Terrible dust problem on a 3 month old 441

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible dust problem on a 3 month old 441

Hi all. I would like to share my experience with you guys on my newly purchased 441.

This is my first Panerai, and I've got a friend to buy it for me while he was holidaying in Switzerland. That was 3 months ago. On and off, i've only worn the watch for less than 4 times while alternating between others. To my dismay, the latest time I've worn this watch, I noticed numerous specks of dusts appearing on the dial. It was terrible.

Long story short, i've sent it in for servicing immediately at the Ion store, shot an upset email on Panerai's website (with no replies up to date, why am I not surprised). The staff was nice, and i got back my watch within a month's wait, and there was not an explanation on Panerai's part why this is happening on a almost new watch.

Not to sound obnoxious, but this watch was not exactly "cheap". As much as I like the aesthetics of a steel version, I would have to say this would be my first and last Panerai purchase. Just wondering any other brothers out there facing similar problems?

Firstly, congrats on your 441...its a fine timepiece.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I never had experienced any like yours...maybe I was just plain lucky...or maybe because before I made a purchase, I will inspect the watch carefully...which doesn't apply to your case as your friend bought it for you on your behalf...

Its really terrible...but lucky for you, you still have other fine watches for rotation while the 441 was away...some only have that one and one watch only and the feeling is more disastrous. But that doesn't mean having more than one watch is alright to experience this kind of thing.

Panerai, like any other mainstream brand, does have QC issues at times. Its not exclusively only to certain brand or one specific brand but well across the whole luxury watch segment. With the excess of the web, you can practically get any information at your fingertips and search that most if not all luxury brands does have their bad moments and from experience, shooting an email does nothing...literally. Unless its some major major unbelievable incident or occurrence...

Well, on the bright side, your 441 still have plenty of warranty left...and the staff at ion were helpful...as always.

I would be more worried of the ceramic casing than the numerous specks of dust, as like what you mentioned, its not cheap.

Enjoy your 441 bro...be it your one and only or more to come...

Cheers.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
    it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
    How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done.'

Comment

thats a beautiful pc bro!
      how can the watch be water resistant if it cant even stop dust..

Comment

Originally posted by P1723 View Post
        thats a beautiful pc bro!
        how can the watch be water resistant if it cant even stop dust..

Usually these dust was present during assembly and wasn't cleaned properly...these things happened.

Comment

My take on this is maybe when I wind it up, there are some "rough" parts that was shaved in the winding process. Because there was too much "dusts", almost the entire dial. I think only a blind watchmaker would have overlooked this problem during the assembly process.

I can take QC abnormalities, but they should have handle it more professionally, answered my email etc. And it's not like I was asking for a 50% discount on the next piece in my email.

Comment

Strange, this is a sapphire crystal, not acrylic....
            Why would it have such issues...
            Some dust hidden between the sandwich dial which wasn't clear up completely during the installation?
            Did you as Panerai Ion what will they do if the same thing happens?

Comment

Originally posted by visvim View Post
              My take on this is maybe when I wind it up, there are some "rough" parts that was shaved in the winding process. Because there was too much "dusts", almost the entire dial. I think only a blind watchmaker would have overlooked this problem during the assembly process.

I can take QC abnormalities, but they should have handle it more professionally, answered my email etc. And it's not like I was asking for a 50% discount on the next piece in my email.
              I dont disagree with your theory but base on my experience as owner of a couple of Panerais, mostly manual winding,never ever once I had any sorts of dusts or any small particles due to winding and I even have this morning winding ritual everyday. Never ever have I experienced it personally nor feedback and complains from owners that their Panerais have dust particles sneak in due to excessive winding.

You will be surprised but this sorts of thing does happen during the production phase which makes you wonder how is it possible. Its more of a human error than technical failure.

Regarding your email,dont press too much hope for a reply but no doubt they should have kindly replied to it but I think they (the staff) have handled it well on their level.

Comment

Originally posted by Babolat View Post
                Did you as Panerai Ion what will they do if the same thing happens?

If it's under warranty, obviously they are under obligation to sort it out for you foc but if it's out of warranty...most prob there's a fee to it and they will advise you to rather do a servicing instead which could be some issue with the seals failure...which trust me...rarely or infact never happened cause the first thing that would make its way in will be moist or water...

Regarding bro visvim situation, if the same thing happen again, they would just repair it accordingly...happen again...repair again...over and over...

Then it's up to bro visvim...what his next move is...

But trust me,they are not that bad (the servicing) and they produce excellent watches...

Comment

Like what Bro Ryuden said, the staff just said if got problem then they can only "repair" it lor. But the servicing quite good la, take away dust, they got do time checks, waterproofing checks etc.

Still, once bitten, twice shy.

Comment

Originally posted by visvim View Post
                    Like what Bro Ryuden said, the staff just said if got problem then they can only "repair" it lor. But the servicing quite good la, take away dust, they got do time checks, waterproofing checks etc.

Still, once bitten, twice shy.
                    If I thinking negative I not going to play PAM anymore for sure.
                    If I thinking positive very excellent warranty coverage PAM for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by clocking View Post
                      If I thinking negative I not going to play PAM anymore for sure.
                      If I thinking positive very excellent warranty coverage PAM for sure.
                      No such money to think so positively

Comment

seems like a non-common problem in most PAMs, but it should be solved with a servicing...

Comment

I had an issue with my 111 a year back as well, a screw from the movement dropped out from my 4 year old watch.
                          It was pure heartbreak for me man, my first luxury watch I've purchased. So I sent it to the boutique and they merely fixed it back with no charge, even though I was out of warranty. Well, the kicker was other than that, no other polishing or servicing done on it.. I sold the watch shortly after that as I was sooooo disappointed.
                          That said, like what the other bros mentioned here, maybe I was unlucky with a lemon, so I'm giving Panerai a second chance now and just purchased a new 0 from ion boutique this year. Let's see how it goes from here...

Comment

To be fair even if a watch is sent in for a repair during warranty period. Usually NO other actions will be performed on the watch except what is necessary to get the watch back to working condition within company specifications. Hence usually no full servicing or refurbishment of case and bracelet etc. Unless u ask for and pay for it. This I think is the same across many brands.

But if the same problem occurs time after time despite repeated repairs, wouldn't the company be obligated to replace the watch? Wouldn't lemon law kick in?

Comment

Originally posted by snoop View Post
                              ...So I sent it to the boutique and they merely fixed it back with no charge, even though I was out of warranty. Well, the kicker was other than that, no other polishing or servicing done on it.. I sold the watch shortly after that as I was sooooo disappointed...
                              They definitely will not do anything else apart from fixing back the lose screw and maybe water pressure test...

Servicing/polishing means time and time means money to Richemont...just like any other brands...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X