Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO Box - NO Papers

Hello all.

There have been several great watches that I've come very close to purchasing in the past because of No Box - No Papers. But at the end, the nagging feeling stopped me.

- Is the watch stolen?.
    - Is the watch a counterfeit?.
    - Is the watch being sold without the real owners consent? (wife selling husband's watch?)
    - Is there less re-sale value, when I want to sell in future?.

The common remark that i hear from 'owners' is that they lost the box during moving. But how can you lose a Rolex box?. Is it not important enough to keep safe?.

I just wanted so other points-of-view.. Maybe I should take the plunge and buy NO-box/No-paper???? any feedback would be great.

thanks

Originally posted by SpeedFreak View Post
    Hello all.

There have been several great watches that I've come very close to purchasing in the past because of No Box - No Papers. But at the end, the nagging feeling stopped me.

- Is the watch stolen?.
    - Is the watch being sold without the real owners consent? (wife selling husband's watch?)

The common remark that i hear from 'owners' is that they lost the box during moving. But how can you lose a Rolex box?. Is it not important enough to keep safe?.

I just wanted so other points-of-view.. Maybe I should take the plunge and buy NO-box/No-paper???? any feedback would be great.

thanks
    I understand your point of view and concerns raised, it's very common among the typical Singaporeans.

To be honest...ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. It could be stolen,it could be counterfeit, it could be sold without the real owner's consent.

I only see the facts in front of me, which is the watch itself. Whatever the seller's story or reason for selling, I will always take it with a pinch of salt. You can sell for whatever reason, which you don't wish to tell me and use something to cover up. There's no right or wrong about it. There's no law that says you must tell the real reason why you want to sell it. So just listen and continue checking out the watch while the seller tells his story.

If he's out to scam you, you are still gonna get scammed the moment you want to buy it. Cannot run from it, just have to take the next step to mitigate the issue.

As long as the item you are getting is what you feel is worth paying for, then by all means get it. His "selling story" may not match very well..but as long as you know what you are getting, I think it's fine.

Your questions:

Is watch authentic? -> If you have doubts with the seller's words, can always verify at whichever place you are comfortable with.

Is watch stolen? -> That is something beyond your control, just like buying TOTO, it's not within your means if you win the first prize.

Is there less resale value -> Yes resale is lower, but you buy cheaper and you sell cheaper. Isn't it the same as paying more for a watch with cert and selling off higher than one without? Whichever is comfortable to you and makes you smile in your sleep while wearing it.

Item sold without consent -> Say that happens...IF seller asks you to sell back to him due to that reason, the ball is in your court to believe it's the truth or not right? What makes you think that person is telling the truth? (Think again )

IF seller doesn't ask you to sell it back to him...then how you know? Just enjoy your watch

My personal view on NO Box and or Papers.

Box- Got money can buy, most (98%) of the boxes used by the different companies are generic across most models.
    Papers - Got money cannot buy, but does having papers mean that it's authentic? NO. because anything can be possible.

As I always advice people, if you cannot overcome the mental barrier of the watch having any issue like those mentioned...nobody can help. Just buy brand new for a peace of your mind

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

anything is possible, just be careful

Comment

Full set got full set price.
        Watch only has watch only price.
        As long as you are not paying full set price for a watch only....cool.

Full set can also be stolen, fake, Or cheated from.
        I don't really care what's the reason box and papers gone. If no box and paper, then follow that price. Btw, my wife did really threw away a paneri box of mine many years back. Cos, she sees it as useless and taking up space.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedFreak View Post
          Hello all.

- Is the watch stolen?.

thanks
          My dad throw the box away while shifting house...... Tell me box is not important cert than important hahaha
          You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

why is the papers so impt? w/o papers can still service at service center?

thanks!

Comment

Firstly, no box and paper doesn't meant that the watch is fake or stolen. As what other members mentioned, anything is possible.

But if you are buying to wear and not thinking of reselling, is ok to buy without box and paper. If you are worried that the watch is fake, get it verify by a reputable watch shop:-) If you are going to resell, then better to get with box and paper to command a higher price..

Cheers
              Don't worry, be happy

Comment

there's always the risk of buying pre-owned pieces, just that complete sets with box and papers give you more assurance... if you're going to lose sleep over the authenticity etc., then better buy brand new, it's going to cost you more, but at least you wear it without worries.
                elusive

Comment

hmm.. if buy 1 w/o papers can still get it verified at RSC rights? $100 for verification?

Comment

Agreed! But seriously, nowadays the fake ones are getting more "real", even cards, boxes can be "replicated". IMO, after getting a pre-owned or 2nd hand from anyone even shops, it's best to carry out a verification immediately. Better pay a small sum of verification fees to have a huge relief or piece of mind. Otherwise, it will be a big waste.

With the complete set, in particular with the paper or certificate, the value will be much higher in future, be it as a form of investment or passing it down to someone in future.

Originally posted by satch View Post
                    there's always the risk of buying pre-owned pieces, just that complete sets with box and papers give you more assurance... if you're going to lose sleep over the authenticity etc., then better buy brand new, it's going to cost you more, but at least you wear it without worries.

Comment

No box or paper doesn't matter to me as long as it's real. But i prefer to buy from shop as receipt will be issue to me as a proof of purchase from where i got the watch from... So when selling, at least i can proof that i got it from legal source.
                      Current:
                      No More Liao...

Comment

another quick question. for verification, best is do on the spot right? bring back and then go verify another day very dangerous yah?

Comment

paper just "id" for the watch, dont need paper to service at service center

Originally posted by myownlittleshop View Post
                          why is the papers so impt? w/o papers can still service at service center?

thanks!
                          Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by myownlittleshop View Post
                            another quick question. for verification, best is do on the spot right? bring back and then go verify another day very dangerous yah?
                            Common practice is to do authentication on the spot (i.e. before watch/money change hand), unless the seller agrees to give grace period for authentication later (very rarely the case).
                            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

thank you all for informative answers.

Watch authenticity can always be verified at the official dealer.

I guess for me the nagging factor was the stolen aspect. I'm not taking about a low end watch, but more so mid to higher end watches which I've been thinking of purchasing. For example the AP 15300/ PPNautilus are not cheap, and some samples with no box/ no paper can reduce the price of up to $2k..so it is a big difference.

maybe I just want piece of mind. For higher end watches, is there a registry when they're purchased?. I don't want to purchase a watch and years down, I go to get it serviced and find out that it was a stolen watch listed on an official registry.

thanks

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X