Setting time for handwind watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting time for handwind watches

Just wondering, for owners of MMs or Manual winding PAMs, are you able to set the time backwards?

as in when u wish to set the time, u tune the min hands backwards instead of forward?

Reason I am asking this is because the MM that I purchased from Chriswatch in this forum has a issue when tuning the time backwards. When I bought it, it can be tuned backwards. After 1 week, cannot le. Send back to Chriswatch to fix, can again but now after another week, cannot again.

I spoke to him about this and he told me that handwind watches unlike mechanical auto watches should not be tuned backwards (moving the minute hand backwards). He even told me that i can move a few minutes backwards but not by the hours (apparently, not really true as althou I only move the minute hand in the MM I purchased from him backwards for 5 minutes once, now suddenly cannot again. ) Gave up and attributed it to MMs being of inferior quality.

just wanted to confirm if what he told me is true. I mean, paying $340 for the watch is not really a small amount actually.
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Of course the minute and hour hands can go backwards... No problems with that at all... So when you are getting Panerai or other established brands, you are paying for their reliability too... A good condition Rolex or Panerai might last you for a lifetime...
    PAM 233K :woohoo:
    IWC BP 5004 :D
    Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
    Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

hmmm can anyone who has bought the MMs from chriswatch come in and clarify?

what he told me abt the manual movements not being able to move backwards seems logical. He said that the gears are trying to move forward whereas I am trying to movebackwards and hece, its normal that the custom made MM tht i bought from him will have issues if i continue to tune backwards.

funny thing is, i only did it once and now its spoilt!! sigh, 340 down the drain got no reason man!!! should have just gotten the normal MMs from Elshn for just 130 kinda regret getting his custom made one now
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Is he still selling watches here? If yes, PM him and seek verification.
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
          Is he still selling watches here? If yes, PM him and seek verification.
          I already sent the watch back to him once to fix this issue. Now back again the issue.

The last time I asked him he told me that handwind watches are not supposed to be tuned backwards. And explained to me the gears wanting to move forward but I go and move backwards so will spoil the watch in the long run (turns out long run = 1 week or so for his custom pieces. )

hence, decided to post here to seek clarification. and yes, he is still selling watches in the dealer section of this forum.

Comment

A lesson learnt here. Sorry to learn of this. Do pester him. I do not think it is fair. Hope to see development.

Good luck.
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

ney, don think will change anything even if pester him. doubt he will be able to do much since he doenst assemble the movements.

the reason for posting this is just to learn more about the manual handwinds and to know if i had been doped by the explaination i got with regard to NOT winding backwards

Comment

I guess will be a bit hard to verify as the movements as highlighted is not made by him. But since your movement is the more common kind maybe can go watch repair shop and ask them to look at it?

Comment

rule of thumb is that the majority of movements are made to be wound fwd only. especially so if you are going backwards against the 12mn date changeover.

the exception to the rule is for watches that have specifically been designed, engineered and manufactured for backward winding and this includes the special capability of moving the date backwards also over the 12mn period without destroying the watch - examples are rolex GMT, UN perpetual calendar etc.

Comment

Thanks deckie, also found this on a webbie

As a general practice, no for mechanical watches, yes with some limitations for quartz watches. For some watches with mechanical movements, this is a bad idea for several reasons. First, the mechanisms are usually designed around moving forward, so some cannot take the stress of reversing properly. Second, after a mechanical watch settles in, reversing the watch against the pattern of wear may cause unnecessary additional wear.

Both mechanical and quartz watches with dates and other complications handled by mechanical parts can be harmed by rolling the time backwards--especially near midnight.

Despite that, many modern watches can be reversed with no problem. But it is best to check with the manufacturer to be sure. The one general rule is that if your mechanical watch's second hand does not stop when you put the watch in time setting mode, then you should definitely not turn the hands backwards.

The types of watches where it never matters to turn the time backwards are quartz watches where neither the date window nor the hands are moved directly by the crown. Two examples are the Breitling Aerospace and Omega Seamaster Multifunction. On both of these, the date appears on a digital display and the hands are moved forward or backwards electronically by commands issued by rotating the crown

Seems like what Chriswatch said abt the handwind movement is correct. Just wondering how come i nvr wind backwards it will also cause it to defunct. Anyway nm lah, as long as it still works then ok le.

Believe the bolded section above is the main reason why handwind movements should not be revsere wind. Theres no hacking system!!!

Comment

Tx for sharing.
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

for my swiss ETA 6497-1, i can move the hands back and fro with no problems....
                        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Just be a bit more hardworking and wind the hands forward lor... The watch still working fine right?

Comment

Shouldn't have problem even without hacking system. I turned watches (from japanese to swiss) front and back without any problem so far. Just need to be careful when setting dates for non rolee.

Maybe its prudent to not turn backwards.

Maybe the canon pinon (the shaft that connects the escapements' movement to the motion works) was set too tight?
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by rotan View Post
                              Just be a bit more hardworking and wind the hands forward lor... The watch still working fine right?

Ya fortunately still working. So nm loh like other bros mentioned, just b more hardworling and tune forwards lol.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X