Explorer 5500 Precision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer 5500 Precision

Does anyone know the value of this watch? Is it rare and highly sought-after?
    Attached Files
    Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 M
    Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 M
    Rolex GMT-Master I 16700 U
    Rolex Explorer II 16570 Z
    Rolex Air-King 114200 M
    Omega SeaMaster
    Tag Heuer 6000 series, 90's Swatch watches, Seikos and Russian watches

You can read more about this watch at

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rkeulen/watch/explorer.html

The value of this watch is not very high, should be around S$6k

There was one sold at Antiquorum this year for US$4800 at the Revolution: The Evolution of the Rolex Sport Watch Auction on 17-04-2008

Comment

That's too high already.

i've seen a 1016 with papers for $7900... which is more collectible.

the heritage of the 5500 has always been a little more dubious in comparison to the actual explorer line... since it seems to have closer ties to the AirKing.

Comment

It's a controversial model

Originally posted by williamsgl View Post
        Does anyone know the value of this watch? Is it rare and highly sought-after?
        If you call up Rolex Singapore and ask them, they will say it does not exist !

Anyway, I hear that there are many fakes around, be careful. I would say if you like that you should buy the 1016, which is quite soft now.

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
          If you call up Rolex Singapore and ask them, they will say it does not exist !

Anyway, I hear that there are many fakes around, be careful. I would say if you like that you should buy the 1016, which is quite soft now.
          I found it in a shop while sending my maid back to the agency I was looking at it when my wife recalled me back to the agency...The shop has lots of Rolexes, sport models not alot though...
          Last edited by williamsgl; 03-09-08, 11:09 PM.
          Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 M
          Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 M
          Rolex GMT-Master I 16700 U
          Rolex Explorer II 16570 Z
          Rolex Air-King 114200 M
          Omega SeaMaster
          Tag Heuer 6000 series, 90's Swatch watches, Seikos and Russian watches

Comment

According to my book, "Vintage Rolex sports models 1st edition", pg78, Model 5500 does exist. It reads, "Late 1950s: Movement 1530: During this period Rolex began to fit an Explorer-type dial to the Air-King, model 5500. The Air-King model had a smaller case than the Explorer and was fitted with a 19mm width bracelet rather than the 20mm bracelet used on the other Explorer models. The dial was marked either Precision or Super Precision and the early versions were in gloss black."

Comment

I have Skeet and Urul as well but

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
              According to my book, "Vintage Rolex sports models 1st edition", pg78, Model 5500 does exist. It reads, "Late 1950s: Movement 1530: During this period Rolex began to fit an Explorer-type dial to the Air-King, model 5500. The Air-King model had a smaller case than the Explorer and was fitted with a 19mm width bracelet rather than the 20mm bracelet used on the other Explorer models. The dial was marked either Precision or Super Precision and the early versions were in gloss black."
              RSC insists it does not exist.

Comment

Why is that so? You have a similar incident to share?

RSC insists it does not exist.

Comment

No, way back in 2002, was deciding between a 5500 and 1016

Why is that so? You have a similar incident to share?
                  fairly new to Vintage then, so I called RSC to check on those models. then the counter staff told me what they thought about the 5500. Of course they may be misinformed, but I too was wondering why they said that..... just sharing what they told me, I can't say for sure that they are right.

Comment

I think the reason why the counter staff told you that 5500 doesn't exist is becasue they are lazy to answer question on phone... I see those aunties always refer to a folder which contains info of all models about parts and prices... so I guess on the phone when she filp thru the 'bible' and couldn't find anything about 5500, she simply told you that it doesn't exist. I think if you have brought the watch to them personally, she would have checked it more carefully.

fairly new to Vintage then, so I called RSC to check on those models. then the counter staff told me what they thought about the 5500. Of course they may be misinformed, but I too was wondering why they said that..... just sharing what they told me, I can't say for sure that they are right.

Comment

That's entirely possible

I think the reason why the counter staff told you that 5500 doesn't exist is becasue they are lazy to answer question on phone... I see those aunties always refer to a folder which contains info of all models about parts and prices... so I guess on the phone when she filp thru the 'bible' and couldn't find anything about 5500, she simply told you that it doesn't exist. I think if you have brought the watch to them personally, she would have checked it more carefully.
                      I understand the new technicians themselves are not totally au fait with the Vintage pieces...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X