Too many local watch forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
    I share your opinion about international watch forums are much better for horology discussion, or even the more general watch topics. Why is that so when so many people here are "into watches"? Surely we can do better than discussing if you wear your watch on the left or right hand, or if you like to wear it loose or tight? Perhaps we could be proud about being the most well informed about prices and discounts and resale values and where to find the best deals...
    The number of members participating in sharing of information is much lesser in the local forums probably due to smaller population? Maybe, maybe not. But I feel that the atmosphere around here changed after the "n*m" saga, it was very irritating and after awhile it got so bad that I left for other forums. If there are interesting topics like this, I'll be happy to participate. But cannot contribute much since not too knowledgable.
    相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_Watches View Post
      The number of members participating in sharing of information is much lesser in the local forums probably due to smaller population? Maybe, maybe not. But I feel that the atmosphere around here changed after the "n*m" saga, it was very irritating and after awhile it got so bad that I left for other forums. If there are interesting topics like this, I'll be happy to participate. But cannot contribute much since not too knowledgable.
      Well, Patrick feels that,at the end of the day it boils down to the culture here. There are many knowledgeable people around, some prefer to stay low profile or maybe alittle shy to share and just prefer to look around.

Patrick has been observing the local watch forums for a few years now,the only section that seems to thrive is the garage sections. If you remove the sales section from the forums, Patrick is pretty sure the traffic will go southwards.

Comment

To say the garage sections stand out or thrive among all the sections is a fair observation, especially if we look at all local watch forums as a whole.

The fact that quite a number of local watch lovers who are also members of local watch forums are more active in the international forums mean that there are gaps here to fill. Or it could also mean that they are deterred away by something in the local forums. I can see both of these reasons in Ray_Watches' comments. Either case, it present an opportunity for the local forums to tap into.

Or perhaps it is a fundamental issue of simply not enough people here who are knowledgeable or interested enough to have more proper or in-depth discussion of watches or watch-related matters. "We join the forums to relax and have fun", so I have been told. Still, I am more inclined to think it is a chicken-and-egg problem, and that a forum itself can to a great extent influence the type of discussions it wants to have or focus on in the forum. A forum that is renowned for talking nonsense will attract members who love talking nonsense. A forum who actively share price info and lobang may attract people to come in to ask lazy questions about prices and discounts and stuff, for example.
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

is it really that there are not enough people or is it that the people who are knowledgeable are shy to share.

Or perhaps it is a fundamental issue of simply not enough people here who are knowledgeable or interested enough to have more proper or in-depth discussion of watches or watch-related matters.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
            is it really that there are not enough people or is it that the people who are knowledgeable are shy to share.
            Personally I think there are enough people who are knowledgeable (depends on what level you are talking about of course), but not enough people who are interested to share for one reason or another. Being shy is probably not one of the reasons. As I implied in my previous post, I think it is an chicken-and-egg issue, or culture you may say. When someone shares something more in-depth or something that calls for more serious (but meaningful) discussion and there are very few participation, that person will feel discouraged from posting similar things again. Trolling posts are also putting off people from taking part in forum discussions. It takes effort and time to post something meaningful to share, put only few seconds to post a rude/meaningless comment.

A senior member recently made an attempt to start some discussion about some lesser known independent brands and received almost zero participation (refer to this thread). I applaud his effort though I feel it is probably too niche. Some members grow with the forums, some never - it is a personal choice.

Comment

It takes effort and time to post something meaningful to share, put only few seconds to post a rude/meaningless comment.
              This I agree fully, and I find that sub forum for general discussions( watches/others) to be too many. If we can have a single sub forum for discussions, other one for watch tech references/ price and the garage sections remain as now. Maybe will be easier to check back the discussions. Somehow I still feel that eventually if let to evolve freely, it will become a garage forum for members to buy/sell and dealers to do business.
              相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Personally I think there are enough people who are knowledgeable (depends on what level you are talking about of course), but not enough people who are interested to share for one reason or another. Being shy is probably not one of the reasons. As I implied in my previous post, I think it is an chicken-and-egg issue, or culture you may say. When someone shares something more in-depth or something that calls for more serious (but meaningful) discussion and there are very few participation, that person will feel discouraged from posting similar things again. Trolling posts are also putting off people from taking part in forum discussions. It takes effort and time to post something meaningful to share, put only few seconds to post a rude/meaningless comment.

