Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

green patina on bronze watches... (please don't do it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green patina on bronze watches... (please don't do it)

here's something written by someone on another forum in response to a similar watch (the original picture had a lot of NICKNAMEOFWATCHOWNER FOR XXX water mark added by the blog owner, not the watch owner, and i think that's just ridiculous).

here is a picture without all those FOR XXX water marks, spoiling a perfectly good photo:

"...Here's the thing, that green stuff is verdigris. It happens to copper, brass, bronze when (it comes) in contact with various substances...sea water included.

The main ingredient in verdigris (is)...copper carbonate. Unless acetic acid was applied, then it will be copper acetate.

Since copper doesn't come from sea water (which I'm assuming is what the watch owner's bragging about) the copper has to come from somewhere.

You guessed it. (From) the brass/bronze matrix of the base material.

I see this all the time when I restore old scuba equipment. The issue is not that it can't be cleaned up, the issue is that when it is cleaned up there will be pits where the copper has come out of solution of the base material.

So this thing will look like a pitted POS pretty soon. I hope he likes that look. Because if he ever cleans it it'll be pitted like a mofo.

There's another thing that's pretty dumb about this too. Verdigris has copper compounds in it that are poisonous.

So if he has this in contact with his skin on a daily basis he's bound to see some rashes or something else going on..."
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Hi taxico can u pm me? Your inbox is full tks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
      here's something written by someone on another forum in response to a similar watch (the original picture had a lot of NICKNAMEOFWATCHOWNER FOR XXX water mark added by the blog owner, not the watch owner, and i think that's just ridiculous).

here is a picture without all those FOR XXX water marks, spoiling a perfectly good photo:

"...Here's the thing, that green stuff is verdigris. It happens to copper, brass, bronze when (it comes) in contact with various substances...sea water included.

The main ingredient in verdigris (is)...copper carbonate. Unless acetic acid was applied, then it will be copper acetate.

Since copper doesn't come from sea water (which I'm assuming is what the watch owner's bragging about) the copper has to come from somewhere.

You guessed it. (From) the brass/bronze matrix of the base material.

I see this all the time when I restore old scuba equipment. The issue is not that it can't be cleaned up, the issue is that when it is cleaned up there will be pits where the copper has come out of solution of the base material.

So this thing will look like a pitted POS pretty soon. I hope he likes that look. Because if he ever cleans it it'll be pitted like a mofo.

There's another thing that's pretty dumb about this too. Verdigris has copper compounds in it that are poisonous.

So if he has this in contact with his skin on a daily basis he's bound to see some rashes or something else going on..."
      OMG what the hell that fellow did to his watch, if that is my watch ... Think I will need tissue to crying my lungs out

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
      Working...
      X