Seiko... again??? (SBDC001)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seiko... again??? (SBDC001)

been thinking over the past few weeks if i should buy a sumo (sbdc001) or mm300 (sbdx001)...

decided on a seiko sumo for some reasons i'll elaborate later.

big time @ sims: $820
    big time @ taka: $970

got a black one today.

i replaced the buckle with a left over clasp from my old MM300 (with a ratcheting adjuster).

it's huge. it has a diameter similar to that of a DSSD, but wears slimmer due to a tapering case design and curved lugs.

it's quite comfortable to wear, and hugs my small wrists quite well. i would prefer a 22mm lug width, but this is a known character (flaw?) of this watch, and to me, it's a throwback to the 6105 - big watch diameter, small lug-width.

the lume is seiko-tastic. everything looks well made and applied for its price point.

i'm unsure if the price hikes are justified - at its initially released price (US$350-400?), it's quite a good deal. US$550-$600? i'm unsure...

i'm also unsure if i like it for 2 reasons:

1. it's thick. it's big. does it need to be so thick and huge to be 200m WR?

300m? MAYBE...
    500m? A-O-K!
    but... 200m seems quite paltry for this case size.

2. it's not accurate. at all. whatsoever.

i'll have to pay to get it adjusted, and even then, i doubt i'll get the type of accuracy i know seiko is capable of (eg, GSs).

detractors will point out that this is NOT a GS-movement, or GS-grade movement (eg, 8Lxx), but i would think a basic ETA/Selita movement is more accurate out of the box.

the 6R15/6R15B movement is NOT seiko's basic movement, although it belongs to the lower-end range.

the slow beat movement is reminiscent of vintage rolex divers. this means i probably don't need to service it for a long time...??? : ) if i keep this watch, i certainly don't intend to service it...

why a sumo over an MM300? i've owned the MM300 once, and after the puppy love phase was over, i was disappointed by it. for the same two reasons i've listed above:

size (of movement and watch case) and accuracy.

its case is quite thick. accuracy? initially good, but i hit the edge of a hospital sink once and it went berserk; i've since come to appreciate the reliability and dependability of the micro-stella balance.

the MM300 is a lovely and understated watch, and very very tool-like. but i don't like the feeling of a heavy dish on my wrist unless it's gold! the price i got it brand new for US$1,100 many years ago, and i felt it was worth every dollar.

however at current prices, i don't think so.

my opinion is that: seiko needs to start making slimmer AUTO movements, and thinner cases for those movements. they also need to change the pin and collar design - it's too easy for the collar to disappear while adjusting the bracelet...

although i'm not a fan of big watches, i'll try to wear this seiko for a few more days before deciding if i want to keep it...

but for now: i have a modern seiko again that i can abuse and mis-use.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
Working...
X