Singapore got World Cup liao!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore got World Cup liao!!

After more than six months of nail—biting suspense, sources have confirmed that football fans will be able to watch all 64 matches of the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa ’live’ on television in Singapore.

Details of the closely—guarded deal were, on Wednesday night, still being ironed out by the two telco giants — StarHub and SingTel.

One scenario is for the matches to be split between StarHub’s cable service and SingTel’s mioTV. However, a source familiar with the outcome, pointed out that if the telcos split the bill 50—50, it was more likely that all the matches would be telecast on both pay television platforms.

Selected matches will also be telecast live on free—to—air television by national broadcaster MediaCorp. The number of matches on free—to—air TV could not be confirmed but is likely to include the opening match between South Africa and Mexico as well as the semi—finals and finals.

TODAY expects an announcement to be made this week.

What’s the deal worth?

When it comes to the exact dollars and cents of the deal the picture gets a little grainy, especially since both telcos are listed.

According to sources, the telecast rights were finally negotiated down to about US$15 million, or about S$21 million. This is about half the S$40 million in many earlier news reports.

How does this compare to past deals? Well, now the picture gets fuzzier. Exact numbers have never been revealed, the last deal inked by StarHub was for two World Cup finals — 2002 and 2006 — and given that the deal is in US dollars, the exchange rate has moved significantly over the past decade.

It is believed that StarHub paid US$5 million for the telecast rights to the 2006 World Cup. If so, the US$15 million figure is in line with the three to four times more that many other countries are paying for telecast rights this year.

So does that same three—fold multiplier apply to what fans will have to pay to watch the World Cup? In 2006, StarHub charged a $15 subscription fee for those who signed up during their early—bird promotion and $25 subsequently.

Said banker Kelvin Tan: "I would definitely not pay more than $100 to watch the World Cup, at most $60 or so."

Time was running out

It was in December that StarHub and SingTel first revealed that they had submitted a joint bid to Football Media Services (FMS), the Asian representatives of the event’s rights holder, FIFA.

It is understood there have been at least half a dozen bids tabled unsuccessfully. Some have blamed SingTel for its aggressive bid of more than $300 million for three seasons of Barclays Premier League (BPL) matches which may have sent a signal to FIFA, and its agent FMS, that there was money to be made in football crazy Singapore.

So why did both sides finally settle on this smaller sum?

One theory: Each day that passed without a deal meant that the telcos had less time to score advertising deals, which are the main source of revenue to defray their costs — short of passing them on to consumers.

This made it less and less attractive for the telcos to raise their bid. With the World Cup kicking off on June 11, the telcos now have just six weeks to sell advertising. — TODAY
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

wah time to book my seat at the nearby 24 hr kopitiam liaoz
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
      wah time to book my seat at the nearby 24 hr kopitiam liaoz

Last WC I also did that. One kopi O at 90 cent and settle 1 game. Semi and final watch free at home. Other matches can only catch the 10 pm one. Others too late. So, if I choose carefully, will cost less than $10 at kopi tiam for this world cup.

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
        Last WC I also did that. One kopi O at 90 cent and settle 1 game. Semi and final watch free at home. Other matches can only catch the 10 pm one. Others too late. So, if I choose carefully, will cost less than $10 at kopi tiam for this world cup.
        Haha, I like your rationale, spend only $10 on World Cup, save up for watches! : )
        Sweet 16:
        PP Aquanaut
        VC Overseas
        AP ROO Black Themes
        A.Lange & Sohne 1815
        Breguet Type XXI
        Blancpain 50 Fathoms
        JLC Navy Seals
        GO Senator 60s
        GP Laureato
        Zenith Pilot Extra Special
        Rolex DSSD
        IWC Big Pilot
        Pam 112
        Omega Ploprof
        Breitling Super Avenger
        Glycine F104

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
          I lagi smarter, go with friends and they order kopi but I don order. probably less than $10
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

I lagi smarter, go with friends and they order kopi but I don order. probably less than $10
            Wait you got fewer and fewer friends then you know. Sorry for OT

Comment

Which country is the favourite team to win?

Comment

Haha, great idea bro, and if you're thirsty, just sip from their cup. You take 10 sips, you get a free cup!
                Sweet 16:
                PP Aquanaut
                VC Overseas
                AP ROO Black Themes
                A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                Breguet Type XXI
                Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                JLC Navy Seals
                GO Senator 60s
                GP Laureato
                Rolex DSSD
                IWC Big Pilot
                Pam 112
                Omega Ploprof
                Breitling Super Avenger
                Glycine F104

Comment

Finally...
                  Rolex Submariner 116610LV Alphanumeric Series (The Hulk)
                  Rolex GMT Master II 16710 COKE (Stick Dial) D Series

Comment

i was speaking to my singtel business manager 2 months ago. we agreed that it is confirmed that there will be telecast of world cup. only question is $.

proven correct again.
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
                      Haha, great idea bro, and if you're thirsty, just sip from their cup. You take 10 sips, you get a free cup!
                      so....u wanna go watch world cup with me?

Comment

Haha, I'd love to but where you stay Bro? I'm in Bukit Batok area...
                        Sweet 16:
                        PP Aquanaut
                        VC Overseas
                        AP ROO Black Themes
                        A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                        Breguet Type XXI
                        Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                        JLC Navy Seals
                        GO Senator 60s
                        GP Laureato
                        Rolex DSSD
                        IWC Big Pilot
                        Pam 112
                        Omega Ploprof
                        Breitling Super Avenger
                        Glycine F104

Comment

haiz, i stay west coast area.

nm, I think of you you think of me when watching can le

Comment

Comment

what?
                              Haha

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X