Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed: Finding Jeffrey Ho Fried Kway Teow

Hi guys,
    Me and an old mate were recalling the days of wasted youth spent in Serangoon Gardens in the early 90s when the topic of Jeffrey Ho's fried kway teow came about.

His stall that he took over from his retired dad in an obscure coffeeshop in Gardens (now obsolete and taken over by NTUC) and worked tirelessly on together with his mum is one of the best I've tasted (to me at least) in Singapore, where his Fried Kway Teow is fried to perfection in a generous serving size.

Seriously, no offence to the Fried Kway Teow uncle in Chomp Chomp but his, while above average, is nothing compared to Jeffrey Ho's and we'll patronize his stall at least once a week!

Firey with a hint of wok's breath and fragrant garlic that was served not too 'wet' and not too dry with a fair serving of pork lard cubes.

The best thing is that he remembers specifications very clearly as I was quite particular about having extra sweet sauce, extra chilli and $1 more raw cockles that he placed generously on top of a piping hot plate.

He has since moved away since the NTUC coffeeshop came about and if any 'food-God' bro or sis knows where he has moved to, don't mind if you can share.

Hope I made somebody hungry!
    Sweet 16:
    PP Aquanaut
    VC Overseas
    AP ROO Black Themes
    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
    Breguet Type XXI
    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
    JLC Navy Seals
    GO Senator 60s
    GP Laureato
    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
    Rolex DSSD
    IWC Big Pilot
    Pam 112
    Omega Ploprof
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Glycine F104

Google says his new shop is listed here but I could not see it as I am not a member of that forum

http://flowerpod.com.sg/forums/Fried...html&p=1300380

Comment

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
      Hi guys,
      Me and an old mate were recalling the days of wasted youth spent in Serangoon Gardens in the early 90s when the topic of Jeffrey Ho's fried kway teow came about.

His stall that he took over from his retired dad in an obscure coffeeshop in Gardens (now obsolete and taken over by NTUC) and worked tirelessly on together with his mum is one of the best I've tasted (to me at least) in Singapore, where his Fried Kway Teow is fried to perfection in a generous serving size.

Seriously, no offence to the Fried Kway Teow uncle in Chomp Chomp but his, while above average, is nothing compared to Jeffrey Ho's and we'll patronize his stall at least once a week!

Firey with a hint of wok's breath and fragrant garlic that was served not too 'wet' and not too dry with a fair serving of pork lard cubes.

The best thing is that he remembers specifications very clearly as I was quite particular about having extra sweet sauce, extra chilli and $1 more raw cockles that he placed generously on top of a piping hot plate.

He has since moved away since the NTUC coffeeshop came about and if any 'food-God' bro or sis knows where he has moved to, don't mind if you can share.

Hope I made somebody hungry!
      Gosh! I love that stall too!

Been eating it for many years man! Used to head down at least once a week during my sec sch days! (Just a few years ago )

It is the best Char Kway Teow I've eaten I really must say!

Very unfortunately, he let go of his stall just awhile before NTUC took over. I saw the new guy learning from him and taking over his stall after awhile but he was there to help. That guy's char kway teow is

I guess...it's the last of the authentic Jeffery Ho Char Kway Teow...

Originally posted by 5218-201/A View Post
      Google says his new shop is listed here but I could not see it as I am not a member of that forum

I was really hoping that the owner had let go of his stall at Gardens and went to somewhere else to open another stall instead....

so I signed up for an account with flowerpod just to view the thread. And...nope there was no new address

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Jeffrey

Agree it is one of the best char kway teow! Mother and son partnership provide awesome food and good service!

Comment

Originally posted by 5218-201/A View Post

Hi Bro,
          Thanks for your help but like Darkie said, no new address found.

