Seiko High End And Seiko Value Watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seiko High End And Seiko Value Watches

Now there is a misunderstanding in some, that people assume Seiko equals affordable/cheap. Most are undoubtedly referring to Seiko's normally found on the street in Europe and the Americas, and they are definitely a good, fantastic, value for the money. But you can also get vintage and new high end Seiko's, which, until the advent of the Internet, were relatively unknown outside of Japan. And a few other far east Asian countries (Taiwan, HK, Singapore ETC.) "King Seiko","Grand Seiko", and "Seiko Credor", you will find in these watches that, movement and case finish wise, easily compete with the best of mass produced swiss watches, i.e. Omega, Rolex, etc. As for style… well, that is in the eye of the beholder. At best they can be considered very conservative. But it really depends which movements,and watches you are comparing to. One true thing the Swiss, had to abandon the yearly chronometer competitions in the late 60s early 70s as the Japanese started to wipe the floor with them,they were that good.What this all boils down to is: Seiko makes some truly outstanding products, and some value for money ones, just like many other companies. If you want to buy one, you should, by all means do it. Because IMHO their bang-for-the-pound-factor is bloody amazing, at both ends of the spectrum.

Well there is Seiko and Seiko high end watches IMHO as good if not better than many high end Swiss.But some high end wearers today just wear a brand and not the watch.
    Remember this fact before the Swiss COSC was formed as it is now there were Observatory testing and competitions to a much higher standard

And during the entire 23 years of testing, 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%. Just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The others were: Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.That was until Seiko come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry.Only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of only serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All others were specially made movements just for the competition.And it was ended by the swiss in the early 1970s after two straight wins by the Japanese straight off the production line Seiko Grand watches.

Seiko first entered the competition,with other watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.For a much higher standard than the COSC,the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard (+/- 2/3 seconds/day) Out of many watches summited only two passed this test Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux this time a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days. ---Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.As the Japanese had dominated in the late 60s and the two preceding events, in 1972 some Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,thats when the lesser watered down Swiss COSC was founded.

Check out the regulator adjuster on this one! And check the shock protection on the non-balance jewels. That's real quality!and there own movement test, to a much higher spec than the Swiss COSC,with accuracy to a few seconds a week.

And selected Grand Seiko quartz model.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000-1 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 5 seconds per year,but with tuning easily down to
    less than + - 2 seconds per year.
    Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
    Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.

agree on this bro. Nice one.

Comment

I agree. High end Seiko watches are of top notch quality.

I like the Seiko SD600 very much. Its fully Titanium and thus pretty light. To me, its so much better than the Rolex Submariner.

Watch Lume is incredible.

If you look closely at the dial of the watch, its actually built up around the markers. In other words, the markers are not applied onto the dial like other watches.

Unfortunately, this is a Japan Only watch and cost about S$5k

Comment

my fave is Emperor Tuna and MM300
        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by sdchew View Post
          I agree. High end Seiko watches are of top notch quality.

I like the Seiko SD600 very much. Its fully Titanium and thus pretty light. To me, its so much better than the Rolex Submariner.

Watch Lume is incredible.

[IMG]http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/images/com/nctv/home/c6/ee/cd/19/5c46
          43da1000f154faf0899a.jpg[/IMG]

If you look closely at the dial of the watch, its actually built up around the markers. In other words, the markers are not applied onto the dial like other watches.

Unfortunately, this is a Japan Only watch and cost about S$5k
          I 'm only staring ur photo , no feeling at all.
          I'm Droofing !!!

Comment

+1 for this thread

"some men just want to watch the world burn."

Comment

Originally posted by sdchew View Post

Not sure if this is better than the Submariner....but certainly more functional. It is definitely a great looking watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunster69 View Post
                Not sure if this is better than the Submariner....but certainly more functional. It is definitely a great looking watch.
                rolex? common la....

i just went down to thongsia seiko....the grand seiko line is a killer...
                "It is not the watch, but purely is you who define the watch..." -pst666-

List: Montres de Luxe P48 Thunderbolt Chrono, ECW Panhard -M8D-
                whist: IWC Aquatimer Galapagos Island

Comment

Well said

Comment

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440...ary+edition%29

An old write up on Seiko MM300 VS a Sub, well it's an eye opener for those who appreciate the mechanics and quality of a watch and not just from a brand basis.
                    A fan of vintage and a proud member of the Seiko Club Singapore Forum

Watch Blog - http://jiehong.org/blog

Comment

yeah seiko rocks!

i want an mm300 leh..
                      Daily Beater: Citizen BN0150-10E Eco-Drive Promaster Diver

Comment

Tuna Can - MM300 or MM1000

Hi all, if you were to choose, considering price is not much of a diff, which would it be? the 1000m, or Tuna Emperor, is made of titanium (coated in black), making it lighter on the wrist (140g vs 210g for the 300m). I'll be going japan in oct and thinking of getting 1 of them. haven't figured out how to post photos here yet, so providing a link below:

http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...x011-1738.html

Would like to hear yr opinion.

thanks.

Comment

I'll be off to japan. just want to hear from bros/sistas here whether you would get the mm300 or the mm1000, ie the tuna emperor. i've held both in my hands n the weight of the mm300 is really very heavy whereas the titanium body of the tuna emperor is easier on the wrist. having said that, the mm300 is more conventional in design whereas the mm1000 is all black. any views?

thanks!

Comment

between an mm300 n the tuna emperor, which will u choose?
                            mm300 vs tuna emperor
                            s/steel vs titanium
                            s/steel "color" vs black
                            big vs very big
                            300m vs 1000m (ok, ignore this)
                            tuna emperor cost S$600 more

what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by bamforte View Post
                              between an mm300 n the tuna emperor, which will u choose?
                              mm300 vs tuna emperor
                              s/steel vs titanium
                              s/steel "color" vs black
                              big vs very big
                              300m vs 1000m (ok, ignore this)
                              tuna emperor cost S$600 more

what do you think?
                              I went for tunas. Have several, including the Emperor. I admire both case-types, but the uniqueness of Tunas in general won me over. If like many here (including me) you own one or more submariners, then a tuna will provide a very pleasant change in aesthetics.

You will not be disappointed with the Emperor. The diamond-like coated titanium monocoque case and ceramic shroud makes a very nice combination that seems (I haven't tried ) quite scratch-resistant. It is large, and you can still feel the weight despite the titanium. Lume is phenomenal, and the date wheel has a very nice satin/titanium-coloured backing that works very well with the hands and indices.

sms/whatsapp to 9OO3-8999

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X