New Arrival: Seiko SNZE93J1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Arrival: Seiko SNZE93J1

I've been trying to get hold of the Seiko SRP043K1 (200m diver with the 4R15 movement) for months. As the overwhelming demand drove prices beyond what i'm willing to pay for one, i thought of getting the SKA427 Seiko Kinetic Diver instead. I almost pulled the trigger on one at a retail outlet. It was only a difference of S$10, yet i walked away from it. The truth of the matter is i'm not convinced that Seiko's kinetic technology is suitable for me. As i'll probably be wearing the watch for only a day or two before storing it away for a week or more, there may not be sufficient wrist time to charge the cell.

I started looking at other Seiko automatics, such as the Monster and the FrankenMonster. I'm not so fond of the scallop bezel on the Monster, neither are the ugly studs and plastic case protector of the FrankenMonster any more appealing. I almost thought of shelving the idea of getting a Seiko until i saw this one on Ebay. Its the Seiko SNZE93J1. The design is almost like a cross between a Monster and a FrankenMonster.

I like the design of this blue dial. Under reflection, the dial gives off a very nice blue colour in the middle. Its surrounded by a grey ring up to the edge. The white markers and hands makes a nice contrast, providing clear legibility for reading time. The white tipped second hand adds a nice touch.

This model is a little bigger than most other Seiko 5s. It has a case size of 44mm excluding crown, with a thickness of 13.5mm. The non screw-down crown is located at the 4 o'clock position, just like the FrankenMonster. The bezel turns unidirectionally with 120 clicks. The turns are smooth and positive, with hardly any free play. Unlike the divers, this watch is rated for only 100m of water resistance.

The watch comes with a display caseback, housing the Seiko 7S36, a non-winding and non-hacking automatic movement. This watch is made in Japan, with the J designation indicating Japan domestic distribution.

The watch comes with a 22mm Oyster style bracelet that is big enough to accomodate 8" wrists. Together with the micro adjustments, it should fit almost any wrist. The links are solid but the end-links are hollow. It has a brushed finishing for most parts except for the sides. A push button deployant clasp together with a flip lock secures the bracelet. The folding clasp does feel a little low quality. In addition, i would prefer to have solid end links instead but at such an affordable price, i'm probably nit picking.

Seiko's lumibrite is indeed impressive. Here's a lume shot of the watch. The watch is glowing even under indoor lighting. To get a really bright glow, all you need is to expose the watch to a few seconds of window lighting.

At this moment, my initial impression of the watch is positive. Its pretty well made considering its price. It wears comfortably on the wrist and despite of the hollow end links, the watch case does not wobble. If you are looking for an affordable automatic that does not feel cheap nor lacking in quality, you should include this one on your shortlist.
    sys12345

http://simply-pen.blogspot.com/ - m4/3 Pen Blog

More pics below ...

sys12345

Comment

Nice! 44mm is big...but it wears well on ur wrist...

Tt was an informative and delightful read...well done
      Tks!!

Comment

bro can pm me the damage of this watch?

any idea to get it from local market eg, takashimaya level 4?

also u mention this is non-screw down crown? i tot all diver's watch are screw down crown?

nice watch i must say, and i am poison by it...

Comment

Thanks! Seiko watches are interesting, especially the sports and diver models with a bezel. Case is big, bezel is thick, dial is small. However, this is good news for those with a small wrist as the watch does not appear as big as it should be for a 44mm case.

Originally posted by Forsei View Post
          Nice! 44mm is big...but it wears well on ur wrist...

Tt was an informative and delightful read...well done
          Tks!!
          sys12345

Comment

Bro, check yr PM.

I dont think u can find this model in any retail outlet in Singapore. This model is meant for Japan domestic distribution. I got this one from Ebay, from one of the renowned Seiko seller. There are 3 colours for this model, black, blue and silver. The silver dial is quite nice too.

This is not a diver's model. It has 'only' 100m of water resistance, hence its fine without a screw down crown.

Its ok to be poisoned by Seiko 5 models, they dont break your bank account like Swiss or German watches.

Originally posted by wmatt76 View Post
            bro can pm me the damage of this watch?

any idea to get it from local market eg, takashimaya level 4?

also u mention this is non-screw down crown? i tot all diver's watch are screw down crown?

nice watch i must say, and i am poison by it...
            sys12345

Comment

I've been monitoring the accuracy of this watch for a few days. It appears that what others are saying about the later Seiko movements is true. They appear to be better regulated from the factory. I was expecting the 7S36B to be running at +/- 20 secs/day. It turns out that my watch is running at an average of +9 secs/day, not bad for a truly affordable auto.
              sys12345

Comment

hmmm not all seiko are make in japan?
                - 16613LN Sub

Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them. ~Dion Boucicault

Comment

Originally posted by sonikbyte View Post
                  hmmm not all seiko are make in japan?
                  not really, some are made in asia, so say malaysia, some say indonesia.

but the quality of the watch is top noch lah.

Comment

Originally posted by sys12345 View Post
                    Thanks! Seiko watches are interesting, especially the sports and diver models with a bezel. Case is big, bezel is thick, dial is small. However, this is good news for those with a small wrist as the watch does not appear as big as it should be for a 44mm case.
                    Yes, i notice it better now...tks for bringing up the point abt the smallish dial and thick bezel. I also notice the lugs do not extend out v much.
                    It looks just right on ur wrist. How large is ur wrist btw? for comparison's sake...
                    9s deviation/day is not too bad indeed

Comment

My wrist size is about 7.3" or so. The reason why i brought up the part about this watch wears well with small wrists is because i've got a friend with a very small wrist and he can wear this watch well. His wrists are so small that he cannot even wear any Ball EMII 40mm watch! The short lugs and small dial certainly helps in this case.
                      sys12345

Comment

Originally posted by sys12345 View Post
                        My wrist size is about 7.3" or so. The reason why i brought up the part about this watch wears well with small wrists is because i've got a friend with a very small wrist and he can wear this watch well. His wrists are so small that he cannot even wear any Ball EMII 40mm watch! The short lugs and small dial certainly helps in this case.
                        7.3", quite big...
                        Mine's abt 6.5 or so...but 40mm does seem to sit ok. Ur fren's wrist must be really small, like my bro-in-law's hehe...
                        Tks for enlightening me abt this seiko, and tt 44mm in this case is indeed wearable...

Comment

nice seiko watch!

my seikos say hi!

Daily Beater: Citizen BN0150-10E Eco-Drive Promaster Diver

Comment

Nice Samurais! The black and white pair makes a great combo, wear them in good health!
                            sys12345

Comment

nice pickup bro

Wear it in good health

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X