Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time omega watch buyer. need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time omega watch buyer. need advice.

hi all, i'm new here. I'm looking for a omega seamaster watch for myself.
    as i'm reaching 21 years old i wan to buy it as an symbol of adulthood.
    but i'm enlisting to army soon. Therefore i'm hesitating in a dilemma of choosing between quartz and automatic watch since i usually wear it during weekends.
    my budget is around 2 to 3k. Any advice on where i can buy it from.
    I'm particularly interested in this

any advic?

Firstly, welcome on board

That model you've showed seems to be the Aqua Terra? Whether it is quartz or automatic you want should not be the result of your national service. Rather, it should be what you prefer more. I will choose an automatic one over the quartz anytime. And on your budget, it will be difficult to get one even if it's a pre-owned piece.

I may be out of touch. Let the other experts come in to share.

And, happy serving the country
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

hi. what are the average price of an omega Aqua Terra?

Comment

If you want something to keep, always go for automatic! That is my view.
        My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
        Rolex Submariner 16610
        Rolex Submariner 116610
        Rolex Date 1550
        IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
        IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
        Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
        Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
        Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
        Seiko Sumo SBDC001
        Seiko Sumo SBDC003
        Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
        Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

Originally posted by addthewin View Post

but i'm enlisting to army soon. Therefore i'm hesitating in a dilemma of choosing between quartz and automatic watch since i usually wear it during weekends.

any advic?
          my diplomatic advice:

congrats on reaching adulthood.

the AT is a nice watch and is meant to rival the rolex datejust. you will be able to get it for 2-3k no problem. with your budget you can also consider buying a SM300/speedmaster.

quartz is nice if you are particular about accuracy and convenient to have because you are only wearing it on the weekends.

my personal advice:

you're only 21. buy a cheap casio watch for your NS life. a quartz omega is worthless when you sell it in future.

there are many other ways to mark your 21st birthday. i marked my 18th birthday with a tag heuer quartz professional. si beh ai wan.

save the 2-3k for now. if you go to/complete OCS, continue to save money from your NS pay.

when you finish NS, buy a rolex and wear it until you die. any other watch you buy now, you WILL regret when you are older.

if you don't manage to become an officer, a pre-owned seamaster (ETA-based) will still be within your budget when you finish NS and it's a really good watch for the money.

but in the end, you'll probably end up buying a rolex when you're older. you may/may not have to sell your omega to get that rolex.

this rolex cycle will apply whether you're a 21 year old watch newbie or a 71 year old billionaire watch collector.

ORD lor!

yours sincerely,

CPT Taxico
          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

hi taxico! thanks for your advice. But i really love an omega watch very much. I'm at the age which i'm fascinated with watch. Rolex is as fascinating but it's a watch i would buy when i reach 35. I'm doing a job earning great now. Therefore wanting to buy 1 since it's GSS is near and near my birthday. my first watch was casio which i bought myself when i was 17. My 2nd watch wass A Fossil it was a gift when i was 20. I want something i can wear until 35. I believed many watch can't do so.

Comment

Good day addthewin, my advice would be similar to that of Taxico's..save the money and get a Rolex when you ORD...

But if you are truly madly deeply in love Omega and their watches atm, I would use your 2-3k to purchase a preowned Omega Speedmaster Professional aka the Moonwatch (cal 1861 or 861) rather than any Seamaster. The Moonwatch is a very budget friendly watch with true horological significance, forget any seamaster or Schumacher inspired speedy...imho.. You can probably pick up a preowned moonwatch by closely checking the watch forums and their trading corners, e.g. sg-roc.
              My Tumblr
              -------------------
              http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

It is a good choice addthewin, for a Omega as your first luxury watch.

I am just suprised at your choice as I would expect a young man like you would prefer a more sporty design such as the Seamaster or Speedmaster. If you have decided on a dressier watch, so be it.

You may also want to take a look at the Omega Railmaster which present equally well as a dress watch and as a casual watch for the weekend. It comes in 42mm and 47mm sizes and you may be able to get a pre-owned one within or stretching your budget. The problem you likely to encounter is that you don't usually see a railmaster put on sale.

Go to timezone.com and serach for Railmaster to get a indication of prices and design.

Many of the advises given by various bros on Omega are very true. Go for automatic, don't bother paying for special editions, moonwatch Cal x861 horological significance etc. I would also advise that you get a pre-owned Omega instead of brand new. Re-sale price of Omega really sucks.

Comment

Wow...nice to see young lad into watches...hahaha....

Get auto version of the omega AT..it is such a beauty....for me quartz not my cup of tea....personal preference...

Stand out in the crowd with the omega!!!

U can always buy the rolex when u r working after ur stint in the NS...

Lastly...Enjoy your stint in the army!!!

Cheers,
                  LCP Feilong108

The last of the Hokkien Peng!
                  Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Railmaster is a good choice! Jeremy Clarkson wears one

Originally posted by alex168lim View Post
                    It is a good choice addthewin, for a Omega as your first luxury watch.

I am just suprised at your choice as I would expect a young man like you would prefer a more sporty design such as the Seamaster or Speedmaster. If you have decided on a dressier watch, so be it.

You may also want to take a look at the Omega Railmaster which present equally well as a dress watch and as a casual watch for the weekend. It comes in 42mm and 47mm sizes and you may be able to get a pre-owned one within or stretching your budget. The problem you likely to encounter is that you don't usually see a railmaster put on sale.

Go to timezone.com and serach for Railmaster to get a indication of prices and design.

Many of the advises given by various bros on Omega are very true. Go for automatic, don't bother paying for special editions, moonwatch Cal x861 horological significance etc. I would also advise that you get a pre-owned Omega instead of brand new. Re-sale price of Omega really sucks.
                    My Tumblr
                    -------------------
                    http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

Hahas.. Thanks for all the advice it sort of made sense. Heheh!
                      Although i still like the watch very much. Given my tiny hudget i doubt i can buy an automatic
                      Looks like i have to dip myself in the crap of ns before i can fully utillise an automatic.
                      It does make sense to buy 1 after ns since the watch will stop..
                      Shall invest my money with gold first and buy one when the time is right.
                      Thanks for the many helpful advice. Greatly appreciate it.

Comment

...I'm at the age which i'm fascinated with watch. Rolex is as fascinating but it's a watch i would buy when i reach 35... I want something i can wear until 35. I believed many watch can't do so.
                        you can buy a datejust with your budget. classic watch except it is not as huge as you might like, but it wears perfectly fine on most wrists (even big ang moh wrists). the perception of size is merely in your head.

it is a versatile watch and is something you can wear until you are 70 years old if serviced regularly. the depreciation is minimal.

having said that, i have seen a two tone 36mm auto AT (a colleague wears it) and it does looks quite nice. i think the bigger ATs aren't as nice.

but if i had to go omega... i would lean towards a pre-owned speedmaster or, only if it is available at the right price, a pre-owned full-size seamaster300 (auto).
                        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I'm particularly interested in this

any advic?
                          was looking at the speedmaster too earlier on....until i laid my eyes on IWC!!

Instead of getting a speedmaster, i got a IWC pilot! Much more worthwhile!

Comment

" .. i got a IWC pilot! Much more worthwhile! "

In which sense, may we understand?
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

any sense except for $$$$$
                              i'm sensing the community are for successful working adults who has an extraordinary hobby for watch.. ppl seems to forget i'm reaching 21 and i've just graduated..

*sigh... i dun have money for IWC, ROLEX T_T *

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X