Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEWARE: users using android based phones

Google activates kill switch to remove malicious apps from Android Market

After several days of silence on the issue, Google has confirmed it removed several malicious apps from its Android Market earlier this week and said it would remove the apps from users' devices as well.

Only devices running an Android version earlier than version 2.2.2 were susceptible to the rogue apps, which took advantage of known vulnerabilities, the Internet giant reported late last night in company blog. The company believes the only information that was accessed by the apps were the unique codes used to identify the the specific device and the version of Android that it was running.

58 malicious apps were identified and removed Tuesday but not before they were downloaded to about 260,000 devices, according to a TechChrunch report. Google said it would use a kill switch to remotely remove the apps from users' devices and push an Android security update to affected users to repair the damage done by the apps. Affected users can expect to receive an email from Android Market support explaining the action, Google said.

The developer accounts associated with the apps were suspended and law enforcement officials were contacted, Google said.

Earlier this week, a Reddit user discovered that pirated versions of legitimate apps on the Android Market were infected by a Trojan called DroidDream, which uses a root exploit dubbed "rageagainstthecage" to compromise a device, according to a report on enthusiast site Android Police.

The malware was described as especially virulent because it apparently cannot only capture user and product information from a device but also has the ability to download more code capable of further damage.

Google representatives did not immediately respond to a request for further information or comment.

Via CNET News
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

i think google should at least inform all users. to use a kill switch to remote remove the users' devices is what i call intrusion of privacy.

what i feel they should do is sent an email to all users to get them to download the relevant app to remove all the apps.

looking forward, i think google and android should look into the process on how to approve apps.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
    2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Holy cr@p! I hope I didn't download anything suspicious.
      How can we tell if we did?

Comment

click here to read abit more.

kindly email with
        2. your nick

Comment

the google kill switch that just remotely access the users phone is atad scary. just imagine what else google can/could/will do with that kind of power?

luckily for me; im not android user yet but when the time comes to choose; this will definitely be on my mind.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Great job, I was doing a google search and your site came up for homes for sale in Altamonte Springs, FL but anyway, I have enjoyed reading it, keep it up!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X