help needed for speedmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed for speedmaster

Since i offloaded my Tag Heuer Carrera this year and i kinda of missing the fun of Chronograph.

Now, i intend to acquire a speedmaster because i think this watch is pretty cool and with rich heritage.

But i am confused with their models ie;, moon watch, manual wind, auto, LE and etc... any sifus here can elighten me on this or direct me to any website where that’s a good review on speedmaster ...

Thanks in advance
    Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
    Future - Geneva hallmark
    Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Originally posted by dennistwc View Post
    Since i offloaded my Tag Heuer Carrera this year and i kinda of missing the fun of Chronograph.

Now, i intend to acquire a speedmaster because i think this watch is pretty cool and with rich heritage.

But i am confused with their models ie;, moon watch, manual wind, auto, LE and etc... any sifus here can elighten me on this or direct me to any website where that’s a good review on speedmaster ...

Thanks in advance
    Hi Dennis,
    I'm fairly new at this, but I think a good way to start would to be very clear about what you want once you have read up further, like the sites Oceanklassik listed.

If I may try to assist, "rich heritage" was one of the reasons for your interest in speedmasters, by this im guessing that you are referring to the Omega Speedmaster Professional series that was "flight qualified"by Nasa for space missions. If this is the heritage you wish partake in, then you will definitely be looked at a manual winding chrono (i.e.,caliber 1861 or 861), theres also another variant 1863 (Ref 3573.50) with a see through case. (Shall call this the Moon Heritage)

Another "heritage" that a speedmaster kind of posseses is due to its association with Michael Schumacher, though of course this "heritage" is much much more recent and in a way due to him being an ambassador (i.e., being paid lots of money). Most of the speedmasters associated here are automatic chronos with a date or day/date function (e.g., the current Speedmaster Legend series or the Omega Triple Date 3520.53, aka 8 hands). (Shall call this the Racing Heritage)

Both "heritages" have produced limited editions, for the Moon Heritage you have LEs such has the Snoopy, the half gold, the Apollo Missions and most recently the LE made of Meteorite. Usually these LEs are characterised by Omega tweaking the sub-dials, e,g. the left most sub-dial of the Snoopy LE has the cartoon character snoopy dancing with the words eyes on the stars.

For the Racing Heritage these are sometimes characterised by checkered dials, to signify the checkered flag used in racing, or the word "Racing" will appear on the dial or, the dial may have "red" elements to it to represent "Ferrari" which Schumacer drove for 11 years.

This is really all the info I can think of, off the top of my head, if you are interested can drop me a pm anytime or continue searching the internet, theres really a whole trove of information.
    My Tumblr
    -------------------
    http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

These articles by the late Chuck Maddox are the must-reads if you wanna know more about the different variants of speedmaster from the past...

http://www.chronomaddox.com/#Moonwatch
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

bro oceanklassik, thanks for the link..digesting now

bro kqxrlovesSpeedmasters , thanks for the info...however any idea how much a bnib speedy 1863 selling now? and preown price?

Bro pegasi, thanks for the link i believe this will help me alot
        Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
        Future - Geneva hallmark
        Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

Originally posted by dennistwc View Post
          bro oceanklassik, thanks for the link..digesting now

bro kqxrlovesSpeedmasters , thanks for the info...however any idea how much a bnib speedy 1863 selling now? and preown price?

Bro pegasi, thanks for the link i believe this will help me alot
          Hello Dennis,
          You are referring to the 3573.50 with 1863 movement right?

If I'm not mistaken, it retails at $6600 (not sure if price increased) with a range of %discounts based on individuals' relations with their ADs etc etc. But this year some control measures has been in place, i.e., discount has been reduced to 8%.

Regarding preowned, depending on the condition, completeness of set and warranty etc, its hard to say but I think a ballpark figure is that you can expect to pay at least around 3.5k and upwards (I think..). Any more experienced bro please correct me!
          My Tumblr
          -------------------
          http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

any bro own a speedmaster more than 5 yrs..any issue with 'condensation'..I hear speedy are water sensitive and in sea where the weather is humid even more so than US

Comment

Originally posted by aeroheads View Post
              any bro own a speedmaster more than 5 yrs..any issue with 'condensation'..I hear speedy are water sensitive and in sea where the weather is humid even more so than US
              Condensation as in water trapped inside the watch? The speedy is not one of the most waterproof watch, but still should not have the problem you mention unless the case is not probably closed or immersed in water...
              Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X