Mah Bow Tan asks home buyers to be “realistic”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mah Bow Tan asks home buyers to be “realistic”

National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan has urged home buyers to be “realistic” in their expectations of public housing saying that HDB cannot meet all expectations of home buyers even though the standard of housing has increased over the years.

Mr Mah, who is 61, recalled his childhood days living in Kim Keat Avenue. His then three-room HDB flat ‘was like a palace’ – even though there was just one toilet and bathroom in a flat with eight people.

“Although new HDB flats are going to be even nicer over time… certain expectations, we cannot meet….HDB cannot build flats only in mature estates, or flats that are only on high floors. I need to have flats on the second floor and third floor as well. And who is going to live on these floors? So I think our commitment is that we will build and make available flats to young couples at affordable prices,” he added.

Mr Mah also dismissed the suggestion by NMP Viswa Sadasivan that there is a groundswell of discontent that first-time buyers are not able to buy the flats.

He said that feedback from the ground has shown that home buyers ‘would like HDB to provide ready-made flats in good locations at cheaper prices, faster, better… and this is the reason why I think we have to better communicate our policies’, said Mr Mah.

The prices of HDB flats have sky-rocketed in recent months due to limited supply of new flats built by HDB and rising demand from PRs.

An ERA report in July this year revealed that about 40 per cent of the buyers in the resale market are PRs.

An Indonesian PR “spoiled” the market lately by paying $653,000 for a 4-room HDB flat in Queenstown when he can well afford a condominium.

Mr Mah also said that PRs occupy less than 5 per cent of all Housing Board flats, but did not quote any sources to substantiate his claim.

While the prices of new HDB flats have doubled or even tripled over the last two decades, the wages of ordinary Singaporeans have not kept pace with the housing prices.

A new 4-room BTO flat in Punggol costs around $300,000 today compared to $220,000 for a similar-sized flat in nearby Sengkang five years ago.

On the other hand, the starting pay of undergraduates remain stagnant at between $2,400 – $2,800.

Despite evidence showing otherwise, HDB is adamant that public housing remains affordable to the majority of Singaporeans.

Singaporeans now have to fork out a larger proportion of their monthly salary to finance the housing loan, leaving very little, if any at all for their retirement needs.

Mr Mah reiterated that HDB has incurred a large deficit in “subsidizing” Singaporeans in public housing:

“‘Overall, HDB incurs a large deficit in building and selling flats every year, as reflected in its audited annual accounts. In its financial year from 2008 to 2009, HDB incurred a deficit of $1.5 billion for the home ownership programme alone,” he added.

For first-time buyers who are encountering genuine difficulties in getting a flat of their choice, Mr Mah’s words will offer scant comfort to them.

Perhaps they should simply heed his advice and be “realistic” instead of clamoring for an ideal flat in an ideal location.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Loser.
    "Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. And it will leave you unfulfilled."

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

"If we aren't willing to pay a price for our values, then we should ask ourselves whether we truly believe in them at all."

"先天下之忧而忧 , 后天下之乐而乐"

Comment

wow, childhood days got flat good leow loh... of cos heaven lah......

other ppl born in houses, with attap as roof and compact soil/ mud as living room flooring

i think Mr Mah got to realise tht there's a portion who will choose location...but there's also another larger group who;s more worried abt prices keep going up and up.

10-15k new flat can meet yearly demand ? i doubt.

..will get to hear more TCSS stories frm ND & HDB loh...

Comment

Originally posted by pet View Post
        wow, childhood days got flat good leow loh... of cos heaven lah......

other ppl born in houses, with attap as roof and compact soil/ mud as living room flooring

i think Mr Mah got to realise tht there's a portion who will choose location...but there's also another larger group who;s more worried abt prices keep going up and up.

10-15k new flat can meet yearly demand ? i doubt.

..will get to hear more TCSS stories frm ND & HDB loh...

my dad with his family of 3 brothers 1 sister, dad and mum only had a room at a flat near tiong bahru area. Only nearing his 20s then he managed to buy a 3 room flag at telok blangah.

marlboro dunno what is poor I tell you...sounds familiar

anyway, as long as we work, we can afford the monthly installment de. just that everytime iteats more into our disposable income thats all. leaving less for us and everyone loh.

couple with rising pub, rising taxes, rising transport cost (note, all seem to be public goods orh), further generations will def know what is poor. Oh, did I mention, our MP pay is one of the highest in the world? what is poor to them? oh well, no choic, need money to fight corruption as well as get the right pple to keep the country going....I foolly understand

"Mr Mah also dismissed the suggestion by NMP Viswa Sadasivan that there is a groundswell of discontent that first-time buyers are not able to buy the flats.
        "

happy dismissing
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

like north korea. they not showing world cup if they not winning.

so only look at the bright side.

anything suggest otherwise, dismiss. wrong person suggest wrongly, sue.

policy is good. people get the flats they wanted. flats affordable, only take 30yrs to pay. 62-22. You got 40yrs to work so not bad (if can get employed after 55).
          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X