Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Shows + Newspapers Reviews + Food Bloggers + Crowd = Price Increase + Attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Shows + Newspapers Reviews + Food Bloggers + Crowd = Price Increase + Attitude

Not to mention standards in their specialty dish drop as well(maybe not drastic, but you know its used to be better). Of course it does not apply to all the famed stalls. Only some.

Seems that this is especially true for hawkers' stalls with all the testimonies and certs displayed prominently.

Just came back from AMK Central Food Market and I was surprised to see the long queue at the satay beehoon. When I saw the portion, nearly faintz... Before the renovation, their business was just okay. But somehow the crowd came in after the renovation and slowly elevated its status. Sames goes to my favorite char kway teow there. Business super good, but its not as tasty as before.

Sometimes, I don't even want to patronize the stalls(gave up trying after eating a few times) e.g. Chai Chee Noodles, Ah Hock Fried Oysters(Whampao Market) and Pek Kio Prawn Noodles(Soup & Dry).

If you have any experience in any of the "famous" stalls or restaurants or any eating places that standards have deterioriated, feel free to share your experience here

Please note this is just my own personal experience. No need to flame and rebuke

Hey Bro,
    You're right for the most part. I've been disappointed numerous times by some of these so-called famous and award winning stalls. Of course, some do serve good food but most don't live up to expectations.
    I won't name exact names but just last week, I was at an 'Long' eatery in Upper Thomson Road that housed many stalls, where the chicken rice and fried kway teow was 'famed' and the choice of CEOs etc...the chicken rice was rather bland and white chicken drumstick was over-cooked and dry!
    Fried Kway Teow there was claimed to be one of the best by a radio DJ as well...and...when I tried it, the kway teow was goey, and worse, the amount of ingredients was dismal. Miserable strips of fish-cake, very thinly sliced (julienned) and no chinese sausages at all! The standard is at best, average.
    If one is in the Upper Thomson road area, I'd say a much better (a relatively famous) Fried Kway Teow can be found at Sembawang Hills Food Centre. Fiery wok's breath, not too 'wet' or dry and generous portion of ingredients and great service too!
    Another great disappointment was Bah Kut Teh at a 'famous' Balestier restuarant and 'Found' it to be the soup to be bland, and worse, the pork ribs were sinewy and chewy, almost like jerky! Bleah!
    I've never exactly trusted these TV shows that raid hawker centres, have hyper hosts acting cute and pretending that every morsel of food they bite tastes like blessed gifts from culinary heaven, and now having read Bro Jazzguy's sentiments, I mourn the death of many a good local food stalls. There are still good ones but cooking standards, amount of ingredients etc have generally fallen.
    Consider how ingredients have generally gone missing in a bowl of Laksa in the past decade. Shredded chicken, prawns, half the obligatory egg, fishballs...all disappeared. Only the fishcake slices, cockles and beancurd left, and the Laksa gravy's more becoming soup. Should remain the dish Lacksa!
    Sweet 16:
    PP Aquanaut
    VC Overseas
    AP ROO Black Themes
    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
    Breguet Type XXI
    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
    JLC Navy Seals
    GO Senator 60s
    GP Laureato
    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
    Rolex DSSD
    IWC Big Pilot
    Pam 112
    Omega Ploprof
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Glycine F104

Comment

Don't ever be shepherded by these self professed "Celebrity Food Connoisseurs" by telling you how good the food is from this and that makan stall, because most of them save a few know nuts about food themselves......... Best thing to do is trust your own tastebuds.

Comment

There are 3 outlets of the CKT, one in Sembawang Hills(daughter of the actual owner and her hubby), one in Shunfu Food Market and the other in your mentioned "Long House". I am not sure why they are so famous but from the beginning of time, I think they have been over-rated. But I have to admit their portion is large. Bro toffeesthings, try the AMK Central couple's CKT. Its a hit and miss but not too bad. More towards the soft wet side(like the Marine Parade's Apollo CKT) and they do provide a spoon.

Talking about Laksa, you realized half the hard boiled egg has been written off in most places? You can also taste that the coconut milk used is from the tetrapak type. Gone were the days of freshly squeezed coconut milk. I just watched a Hong Kong variety show where the host bought the large version of the "328 Laksa" in Katong and its funny to look at her expression when she mentioned its $5.50 for that bowl of laksa. Guess its kind of expensive to her as well

Its true that most of the self professed "Celebrity Food Connoisseurs" know nuts about the good food. In fact, the most recommended crab shack of AMK, Melben Crab has baffled me as well with the long queue. Even Choi Lam from Hong Kong recommended that as well. Seems that for most people, its a "safe haven" for good crabs.

Comment

That's right Bros Surestik & Jazzguy!
          The one run by the young couple in Sembawang Hills. Standard is not too shabby and certainly better than the one at Long House. Marine Parade's CKT is also good and unique.
          Not only are these so called celebrity food connoisseurs not adapt, even some celebrity chefs are suspect too. I've seen on cooking shows shrimp and beef cooked continuously till shrivelled!
          These days, I just trust my eyes and if the food served to other customers looks adequately appetising, I'll take my chances and order, hehe.
          Sweet 16:
          PP Aquanaut
          VC Overseas
          AP ROO Black Themes
          A.Lange & Sohne 1815
          Breguet Type XXI
          Blancpain 50 Fathoms
          JLC Navy Seals
          GO Senator 60s
          GP Laureato
          Rolex DSSD
          IWC Big Pilot
          Pam 112
          Omega Ploprof
          Breitling Super Avenger
          Glycine F104

Comment

Bro toffeesthings, I thot u live at west side, why come to upper thosom/sembawang hill...my territories leh

Sembawang hill food centre is famus for the fish soup at the corner lah, but I personally like the pasta next to it and the duck rice at the other side. There is also a kopi stall selling famous bun toast, as well as a branch of the AMK central satay beehoon mentioned by bro jazzguy.
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              Bro toffeesthings, I thot u live at west side, why come to upper thosom/sembawang hill...my territories leh

Sembawang hill food centre is famus for the fish soup at the corner lah, but I personally like the pasta next to it and the duck rice at the other side. There is also a kopi stall selling famous bun toast, as well as a branch of the AMK central satay beehoon mentioned by bro jazzguy.
              Oh, sometimes my job takes me to your area lah. Yeah, the fish soup looks good too but the weather's usually too hot for that. The Satay Beehoon I've tried before, not too bad, but too bad it doesn't come served with pork's liver. As for good pasta and pizza's, the Castel chain is quite good I reckon. There's one near my area in Jurong, another in AMK. Yummy!
              Sweet 16:
              PP Aquanaut
              VC Overseas
              AP ROO Black Themes
              A.Lange & Sohne 1815
              Breguet Type XXI
              Blancpain 50 Fathoms
              JLC Navy Seals
              GO Senator 60s
              GP Laureato
              Rolex DSSD
              IWC Big Pilot
              Pam 112
              Omega Ploprof
              Breitling Super Avenger
              Glycine F104

Comment

Yes, Q is not only long after media coverage, if you will to observe, they will also slow down their preparation in order to maintain the long Q. Now a days I most likely avoid for those with many 'adv' at the stall front. If I do patronize, I'll first look at those already having the food, from the serving & texture, for a quick start can tell whether it's over rated & expensive.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X