Oh well, perhaps one fine day he'll surface...
          Sweet 16:
          PP Aquanaut
          VC Overseas
          AP ROO Black Themes
          A.Lange & Sohne 1815
          Breguet Type XXI
          Blancpain 50 Fathoms
          JLC Navy Seals
          GO Senator 60s
          GP Laureato
          Rolex DSSD
          IWC Big Pilot
          Pam 112
          Omega Ploprof
          Breitling Super Avenger
          Glycine F104

Comment

Bro Darkie and Sirex,
            Ah, you guys know the great tasting 'stall' (or rather, in correction to my first post, food) I'm talking about then and I'm sure your fond memories in Gardens were triggered!

It's a tad sad that he's gone missing as I used to patronize the stall from yonks ago and saw him as a teenager be an apprentice to his dad, learning the ropes and being slowly supervised and taking over the stall subsequently, where he morphed from padawan to fried kway teow master.

I guess if Darth Vader was a hawker and had his way, he'd also want Luke and Leia to take over in that manner too! Use the force to move utensils, use lightsaber to slice lap cheong, use jedi mind control to convince customers they made the wrong order i.e, "You didn't want Char Kway Teow mai hum"!

But seriously, looking back, it seems like one of the last few traditional acts of handing over a business from one generation to another where food and service integrity is maintained.

All the best to Jeffrey, maybe his legacy continues somewhere else or maybe he accumulated a tidy some over the years and used the golden wok to wash his hands.

Now my other mission is to find out where the tea and coffee uncle in the said coffeeshop went, hehe. His Iced Tea (Teh Ping) was to die for also, sweet, rich, thick and frothy! A lethal combination of Fried Kway Teow washed down with thick ice-tea was the way to go!

All these TV show hosts/makansutra folk don't know Jack, or in this case, Jeff!
            Sweet 16:
            PP Aquanaut
            VC Overseas
            AP ROO Black Themes
            A.Lange & Sohne 1815
            Breguet Type XXI
            Blancpain 50 Fathoms
            JLC Navy Seals
            GO Senator 60s
            GP Laureato
            Rolex DSSD
            IWC Big Pilot
            Pam 112
            Omega Ploprof
            Breitling Super Avenger
            Glycine F104

Comment

Bro Darkie and Sirex,
              Ah, you guys know the great tasting 'stall' (or rather, in correction to my first post, food) I'm talking about then and I'm sure your fond memories in Gardens were triggered!

It's a tad sad that he's gone missing as I used to patronize the stall from yonks ago and saw him as a teenager be an apprentice to his dad, learning the ropes and being slowly supervised and taking over the stall subsequently, where he morphed from padawan to fried kway teow master.

I guess if Darth Vader was a hawker and had his way, he'd also want Luke and Leia to take over in that manner too! Use the force to move utensils, use lightsaber to slice lap cheong, use jedi mind control to convince customers they made the wrong order i.e, "You didn't want Char Kway Teow mai hum"!

But seriously, looking back, it seems like one of the last few traditional acts of handing over a business from one generation to another where food and service integrity is maintained.

All the best to Jeffrey, maybe his legacy continues somewhere else or maybe he accumulated a tidy some over the years and used the golden wok to wash his hands.

Now my other mission is to find out where the tea and coffee uncle in the said coffeeshop went, hehe. His Iced Tea (Teh Ping) was to die for also, sweet, rich, thick and frothy! A lethal combination of Fried Kway Teow washed down with thick ice-tea was the way to go!

I have to agree, it definitely did bring me back down memory lane.

I saw the uncle at one of the coffeeshops in Balestier, bearing the same company name too.

Google this, 571 Balestier Road, it's in this place called mega foodcourt. Google map it you will find a nice pic. It's next to Balestier Hill Pri Sch I believe...

All the best in your hunt, hope he is still there and that I managed to help you in your search

Comment

Char kway teow

Btw he does white char kway teow as well as far as I can recall. My dad who is diabetic always asked me da bao without black sauce. To my surprise it tasted awesome as well! I suppose you need excellent frying technique to bring out the aroma and make it taste good without the add on sauce..

Bro Darkie and Sirex,

Comment

Thanks for the tip off, Darkie!