A senior member recently made an attempt to start some discussion about some lesser known independent brands and received almost zero participation (refer to this thread). I applaud his effort though I feel it is probably too niche. Some members grow with the forums, some never - it is a personal choice.
                many, many times i hit on reply, type out a lengthy piece, then decide not to post.

i'm not sure if my replies will make any sense to the aspiring rolex watch buyer or wearer.

take the thread you mentioned for example. if i type a long reply (i actually did), and then it doesn't go anywhere, what's the point? i'll come across as a much bigger schmuck than i already appear to be, as an ex-colleague pointed out in real life to me that some of my replies on sgroc come across as condescending.

further, it can be a bit sian ji pua when a post doesn't generate the type of discussion it should. and what does it mean when an independent watch thread goes no where? how should i promote horology discourse when the participants (in general) are not capable of understanding the subject matter at hand?

and then there are the exasperating posts - what should i buy, which is better, how much does, where to go, why should i authenticate, etc. i think a sub-forum should be created so mods can move those posts there or merge them into a master thread for each of these.

and finally, trawling through new threads is becoming tedious lately because new comers revive an old thread with very short and/or useless replies "i think so too" or "that happened to me too" (or the like), can make it quite bothersome.

make no mistake, i want to contribute to local watch collecting knowledge and also learn from other locals because it is a passionate hobby of mine, but perhaps this is not the best forum (pardon the pun) to do so. those are the reasons why i don't post my replies.
                “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

the process of tidying up the forum has never been an easy tasks, it is done regularly. as such, you may have noticed that some threads start date maybe like about 5 -6 years ago and contains more recent posts asking same or similar questions.

also i am not sure many even realized that i have even re-name some of the threads. i do hope that users utilize the search function effectively and efficiently. i have painstakingly create a thread here with step by step graphical guide. i do not know if members are aware of that a user manual is available. as you pointed out, there are numerous members asking almost similar questions. would this have happen if members use the search function to find out the answers they are looking for?

members reviving old thread could be a result of attempting to achieve their 10 posts count so that they can post their items for sale quickly.

i have said to members in gtg before, the forum is a rich source of information. the more you contribute, the more you will gain. i do hope that members like you will continue to post and not hold back. for things to change, it takes time. do not be dishearten. on behalf of the forum, i like to sincerely thank all the members who have contributed wealth of information for others to benefit.

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                  and then there are the exasperating posts - what should i buy, which is better, how much does, where to go, why should i authenticate, etc. i think a sub-forum should be created so mods can move those posts there or merge them into a master thread for each of these.

and finally, trawling through new threads is becoming tedious lately because new comers revive an old thread with very short and/or useless replies "i think so too" or "that happened to me too" (or the like), can make it quite bothersome.

make no mistake, i want to contribute to local watch collecting knowledge and also learn from other locals because it is a passionate hobby of mine, but perhaps this is not the best forum (pardon the pun) to do so. those are the reasons why i don't post my replies.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

many, many times i hit on reply, type out a lengthy piece, then decide not to post.

i'm not sure if my replies will make any sense to the aspiring rolex watch buyer or wearer.

take the thread you mentioned for example. if i type a long reply (i actually did), and then it doesn't go anywhere, what's the point? i'll come across as a much bigger schmuck than i already appear to be, as an ex-colleague pointed out in real life to me that some of my replies on sgroc come across as condescending.

further, it can be a bit sian ji pua when a post doesn't generate the type of discussion it should. and what does it mean when an independent watch thread goes no where? how should i promote horology discourse when the participants (in general) are not capable of understanding the subject matter at hand?

I am glad you press the "submit" button for this one, taxico.

What you wrote confirms that I am not alone here imagining things. I especially like the suggestion to merge/consolidate those "exasperating posts" though I personally would like to totally prevent some of those posts if I have my way.

Finally, on your point about being perceived as condescending - I guess most of us have some kind of perceived image due to what and how we communicate on the forums. Personally I value authenticity of a person as much as I value the authenticity of a watch. Sometimes being too diplomatic doesn't add much values (imaging someone who would only agree or shower praises) though it might make one a Mr. Nice Guy on the forums. I believe one can learn something even from the people you don't like. Make no mistake, I am not saying we should be confrontative all the time (that's what a troll does). I am saying we (as a community) would be better off with different but honest views about things and not take issues too personally. I myself have crossed sword with some members and even the forum owners here, but at the end of the day those with the right spirit continue to interact and share.

Comment

hahaaha...thanks for highlighting my thread. Yes, it's a bit disappointing that no one contributed to it but no worries because it may be revisited by members in future.

The purpose of my thread was to highlight different independent brands from members here. As a hobbyist, we start researching watch based on watch brands then into details of their history and etc. Some of the members here may be aware more of the mainstream brands but there're equally other brands that are on par/if not better. it's just my attempt to introduce independent brands and hopefully members can then research a bit more.

The look and feel of the local forums are similar because it's easier and cheaper to create using this format if i'm not mistaken. I've seen members here contributing to different local forums and yes they cover very similar topics which eventually become dull. how to make it interesting? not easy. it takes members here to think of and come up with interesting topics that can both be educational and easy to contribute.

let me give you an example. I've been in this forum for years and I've never seen a thread that says "what is the reason of having a vertical clutch and its pros and cons". this is because it's too technical and many members here buy watches because of design, affordability, history, brand recognition, peer pressure and etc. while most of us want a in-house movement vs ETA/Miyota/Selita whatever but I suspect not many truly understand how the individual parts work. unlike some overseas forums that I lurk, there seems to be more of such discussion which is informative.

