Longines Legend Diver on Vintage Tropic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longines Legend Diver on Vintage Tropic

Hello! First time posting here. I'm neither a Rolex owner nor from Singapore, but I owe this forum a bit of thanks.

About one month ago I was in Singapore on a short vacation. I'd been looking for a No-Date Longines Legend Diver for some months, and was having trouble locating one in southeast Asia. Immediately after arriving, I searched through new and used watch stores around Singapore, and all I found were two Date LLDs at Lucky Plaza. The Longines AD at Wisma Atria told me he could special order a No-Date, but that it would take several months!

Thankfully, I'd been in contact with one of your good members, Louie. As many of you know, the guy absolutely loves his blue PAM Sub. So much so that his recently purchased LLD was not getting any wrist time. I met him at ION so I could view the Diver, which was in near-spotless condition. We chatted about watches over coffee for a few hours, then agreed on price. Two days later, I paid him and took possession of the Longines and the massive box it comes in.

I didn't post until now, since I had ordered a NOS Tropic rubber strap just for this watch. Long Christmas delays meant that I only received it today. The finish of the Tropic is a lot rougher than we're accustomed to these days, but I think it completes the vintage look perfectly.

I'm very happy about my purchase, and I would like to note that Louie was an absolute pleasure to deal with. He was flexible with his schedule, honest, and helpful. I'd gladly buy from him again if the opportunity arises.

For now, please enjoy these pictures as I enjoy wearing what, in my opinion, is the most beautiful of the Super Compressor reissues:

Hi Martin, glad you have liked your LLD so much...i 'm still loving mine. Martin drop me a mail on your next visit to SG ya. Like your speedo! esp on the nato really niceee!!

Martin, you make the LLD amazingly stunning in this shots! awesome shots!!

Comment

Congratulations!
      It really is very nice! I agree with you that the non-date version looks nicer and better! Great find!
      Sweet 16:
      PP Aquanaut
      VC Overseas
      AP ROO Black Themes
      A.Lange & Sohne 1815
      Breguet Type XXI
      Blancpain 50 Fathoms
      JLC Navy Seals
      GO Senator 60s
      GP Laureato
      Zenith Pilot Extra Special
      Rolex DSSD
      IWC Big Pilot
      Pam 112
      Omega Ploprof
      Breitling Super Avenger
      Glycine F104

Comment

This is my next piece. are no date LLD really that hard to find? i was thinking maybe hour glass at scotss might have a piece. i was hoping this might pop up at a thg sale perhaps in the near future.

help anyone?
        fallraen
        "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

no date are harder to find. the date version is a poor man's JLC tribute to polaris.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Very nice watch! Congrats!
            运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Major congrats!
              The LLD is really a very nice piece, of all the various dive watch reissues over 2008/2009, it is probably one of the best executed versions. And the price is truly unbeatable...
              How about getting some new straps for it...?!
              "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
              three times is enemy action and
              over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
              ."

Comment

The watch is nice and pics definitely stunning . Glad that you shared with us. Congratz and tx!
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                  no date are harder to find. the date version is a poor man's JLC tribute to polaris.
                  have to agree with your comment about the poor man's JLC Tribute to Polaris. thats exactly the reason why i'm looking at this piece. I was considering the Polaris or Fifty Fathoms but ended up going for quantity and got a pam312 and a 3717 on bracelet.
                  fallraen
                  "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

this is the only longines watch that i really like...very nice and congrats on your purchase!
                    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                    Audemars Piguet ROO
                    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                    Panerai 270
                    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                    Rolex 116610LV
                    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Nice watch and great pictures too.....

cheers
                      Rolex Submariner 116610LV Alphanumeric Series (The Hulk)
                      Rolex GMT Master II 16710 COKE (Stick Dial) D Series

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The LLD might be easier to find if you're in the States or in Europe. I used to see second-hand examples showing up in watch exchange forums (at low prices) every couple of months. Nowadays, not as much.

The JLC Polaris is definitely near the top of my list of dream watches. I loved viewing the one at Passions, and the other example at Heirloom, but they're not exactly in the same price range! The Polaris dial is just gorgeous up close, and I can only wish the LLD had a similar Plexiglas dome. And who doesn't want an alarm function?! Maybe when the Longines warranty expires I can try replacing the crystal...

I know the vintage Tropic is an acquired taste, and the biggest negative to wearing it -in my opinion- is not being able to use the Diver's great buckle with its Super Compressor hash marks. Before the Tropic arrived, I was using a Bradystrap nylon strap, which is like a thicker version of the stock Longines strap. A possible future upgrade is to buy the leather basket-weave strap of the JLC Polaris, which sells for about USD300-400. I know that's nothing for you Panerai guys, but that's a big dent in my wallet!

Here's some pictures of the LLD in daylight, mounted on the Bradystrap:

Comment

very nice watch

now i am tempted
                          Daily Beater: Citizen BN0150-10E Eco-Drive Promaster Diver

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The vintage Tropic is an acquired taste, and really doesn't lend itself well to macro photography. These were cheap straps in the 60s and 70s, and were still cheap up to a few years ago, when a couple of guys managed to corner the market for vintage rubber straps!

The OEM Longines strap is a bit thin, but really very nice. The only reason I didn't wear it originally is because it's a bit big, and those incompetents at the Longines Flagship store refused to make new holes in it! (Really. The manager told me to try the watch shop in the Wisma basement. I did, and they sensibly told me to go the Longines AD!) I'll be in Hong Kong in a month, so I'll see if the Longines Service Centre is willing to bring out its hole punch!

Before receiving the Tropic, I had the LLD mounted on a Bradystraps 'Sailcloth' (nylon, actually), which is like a thicker version of the OEM strap. It also has the same 22/20 dimensions, which lets me use the very nice Longines buckle. Here's two wristshots in the daylight:

Still, I wonder whether I should have grabbed Louie's Gunny strap when I had the chance...

Regarding the JLC Polaris: I was able to view the one they had at Passions, and the example on display at Heirloom. Very, very beautiful, but a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Comment

Congrats on your purchase of the LLD and thanks for sharing your pics.

I'm looking at purchasing the same watch, and really love the way the watch goes with the Tropic strap.

I'm still quite new to this, and not so familiar with the Tropic strap. I have checked online and found that several places sell Tropic strap replicas. You mentioned that you bought a NOS (new old stock?) vintage Tropic Strap. Could you let me know where these might be sold, and how they are different from the modern replicas?

Thanks a lot!
                              Ronald

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X