• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floods in Bt Timah

Wow.. bros living near them jialat...

Nov 19, 2009
    Flash floods in Bt Timah

HEAVY downpours caused flash floods in the Bukit Timah areas, with waters reaching knee-high in some places.

Traffic snarled along Bukit Timah and Dunearn Roads as cars slowed to a crawl to get through the flood waters.

Motorists said the Bukit Timah canal was overflowing, causing waters to rise to knee-high level in some areas.

Students who had sat for their A Level exams were stuck at bus-stops and in schools.

According to Stomper Martin, the flooding caused a major traffic jam on Bukit Timah and Dunearn Road sometime between 1 pm and 2.30pm.

He said he was stuck in his office at Sime Darby Centre during the heavy downpour and was late for a meeting because of it.

Singapore's weatherman has forecast that the wet spell will continue till January and flash floods are expected in low-lying and flood-prone areas including Chinatown, the Central Business District, Geylang, Lorong Buangkok and Tanjong Katong.

PUB, the national water agency, has said that heavy rain brought on by the north-east monsoon could coincide with 3m- to 3.2m-high tides, triggering flash floods over the next few months.

To quell the effects of the stormy spell, PUB has invested $59 million over the last 12 months to widen and deepen drainage networks, as well as raise the roads in 10 low-lying areas such as Cuscaden Road, Mountbatten Road and Commonwealth Avenue.

Since last month, the agency has advised 204 residents and businesses to store belongings on elevated ground and place sandbags at entrances to block flooding.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Then today must be worse... Raining non-stop..

Comment

19th Nov is today right?

or that article is for a previous day de?
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Wah seh! Heng today no class sia!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

heh...yup... was at one of the exam centre at Bukit Timah today overseeing the afternoon paper.... i have to start the paper a little bit later cos there was a lot of 'missing' candidates in the exam hall.......
          Rolex TT Submariner Date Blue Dial (Ref#116613LB)
          Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (Ref#116660)
          Rolex 18K/SS Oyster Perpetual Datejust (Ref#16233)
          Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono (Ref#2920.80.91)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
            Wah seh! Heng today no class sia!
            yeah go orchard gai gai lor
            the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
            visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

Mr Warren Phee, owner of LanLab Online in Bukit Timah Shopping Centre's basement two, holds a florescent lamp in the darkness as he inspects the damage in his premises when the ceiling fell onto his computersDURING 2-1/2 hours on Thursday afternoon, almost half a month's worth of rain was dumped on central Singapore, most of which drained into the Bukit Timah Canal.
              The canal burst its banks and knee-deep water brought traffic to a standstill along several stretches of Bukit Timah - Coronation Road to Third Avenue; Wilby Road to Blackmore Drive; and the Sixth Avenue junction.

The intense downpour - 110mm of rain between 12.50pm and 3.20pm - was more than the canal could empty into the Pandan reservoir. There were no reports of any serious incidents, but several vehicles stalled and a few were nearly fully submerged in underground carparks.

'The water level was so high my car was floating inside the carpark. My colleague had to swim in to push it out,' said Ms Pauline Tan, the owner of a silver Peugeot parked at the 6th Avenue Centre basement carpark.

Flood waters had subsided by 3.30pm.
              A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

wah liew!! watched news last night and they showed a bit of the basement area. it was belly belly bad sia!!
                I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Living in a developed country but experience like a third world country. This is gonna affect the property selling price in Bukit Timah.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogmen View Post
                    Living in a developed country but experience like a third world country. This is gonna affect the property selling price in Bukit Timah.
                    affect or not also doesnt matter. property tax still gg up

sadz hor?

Comment

yeah..no choice...everything goes up but not the salary nor bonus...drat...
                      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

KNN ..... si bei sway ah....

i stay near sixth ave... my hse no kanna flood, but i park car near bt timah main road, with with sis/ frds... NNB ay, car go in water.... @#$%^&*&^%$# ... park there 12+ still no rain... thn close to 1... heavy rain... by 2pm... wow lau... knee high...... 1 frd kanna no water in, but car sensor, abs & check engine lit up... the other 1 enter water... my car, enter quite alot... ccb... car can start, but car seat heater on automatically, knn, so hot ....i send it to agent yesterday afternoon... today call and say got to change 2 front seat, each at least 20K and abv... CCB... another 1 kanna water in and airbag lit up...... wtf.

today i drv pass 6th ave ( jalan haji alias ) ... i saw tow truck, tow a 911 frm a house there... flooded to the hood...hahhaa...took a pic, later i upload pic

Comment

tow out of the hse off six ave.... see the water mark...

Comment

Originally posted by pet View Post
                            KNN ..... si bei sway ah....

i stay near sixth ave... my hse no kanna flood, but i park car near bt timah main road, with with sis/ frds... NNB ay, car go in water.... @#$%^&*&^%$# ... park there 12+ still no rain... thn close to 1... heavy rain... by 2pm... wow lau... knee high...... 1 frd kanna no water in, but car sensor, abs & check engine lit up... the other 1 enter water... my car, enter quite alot... ccb... car can start, but car seat heater on automatically, knn, so hot ....i send it to agent yesterday afternoon... today call and say got to change 2 front seat, each at least 20K and abv... CCB... another 1 kanna water in and airbag lit up...... wtf.

today i drv pass 6th ave ( jalan haji alias ) ... i saw tow truck, tow a 911 frm a house there... flooded to the hood...hahhaa...took a pic, later i upload pic
                            fwah, change 2 front seat each front seat ish 20k+? yours is probably ferrai or lambogini liaoz!! steadyz sia!

but then there goes 2 PP for you

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                              fwah, change 2 front seat each front seat ish 20k+? yours is probably ferrai or lambogini liaoz!! steadyz sia!

but then there goes 2 PP for you
                              1 PP only lah...PP where got so cheap hehe

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X