The Omega Moon Watch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Omega Moon Watch.

The Speedmaster's relationship with outer space,began when they went to Corrigans shop a Texas dealer in 1961.And the NASA buyer bought 5 different brands of chronographs the Omega Speedmaster was one.NASA tested a number of Speedmasters in the 60s prior to Gemini Apollo flight.All these watches were before they changed to the Cal 861 movement.NASA bought a large quantity of Speedmasters in the 1960s,and in 1966 Omega added the word Professional to the speedmaster dial.It has been said that Neil Armstrong,had a problem with his watch,and did not wear one on the moons surface

But only Buzz and Armstrong are the only people to say what the first watch on the moon was. IMO it was most likely a speedy with the Cal 321,there were other readings that a Waltham and a Rolex GMT were used as a back up.But everything I have read my only conclusion is that the Omega Speedmaster had the Cal 321 movement on the lunar landing based on the Lemania 27CHRO-C12.And its documented that Jack Swigert's wore a Rolex GMT-Master in the main lunar orbit. And there was some kind of Bulova watch/clock somewhere in the spacecraft, but the claim that a Bulova time piece was on the Moon IMHO is little more than pure marketing by them.

What I have read Aldrin's speedmaster was the first on the Moon lunar surface.And its quite logical that he could have worn the same watch he had issued for the Gemini X11. IMO possibly a 1966 speedy when they first put professional on dial REF ST105012. Perhaps the later 1968 ST 145.012 model was left in the ship as a back up timer for computer. But one of the most important things on board the Apollo lunar mission were the mechanical watches no matter what the brand.

IMO a pre 1968 model ST 145.012 speedy with the Cal 321 movement was worn by Aldrin and the same model worn by Sheppard was the first Speedmasters on the moon . Because of the time line, Omega switched late 1968 to the Cal 861,there would not have been enough time for these new 861 watches to tested by Nasa.IMO it is possibility that a Cal 861 Speedy did get aboard in the 1970-1972 time-frame.Myself still think both 105.012-66 and a 145.012-66 speedy travelled to the moon that day.But still go along that the 105.012-66 was probably the first one worn on the lunar surface.All the facts come to the conclusion that it was a Cal 321 on the moon first, whether it be a Ref 105.012-66 or a Ref 145.012-66.

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
Working...
X