• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public transport fares to go down by 2.5% from Jul 3... but

Public transport fares to go down by 2.5% from Jul 3
    By Lin Jiamei | Posted: 20 April 2010 1231 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

SINGAPORE : Bus and train fares will be reduced by 2.5 per cent from July 3 when the Public Transport Council (PTC) introduces a new distance-based fare system.

Currently fares are calculated based on stages and there are fare penalties and rebates when the commuter makes a transfer.

But come July 3, the fares will be based on the actual distance travelled regardless of whether it is made on a direct trip or many transfers were made.

With the changes, the PTC said that two in three commuters will see a reduction or no change in their weekly public transport expenditure.

One third of them will see an increase.

Boarding charges will be higher with the changes.

On buses, they will go up 2 cents to 71 cents, and increase 3 cents to either 71 cents or 76 cents on trains.

Senior citizens and students will continue to enjoy concessionary travel.

Their fares will be capped at 7.2 kilometres.

When the changes kick in, seven in ten enjoying concessionary travel will see savings.

Meanwhile, SMRT has said it supports the implementation of distance-based fares.

Its chief operating officer Yeo Meng Hin said it will provide commuters with the convenience of different travel modes and encourage commuters to use the public transport system.

In spite of the fare reduction, SMRT said it is committed to further assist commuters who require financial assistance through its various programmes.

- CNA/il
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Media report it as down... but read those in bold..

"On buses, they will go up 2 cents to 71 cents, and increase 3 cents to either 71 cents or 76 cents on trains."

Just me and my NT...

Comment

"With the changes, the PTC said that two in three commuters will see a reduction or no change in their weekly public transport expenditure.

One third of them will see an increase."

just curious, how they come up with this kinda stats?

What they mean is, the 1/3 that sees increase are those that travel short distances. reason because boarding actually went up.

the other 2/3 are those that travel long distances as now, its no longer on stages, but more on distance travelled.

but do you know what such implementation is for? It is to prevent those people who like to tap their cards early. i.e, by right I tap when I reach stage 15, but driver kind, allow me to tap at stage 14 just before reaching the busstop. Hence, now no more such thingy liaoz since measure by distance. This allows them greater control bah.

And not forgetting that sometimes, 3-4 busstops = 1 stage and same price. Now with this distance thingy, all 3-4 busstops will have their own fares. tell me how to be cheaper?
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

maybe not stats ... but .....

theory ???
        Estimate ???
        or any how say .... hahahhaa

so from article .... reduce 2.5 per cent for 2/3 .....
        maybe ... increase 10%- 40% for the other 1/3 .... end result still higher revennue...hahahha

Comment

Champion in profteering!
          "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

This is what so called 变相加价!!

Every year price increased, they have to find "OTHER" ways to increase the price and to smoke people to avoid people making noise.

Comment

M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y mah so bo bian...now is a good time for them to increase.

cars gettnig more exp means lots of commoners that don earn millions per annum have to turn to public transport. Hence, no matter how they price or suck in service and frequency, do we even have alternatives?

why not allow private companies to come in? give them a run for the money oso good wat.
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

The confectionary will drop their bread price when the oil price drop fr usd 150+ per barrel till usd 80+ perbarre why they dnt drop their fare atleast 30%??
                Actually who will be the one really enjoy the benefits by withdraw the rebate of transfer?? The public transport operator or commuters??
                Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
                Future - Geneva hallmark
                Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

Originally posted by dennistwc View Post
                  The confectionary will drop their bread price when the oil price drop fr usd 150+ per barrel till usd 80+ perbarre why they dnt drop their fare atleast 30%??
                  Actually who will be the one really enjoy the benefits by withdraw the rebate of transfer?? The public transport operator or commuters??
                  Uniquely Sinkapore...... Suck ur blood, smoke u... then u still have to thank them for sucking ur blood...

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
                    Uniquely Sinkapore...... Suck ur blood, smoke u... then u still have to thank them for sucking ur blood...
                    Like your quote.

Comment

Originally posted by pet View Post
                      maybe not stats ... but .....

theory ???
                      Estimate ???
                      or any how say .... hahahhaa

so from article .... reduce 2.5 per cent for 2/3 .....
                      maybe ... increase 10%- 40% for the other 1/3 .... end result still higher revennue...hahahha
                      News said end result will loss 32million or something leh..
                      my maths very bad leh.. 1/3 pay less... 2/3 pay more.. loss 32million.. how to calculate leh?
                      I'm a super low-baller

Comment

they also reported a permanent loss of dunno 88million or 8.8million (cant rem the facts report in Ch 8 news last night) for switching to this distance based fare calculations.

poor SBS...come come, let's pay more to help them earn back....

Comment

ok, I ll take public transport more often to help them to tide over this low period….hope my tiny 5 cent or 10 cent ll works
                          Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
                          Future - Geneva hallmark
                          Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X