X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixmasternrv
    replied
    Originally posted by Balzebub View Post
    Actually I think JW isn't too far off in terms of pricing from Swatch. I was quoted a price close to Swatch's quote for the service of my Speedmaster and a turn around of more than 3 months. Hence I decided to go with a Swatch full service. I also believe that servicing a watch at the manufacturer will give me peace of mind that all parts will be Omega and polishing is done correctly to retain the factory finishing for case and bracelet.plus a 2 years warranty is hard to beat.

in fact Swatch quoted me around 450 to 500 for full service of my Quartz SMP 300.
    Well I do agree with you that I'd go the the authorised centre - but in my case only if the watch was still under warranty [why the hell not??], or is an automatic that needed a post warranty service like one of my Breitlings. Their service video gives you details that make you simply say - damn, they just "re-newed" my watch. I wouldn't risk either one of them automatic Breitlings - but I would take a chance with a quartz model and I did. Swatch did ask for $500 but I am taking a calculated risk here...

Leave a comment:

• Balzebub
    replied
    Actually I think JW isn't too far off in terms of pricing from Swatch. I was quoted a price close to Swatch's quote for the service of my Speedmaster and a turn around of more than 3 months. Hence I decided to go with a Swatch full service. I also believe that servicing a watch at the manufacturer will give me peace of mind that all parts will be Omega and polishing is done correctly to retain the factory finishing for case and bracelet.plus a 2 years warranty is hard to beat.

in fact Swatch quoted me around 450 to 500 for full service of my Quartz SMP 300.

Leave a comment:

• mixmasternrv
    replied
    Interesting....I've been a nut for Omegas having had 6 over the years. Now I have 3...
    I had my Omega Seamaster 2254.50 serviced at SWATCH Group a year back and yes they started with a $775 estimate with more to be advised after inspection. It took 6 weeks because of parts availability but the watch came back pretty much in new running condition.

Recently bought a used mint 2230.50 - probably would send it in for a full service in a couple of years at SWATCH too. The chap I bought it from recommended JW who also do servicing. Visited them when I was in the Tanjong Pagar area and I liked what I saw. The counter service was good and the craftsmen in the back looked like they knew what they were doing.

So I took a test run.......sent in my quartz SMP300 [circa 2006]for a full service. They quoted $250 + $80 for a polish . Only drawback is time frame - 12 weeks! Yup 3 Months. So I will know then if it was a good decision. Still my watch is a quartz - albeit an Omega. But seeing the satisfied customers there who were handing in everything from IWCs to Franck Mullers - I may have found a far more affordable service centre.... Will keep you brothers updated when I see my watch again in November.

Leave a comment:

• Cosmo
    replied
    Kudos to you Lester and maybe this hobby does need more people like yourself when it comes time to bite the bullet. Main thing is you are happy with the result and that is what matters. Pretty obvious that its a chunk of $$$ but ultimately you are happy with it. For me, I am more curious as to why the inside would corrode more than having to spend the $. People gladly pay to service/change parts in a car but have trouble with hobbies and that baffles me indeed. Enjoy the watch to the fullest!

Leave a comment:

• Lester
    replied
    Dear watcher 78,
    Yes..after paying such a high price..I certainly have a renewed respect for this watch. Am enjoying every minute of it..

Cheers and best wishes..

Lester

Leave a comment:

• Lester
    replied
    Hi Amitabh,

I dont think it is officially a rip off..as it was serviced by swatch group itself..but i agree 100 percent that it feels like a rip off.
    Frankly, I am also puzzled how a component on the inside of the watch could corrode. Maybe an original defect? But..after all that is said and done..I seriously doubt Swatch Grp will care less..as the warranty is way expired.
    Well.. thats the luck of the draw I guess.

Cheers and warmest wishes,

Lester

Leave a comment:

• amitabh
    replied
    $2,500 for servicing ! are u sure it is not a rip off? apologies, I too love watches and would like them to keep them in perfect condition. A few things to consider :-
    a. why did the moon phase disc corrode? was there a defect- normally these watches are made of surgical steel...hence corrosion in such a critical part is surprising . Somehow these stories of high service cost bring back my own memories of how I got ripped off by melcher when i went to them for a simple battery change in one of the breitling navitimers i used to own. The watch was very old and had a lot of emotional value for me. They refused to service and said that I will have to pay for the movement change ...I ended up paying a huge price and felt so bad that i decided to sell the watch all together....

Leave a comment:

• watcher78
    replied
    Ouch..sure a painful price to pay fr servicing..but the satisfaction u get after servicing it..is priceless..

Leave a comment:

• Lester
    replied
    Hi Trinidad,
    A new watch costs SG$7950(before discount). I know..ouch to me right? I feel the pain bro..i feel the pain. Haha.

Lester

Leave a comment:

• Trinidad
    replied
    Originally posted by Lester View Post
    Dear Friends at SG-roc. I am a rolex and Omega enthusiast like many of you.

Recently sent my Omega Speedmaster Moonphase for servicing at Swatch Group at a cost of $2500.

Apparently, the moonphase disc had corrosion and i opted for it to be changed. The cost of the disc is astronomical(no pun intended) at $1200. The rest of the servicing was decent at about $1200 as a new dial and all hands and crowns were changed.

I was pleasantly surprised when Swatch Grp even returned me 3 boxed of parts..including some complete bridge assemblies. Really cool.

Other than the cost..the watch looks really good now. I also noticed that the bracelet links have been noticeably tightened..which was great. As good as new now...

If you are keen..here is a link to the video i created. Enjoy!

Link: http://youtu.be/by1DuiHibQg

Your fellow member,
    Lester

How much for a new watch?

Leave a comment:

• Lester
    replied
    Hiya Fellow Bros,

Watch is relatively old..about 7-8 years without service. I am quite perplexed as well as to why the moon disc corroded. Since I am a sucker for 'perfection' for my watches..i couldnt stand seeing the disc with corrosion on it. Thus I pulled the trigger to get it changed. Well..at least it looks perfect now. Haha.

Cheers to all bros.

Lester

Leave a comment:

• leonmike
    replied
    How old is your Speedmaster Moonphase? Have you serviced it before?

Leave a comment:

• jieming
    replied
    Any idea why the dial corroded ?

Leave a comment:

• Lester
    replied
    Thanks all bros and fellow members for your kind comments. 3 cheers for Sg-roc!

Leave a comment:

• kjy
    replied
    Did not expect that the dial and moon disk would rust or corrode, thanks for the interesting video bro.

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
Working...
X