Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Kopi-Talk Forum serving a good purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Kopi-Talk Forum serving a good purpose?

The kopi-talk forum is no doubt one of the main draws of SG-ROC. It is, according to my understanding, meant for causal discussions and exchange of opinions of all things not related (or not directly related) to watches. Sounds great. Relax and have fun, that’s what all people like to do.

Singaporeans are a fun-loving lot. Hence we see many fun threads, besides the more serious threads discussing about current affair and sharing of thoughts and experiences. Somehow, whichever type of threads, it could go so off-topic that one can basically create threads of different topics and still get similar rubbish responses. Just for fun, so some said. Rubbish is fine, as it is subjective, and some people are only capable of producing rubbish. Fun is good, but not good when respect and sensitivity are compromised. It is sad to see that threads that are created to undermine other members are allowed to exist in the forum.

Is this what this watch community wants?

Is this what SG-ROC needs?

I applaud the intention to allow free speech, but I think that is something else.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Some people refer to kopi-talk as "talk cock".

The phrase "talk cock", just like the word "joker", has more than one meaning, at least in the context of Singlish.

Talk cock can mean "chit chat, talk anything", e.g. "Long time no see, let's talk cock over lunch". It can also mean "talk undesirable rubbish", e.g. "Just ignore him lah, he talks cock only".

Joker can mean a person who tell jokes, really funny jokes. It can also refer to a person who talks or behaves like a nuisance, e.g. "better avoid this joker, man..."

Some people mix up the two meanings of talk cock, and talk undesirable rubbish at the wrong place or wrong time, some try to be funny and turn out to be a nuisance.

Comment

I believe all sub forum are good and I like them all! They manage to serve its intended purpose very well in providing good and useful info/discussion for newbie and old alike. I believe no one will denied this.
      But as for kopi-talk, as its name might be loosely interpreted by individual. May course confusion as different members create new discussion topic or engage in discussion without following certain rules of conduct which at the end might or might not fulfill its intention. Worst case, it might scare people away from the forum altogether.

As for freedom of speech, it must still be govern by certain rules of engagement. If not it is just like a run away train, sooner or later it will hit something or derail and many innocent people in its pave will become its victim.

If you don't plan, you plan to fail.

Comment

No, kopi talk forum serves no good purpose!
        only sgroc charity forum serves good/noble purpose

as long as there's no personal insult, no use of vulgarity words and no racial/social/status/gender discriminating, forummers like myself can freely engage on interesting topics in kopi talk and its purpose is served (imo). There's no way to dictate how one should write or respond to threads, or who can reply to threads. If not, it will be bad work for the moderators.

Like what acwong75 wrote in another thread, he commented "one has to learn to be more open to feedback, criticisim, and nonsense to join forums so that it will keep this forum vibrant." and i agree with this.
        Last edited by alantannottam; 18-07-13, 04:25 PM.
        在幻变的生命里, 岁月, 原来是最大的小偷...

Comment

i would like to hear what sg-roc community wants. do note that the decision on how to run this forum still remains in the hands of the forum owners.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
          Is this what this watch community wants?

Is this what SG-ROC needs?

I applaud the intention to allow free speech, but I think that is something else.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Wow mod arrow owner siah.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alantannottam View Post
              as long as there's no personal insult, no use of vulgarity words and no racial/social/status/gender discriminating, forummers like myself can freely engage on interesting topics in kopi talk and its purpose is served (imo). There's no way to dictate how one should write or respond to threads, or who can reply to threads. If not, it will be bad work for the moderators.
              Alan, I recognize those undesirable behaviours that you mention. While some are easily identified, some could be grey or subjective. For example, personal insult, if someone posts something that results in another member feeling insulted, but the poster insists it's meant for fun only, then how? Do you expect the mods to proactively moderate such posts and apply their own judgement to ensure that those guidelines are respected?

Just want to better understand your thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki
                Pegasi how are you, why everything also not right, no one use vulgarity words to you, no one say to you bad, why easy to get upset, this not right, that not right. why can't you be like last time happy go lucky, enjoy reply disturb here disturb there. I like the old pegasi please come back, it was so fun see you joke aroud.
                Things change, so do people.

I miss the old hiroki too...

Comment

This thread isn't about me. Neither is this a fun thread.

So let's get

Comment

i think its unique, and cozy but than again i think its also a section that the mod team has to pay a little more attention to it.

This got to be one and only watch forum in the world has kopi talk corner, making it Uniquely a watch forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki
                      Yes you right. Please let's have meet up, do you remember the new turn gathering, you help me to make it happened, and I said to you, next gathering will be national day, I need your help now. Please let's put aside all negative, let's do this one more time. All my friend is your friend, they waiting for you to join. You know all this ppl please for ones agree with me.

Comment

Frankly, u cannot do real or proper discussion here. If u get too involve and start stating facts and figures. The thread will become too hot and will be close. Just like the army photo case. I met a guy in DSO and an army regular studying at UniSIM and both told me cannot post pics related to work online unless sanction by Mindef. Just like reservist wearing uniform during SAF is ok as is to promote SAF day...
                        sigpic

Comment

Kopi talk should follow this:
                          Freedom of speech, assembly and association
                          14.—(1) Subject to clauses (2) and (3) —
                          (a)
                          every citizen of Singapore has the right to freedom of speech and expression;

Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

I always have heated discussion with my manager when we feel passionate about certain things but we always respect the rules of engagement. Whoever can prove and present his point without any doubt will win and the other party will respect it without question and bad feeling. We are all adults and certain maturity in mind and feeling have to be exercised as this is a interests group not office or marketplace. We are not here to do a upmanship.
                            So if these understanding can be maintain, I believed the mod will not have any reasons to shut it down. Unless the discussion go into certain sensitive issues, which the mod has every right to stop without providing reasons.

Originally posted by Iceheller View Post
                            Frankly, u cannot do real or proper discussion here. If u get too involve and start stating facts and figures. The thread will become too hot and will be close. Just like the army photo case. I met a guy in DSO and an army regular studying at UniSIM and both told me cannot post pics related to work online unless sanction by Mindef. Just like reservist wearing uniform during SAF is ok as is to promote SAF day...

Comment

As long as its not personal insult, defamation, twisted facts etc. Its hard to set rigid rules.

Kopi talk like kopi shop with kakis. Can go from serious to f sky f land f anything under the sun to relieve stress.

Where there is too many shooting down of the thread. Mod can close the thread.

Or like FB style, undesired posts be censored like some big organisation.

Quarrels are like sop drama. As Tbs channels says, characters welcome.
                              Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X