GS and brand wise, of course more popular than Seiko, that is What i think. But Didn't know GS is such excellent watch, think I need to study and research more on this...

Comment

I have a GS and many Rolex, AP, Pam. GS gives you a lot of quality at a reasonable price. It's like a Lexus among Merc and BMW. Love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                      I have a GS and many Rolex, AP, Pam. GS gives you a lot of quality at a reasonable price. It's like a Lexus among Merc and BMW. Love mine.
                      Especially so when yours a limited edition piece hehe.

Comment

Also check this online article

One reason that it was not as well known is because it was not sold outside hiroki-land before 2010.

http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-...ternationally/

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki
                          I Hope This Help

Good Luck
                          Eh Hiroki the first video is not outstanding la... Hate that guy

But having said that, I'd like to own a GS, BUT ONLY after I've bought the other watches that I've always wanted.
                          "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

seems like many GS collector here, we should have a gathering one day

Comment

I own a GS among other watches. GS quality is top notch.....Considering the price, it is value for money. Just that branding not as renown as a lot of Swiss brands.
                              My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
                              Rolex Submariner 16610
                              Rolex Submariner 116610
                              Rolex Date 1550
                              IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
                              IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
                              Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
                              Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
                              Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
                              Seiko Sumo SBDC001
                              Seiko Sumo SBDC003