I could be wrong..but I think the forum differentiation is its content and whether or not it wants to go for a more technical route?

cheers
                      I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                      A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                      Audemars Piguet ROO
                      Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                      De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                      Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                      Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                      Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                      IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                      Panerai 270
                      Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                      Rolex 116610LV
                      Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

I guess there are many people out there just like me, who reads and follows every new post on an interesting, informative thread.. and doesn't reply much on it... well maybe I had felt that i'm not knowledgeable enough to share on that particular topic, or simply am just learning by reading from those sharing on that topic.

occasionally out of boredom i.e. killing time in toilet with an ipad, that's when I go to the less interesting threads like those asking for opinions...
                        i'll usually skip those questioning threads that been asked and answered before, but it's heartening to know that there are always peeps out there helping newbies... it's sad to see answers like "go do a search" especially to newbies whom just joined and had barely got 5 posts
                        there are days when I want to get inspired, when i'll visit the showcases
                        visiting the garages before bedtime is quite my usual routine, hunting for a good buy if I should strike lottery the following day, that makes a good dream..!

if another local forum has the same above elements, then maybe blokes like me will be attracted to join...
                        if other forum is themed towards selling & buying, guess that's where all hunters and hunted go to...
                        if a new forum is all only informative facts & truths sharing, it's almost Wikipedia... i'm in only for reading

taxico & pegasi... don't stop "submitting"... I had been and still am, enjoying reading what you guys share...!

Comment

it is exactly what i have been waiting for - introduce and then let user go do a little more. the idea is to introduce and let the user embark on the journey to find out more. it is a more enriching experience because one will learn more and faster.

i wouldn't expect members to sit down and ponder about interesting topics to post so that other members can discuss. i take my hats off a moderator who painstakingly take time and effort to re-produce an entire news article by typing word for word. i would have just taken the article, go to the photocopier machine and scan it. actions likes me make me appreciate such member even more because the member shows love for the forum and sense of belonging and wanting to share the information with members here.

there are various ways of contributing such as providing step by step guide on how to make a watch pillow. there is also another member who share on how to improvise on a car wiper as well. thank you all for your contribution, keep it up.

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                          The purpose of my thread was to highlight different independent brands from members here. As a hobbyist, we start researching watch based on watch brands then into details of their history and etc. Some of the members here may be aware more of the mainstream brands but there're equally other brands that are on par/if not better. it's just my attempt to introduce independent brands and hopefully members can then research a bit more.

The look and feel of the local forums are similar because it's easier and cheaper to create using this format if i'm not mistaken. I've seen members here contributing to different local forums and yes they cover very similar topics which eventually become dull. how to make it interesting? not easy. it takes members here to think of and come up with interesting topics that can both be educational and easy to contribute.

let me give you an example. I've been in this forum for years and I've never seen a thread that says "what is the reason of having a vertical clutch and its pros and cons". this is because it's too technical and many members here buy watches because of design, affordability, history, brand recognition, peer pressure and etc. while most of us want a in-house movement vs ETA/Miyota/Selita whatever but I suspect not many truly understand how the individual parts work. unlike some overseas forums that I lurk, there seems to be more of such discussion which is informative.

I could be wrong..but I think the forum differentiation is its content and whether or not it wants to go for a more technical route?

cheers

kindly email with
                          2. your nick

Comment

still OT: for as long as forum post counts have been around, participants have been trying to amass posts for whatever privileges that come with the territory.

what differentiates a member who posts thousands of short replies (WOW NICE WATCH! ME TOO! USEFUL INFO! I LOVE YOU LONG TIME!) versus members that genuinely contribute to the knowledge base of the forum by posting merely hundreds of useful replies?

perhaps a contributing level/category can encourage members to craft better replies as that is a purposeful goal for the benefit of not just other members (new/old) but also the forum.
                            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

i can consider giving users like you special title. it goes in line of my vision for this forum that rewards members who do special write ups.

still OT: for as long as forum post counts have been around, participants have been trying to amass posts for whatever privileges that come with the territory.

what differentiates a member who posts thousands of short replies (WOW NICE WATCH! ME TOO! USEFUL INFO! I LOVE YOU LONG TIME!) versus members that genuinely contribute to the knowledge base of the forum by posting merely hundreds of useful replies?

perhaps a contributing level/category can encourage members to craft better replies as that is a purposeful goal for the benefit of not just other members (new/old) but also the forum.

kindly email with
                              2. your nick

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                                ...it goes in line of my vision for this forum that rewards members who do special write ups.
                                let me be quick to comment that my past posts were not made with obtaining a title in mind, and that it doesn't matter to me what level or title i am. i'm sure i'm not the only member who feels this way.

rather, to recap, a title can better compel members to contribute by way of quality posts. even new members can participate by pointing out information they have recently learnt or directing even newer members (hey, we all have to start somewhere) to the appropriate posts/links.

i also think it doesn't necessarily have to be technical in nature, as some members have recently tried, perhaps to encourage discussion by coming up with relevant topics.

finally, while i hope this forum continues to prosper, i humbly hope the staff can seek a balance of a "familial" product (built on good ole organic growth with the END USER in mind) than fall prey to excessive commercialization/monetizing of the site.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X