And yeah to Sirex, it takes good skill and fire control to imbue food with wok's breath. In fact, Fried Kway Teow slatthered with sweet sauce can be made by any amateur, only a well experienced chef manages to bring out the magic in white kway teow.

Hehe, maybe I'll search for him on facebook!
                  Sweet 16:
                  PP Aquanaut
                  VC Overseas
                  AP ROO Black Themes
                  A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                  Breguet Type XXI
                  Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                  JLC Navy Seals
                  GO Senator 60s
                  GP Laureato
                  Rolex DSSD
                  IWC Big Pilot
                  Pam 112
                  Omega Ploprof
                  Breitling Super Avenger
                  Glycine F104

Comment

OT.

my favourite char kway teow used to be those road side stall outside apollo centre where now it is a a four lane road.

i remember the char kway teow moved to hill street food centre next to central fire station.

then after that moved to bedok hawker centre opposite TJC. think the block number is 8 or 12. cant recall. the last time i went there, there are 2 woks. one by him when he feels like frying. another is by a female.

the female fry liao not as good.

another one is my army friend's father's stall @ old airport road opposite lau fu zi. the name still remain but the cooks fry liao not shiok. i have been asking my friend to carry on the tradition but he say im mad. he say, look @ me, i perspire so much, u want your char kway teow to have additional ingredients?

nice food stall once change chef. it is never the same. so i just keep looking for nice one. im currently looking for pig organ soup with pig blood inside. miss those man......
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thanks for the tip off, Darkie!

And yeah to Sirex, it takes good skill and fire control to imbue food with wok's breath. In fact, Fried Kway Teow slatthered with sweet sauce can be made by any amateur, only a well experienced chef manages to bring out the magic in white kway teow.

Hehe, maybe I'll search for him on facebook!
                      Hope he's still there! Have fun in your hunt!

Originally posted by triton View Post
                      OT.

my favourite char kway teow used to be those road side stall outside apollo centre where now it is a a four lane road.

i remember the char kway teow moved to hill street food centre next to central fire station.

then after that moved to bedok hawker centre opposite TJC. think the block number is 8 or 12. cant recall. the last time i went there, there are 2 woks. one by him when he feels like frying. another is by a female.

the female fry liao not as good.

another one is my army friend's father's stall @ old airport road opposite lau fu zi. the name still remain but the cooks fry liao not shiok. i have been asking my friend to carry on the tradition but he say im mad. he say, look @ me, i perspire so much, u want your char kway teow to have additional ingredients?

nice food stall once change chef. it is never the same. so i just keep looking for nice one. im currently looking for pig organ soup with pig blood inside. miss those man......
                      Yeah as usual 1 man...once change chef that's it

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                        Hope he's still there! Have fun in your hunt!

Yeah as usual 1 man...once change chef that's it
                        Ya, agree. Once they change the chef, the standard is gone, like a particular wanton mee at old airport hawker.
                        Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                          ... im currently looking for pig organ soup with pig blood inside. miss those man......
                          once you have seen what goes with the pig blood, i doubt you will want to eat it anymore.

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                          ...Yeah as usual 1 man...once change chef that's it
                          Thats the same everywhere, but also, i found, when some restaurants go on cost cutting exercise, the food standard also drop even if its the same chef.
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Chay kway teow in Jalan batu ??

I just saw a HK book by "Chai Lam" who is a Singaporean but resident in HK, wrote about Jalan Batu's CKT n he say it is the best, any one can tell me more about this too ??

Thanks..from Kos.

Comment

Bro Citizen Seiko,
                              Now I'm curious, what goes with the pig blood?!

Oh, you can PM me if you're concerned about spilling the blood, I mean, beans on the thread just in case Bro Triton doesn't want to know, hehe.

[QUOTE=seiko.citizen;323652]once you have seen what goes with the pig blood, i doubt you will want to eat it anymore.
                              Sweet 16:
                              PP Aquanaut
                              VC Overseas
                              AP ROO Black Themes
                              A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                              Breguet Type XXI
                              Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                              JLC Navy Seals
                              GO Senator 60s
                              GP Laureato
                              Rolex DSSD