how to set the GMT time zones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to set the GMT time zones

just got the gmt and cant figure why the bezal should move.

see photo below i have set the time to local time 10.45, the green second time zone is set to 12pm in another time zone, so why would anyone want to rotate the bezel? it could be a watch with fixed bezel and does the same job? the instructions are a bit vague.

I uses my GMT functions everyday on my GMT to keep track of another country time, let's say London time - 7 hours.
    E.g. On my GMT, the hour hand is at local sin time, i.e. 11am. The GMT hand is at the marker between 10 and 12 on the bezel. London time is 4am, so I then turn the bezel until the 4 marker is at the GMT hand. So, at a glance, I can see local time and london time at the same time.
    Hope this help.
    Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 M
    Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 M
    Rolex GMT-Master I 16700 U
    Rolex Explorer II 16570 Z
    Rolex Air-King 114200 M
    Omega SeaMaster
    Tag Heuer 6000 series, 90's Swatch watches, Seikos and Russian watches

Comment

Originally posted by williamsgl View Post
      I uses my GMT functions everyday on my GMT to keep track of another country time, let's say London time - 7 hours.
      E.g. On my GMT, the hour hand is at local sin time, i.e. 11am. The GMT hand is at the marker between 10 and 12 on the bezel. London time is 4am, so I then turn the bezel until the 4 marker is at the GMT hand. So, at a glance, I can see local time and london time at the same time.
      Hope this help.
      Why would you want to turn the bezel, I too have singapore as the main time and uk as the second time zone, but i just glance at my watch, the the little green arrow is pointing to the correct uk time on the bezel, no need to turn it, the green GMT hand is always -7 hours which goes back to the original question why are the bezal movable?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by capt chunder View Post
        Why would you want to turn the bezel, I too have singapore as the main time and uk as the second time zone, but i just glance at my watch, the the little green arrow is pointing to the correct uk time on the bezel, no need to turn it, the green GMT hand is always -7 hours which goes back to the original question why are the bezal movable?

thanks
        If your bezel is not moved, the GMT hand or 24hr hand is actually pointing at the "16" marker on the bezel, indicating it is 4pm in the afteroon. The miniutes are read off from the minute hand. The reason why I turn the bezel so that the GMT hand is point to the correct hour of London.
        http://www.koniaris.com/rolex/
        Hope this helps.
        Rolex Air-King 114200 M
        Omega SeaMaster

Comment

Thanks for that but still does not expalin why you have to move the bezal, why dont you set the GMT hand on the UK time?

Again one glance at my watch now, main hands 4.35 Singapore time, little green GMT hand (based on the bezal marker) 9.35 am uk time, no need to touch the bezel and i get uk and singapore time at once glance?

Comment

Now I understand what you mean...Picture do tells a thousand words! LOL! The GMT hand on my GMT I and my Explorer II cannot be set. It is fixed. It seems like the new GMTIIc GMT hand can be set independently....
            Rolex Air-King 114200 M
            Omega SeaMaster

Comment

the GMT can tell 3 time zones due to the rotational bezel.
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

The GMT hand on my GMT I and my Explorer II cannot be set. It is fixed. It
                Are you serious? thought that was the whole point of the gmt,

A chum just explained it to me. You always have the GMT hand on GMT (UK) time, which probably explains why the hand is called GMT hand and the watch is called Rolex GMT

If your second time zone is UK then you are laughing because you never have to move the bezel, the watch second zone will always show uk time, but if you travel to multiple location then you adjust the bezal to match the time difference.

But if you always have the same second time zone lets say Dubai, then you can change the GMT hand to show Dubai time and the bezal will not be moved as it will only show your local time and dubai time.

You sure about the older gmt cannot move the GMT hand? that cant be right? maybe needs a service

Comment

The GMT hand on my GMT I and my Explorer II cannot be set. It is fixed. It seems like the new GMTIIc GMT hand can be set independently....
                  the explorer II can only tell 2 time zones. the hour hand and the red hand for another time zone.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

So you are saying the green hand can be set independently by the crown? Cos on my Explorer II, I can only quickset the hour hand to another time zone. As for my GMT I, it does not have quick set function for the hour hand.
                    Rolex Air-King 114200 M
                    Omega SeaMaster

Comment

So you are saying the green hand can be set independently by the crown? Cos on my Explorer II, I can only quickset the hour hand to another time zone. As for my GMT I, it does not have quick set function for the hour hand.

Well yes and no, you would have thought the simplest way to set it up would be to let the green GMT be moved on its own.

But some reason Rolex decided it’s the hour hand that could be moved independently.

So you pull the crown out 3 clicks to set the green hand it moves all three hands, hour minute, and GMT so you turn the crown until the GMT hand points to the correct GMT time based on the bezel markings, you also adjust the minute hand to the correct position.

You then push the crown to the second click where only the hour hand moves and you set this to the local time, then that’s it you have local and GMT time and should you wish you rotate the bezel to give you a third time zone.

Comment

Originally posted by capt chunder View Post
                        Well yes and no, you would have thought the simplest way to set it up would be to let the green GMT be moved on its own.

But some reason Rolex decided it’s the hour hand that could be moved independently.

So you pull the crown out 3 clicks to set the green hand it moves all three hands, hour minute, and GMT so you turn the crown until the GMT hand points to the correct GMT time based on the bezel markings, you also adjust the minute hand to the correct position.

You then push the crown to the second click where only the hour hand moves and you set this to the local time, then that’s it you have local and GMT time and should you wish you rotate the bezel to give you a third time zone.
                        Thanks! I am going give it a try on my ExpII!
                        Rolex Air-King 114200 M
                        Omega SeaMaster

Comment

Thanks! I am going give it a try on my ExpII!
                          pardon me for asking. u never read the user manual for explorer II?

kindly email with
                          2. your nick

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                            pardon me for asking. u never read the user manual for explorer II?
                            Yes...in the manual, it said that the GMT hand will tells the local time when your hour hand is set to other counry's time. It never mentioned about the setting the GMT hand to other country's time while the hour hand is on local time...
                            Rolex Air-King 114200 M
                            Omega SeaMaster

Comment

Yes...in the manual, it said that the GMT hand will tells the local time when your hour hand is set to other counry's time. It never mentioned about the setting the GMT hand to other country's time while the hour hand is on local time...
                              eeerr........ok......

kindly email with
                              2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X