What Would You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Do?

My fascination with mechanical timepieces began, as is the case with so many people, with my father. He was a bit of a collector, and a few years ago when I went with him to pick out a timepiece, he told me I could get something for myself.

Since I knew absolutely nothing and did no research whatsoever, I picked whatever in the store that caught my eye. It was a Breitling, but it wasn't their iconic Navitimer, Chronomat nor Avenger. It is a Skyracer Raven. I chose it only because I thought it was big.

I wear it often and it is something of a beater for me, but now that I have a better appreciation of watches, I'm always thinking of how I would have picked differently. As a result, I often find myself contemplating between selling and keeping it.

I think the only reason I'm keeping it is because it was a gift - although I often counter this by telling myself I was the one who chose it and so it doesn't quite count. Does this logic work? Lol.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I appreciate your thoughts.

This item should be " NOT FOR SALE " .

If you sell it away. Even though you buy back the same model, the feel is different. And, how will your dad feel.

The "value" is far beyond the price that you pay for it.

Never have that intention. You will regret.

///// ///// ///// ///// /////

Comment

Hi, am in a somewhat similar position as you. My dad had gotten me an Ingersoll automatic which got me interested in automatics. Subsequently, I got myself a Seiko FM. On my bday, my mother got me a Seiko 009 when we were at a shop. All beautiful watches in their own way. If you had followed my thread in Showcase, you know that I had saved up for an Omega SMP, what I consider to be my first 'luxury' watch.

I have since sold the Seiko FM but the Ingersoll and 009 I can't decide on selling..because they were gifts. I don't forsee myself wearing them much with the stunning SMP lying around. I can only think of a watch winder just to keep them 'operational'. But in a way, they hold sentimental value and I don't want to get cash out of it.

Dilemma also.

Comment

I would definitely hang on to the Ingersoll if it is the first watch from your dad. The Breitling I'm thinking of selling actually wasn't my first watch from him.

Comment

Originally posted by infinitesadness View Post
          I would definitely hang on to the Ingersoll if it is the first watch from your dad. The Breitling I'm thinking of selling actually wasn't my first watch from him.
          The Ingersoll is beautiful actually. Actually also no point selling..doesn't fetch v much in resale.

Comment

When I first started out in the workforce, I got a watch as a present from my mother, a Tag Heuer 2000. During those days, our family wasn't well off, I was struggling between jobs, to support our family. Owning a Tag Heuer in those days was like owning a Rolex to me. If you see my watch collection below, you will know which year the watch was from. I had once nearly sold the watch to someone, who actually came to my place to view it. Until today, I can only say that it was a blessing that the deal was off. The watch still sits in my drawer, however the battery is dead. I will have it fix up and pass on to my nephew one day, and only hope he treasures it like I do.

So same advice here, never part with something that hold strong sentimental value, in material of it's value, else you will regret it for life.
            My collections, past & present:-

Tag Heuer 2000, 1989 Aug
            Dunhill Automatic DC 3095, 1991 Dec, Sold
            Swatch Aqua Chrono, 1995 Nov, Spoiled
            Rolex Oyster Perpetual 68274, 1999 Jun, Sold
            Tag Heuer Carrera CV2113-0, 2003 Apr
            Swatch Quartz Precision SBK401A, 2003 Jun, Spoiled
            Tag Heuer Carrera WAC1111, 2004 Dec, Sold
            A.Lange & Sohne, Lange 1 101.030, 2006 Jan
            Casio G-Shock DW 6900AC, 2013 Jun
            Rolex Explorer 214270, 2013 Aug Sold
            Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN, 2014 Jul

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer8813 View Post
              When I first started out in the workforce, I got a watch as a present from my mother, a Tag Heuer 2000. During those days, our family wasn't well off, I was struggling between jobs, to support our family. Owning a Tag Heuer in those days was like owning a Rolex to me. If you see my watch collection below, you will know which year the watch was from. I had once nearly sold the watch to someone, who actually came to my place to view it. Until today, I can only say that it was a blessing that the deal was off. The watch still sits in my drawer, however the battery is dead. I will have it fix up and pass on to my nephew one day, and only hope he treasures it like I do.

So same advice here, never part with something that hold strong sentimental value, in material of it's value, else you will regret it for life.
              Do swap the battery soon, if the battery has been sitting inside the watch for too long it would corrode and destroy the whole thing.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Speaking of which, how long max should automatic watches be left alone such that it will not spoil? Wanna keep my other watches in good working condition but I don't think they warrant a watch winder as they are not luxury watches.

Take out and wear once a month or?

Comment

I would keep it. For me, I am very particular about sentimental value. That's why there are some watches that I'll never sell.

I almost sold a watch last time, something which I treasured very much. Thankfully the deal didn't went through, and it made me love my watch even more.
                  "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

Thanks for the advice, shall get it done soon.

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    Do swap the battery soon, if the battery has been sitting inside the watch for too long it would corrode and destroy the whole thing.
                    My collections, past & present:-

Tag Heuer 2000, 1989 Aug
                    Dunhill Automatic DC 3095, 1991 Dec, Sold
                    Swatch Aqua Chrono, 1995 Nov, Spoiled
                    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 68274, 1999 Jun, Sold
                    Tag Heuer Carrera CV2113-0, 2003 Apr
                    Swatch Quartz Precision SBK401A, 2003 Jun, Spoiled
                    Tag Heuer Carrera WAC1111, 2004 Dec, Sold
                    A.Lange & Sohne, Lange 1 101.030, 2006 Jan
                    Casio G-Shock DW 6900AC, 2013 Jun
                    Rolex Explorer 214270, 2013 Aug Sold
                    Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN, 2014 Jul

Comment

That is what makes life worth living - the love and care that our forebears have shown us before we were able to stand on our two feet and face the world.

I would certainly keep the watch, as I would cherish the memory of our wonderful parents, warts and all.

Comment

can refer to this thread.

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/114162...tch?highlight=
                        在幻变的生命里, 岁月, 原来是最大的小偷...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X