Pre-owned Rolex Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-owned Rolex Accuracy

I am sure many forum bro and sis here buy pre-owned Rolex right?

I am curious though, what is everyone's personal tolerance for accuracy for such pieces? To be fair I would only use pre owned piece from shops that claim to have services and regulated their stock before placing them for sale as a comparison?

Would you expect the watch to run within manufacturer tolerances of -4s / +6s per day? Or?

What are these dealers' promised accuracy?

depending on age.

however, i am sure it can be regulated to COSC specification.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

To update, I just purchased a 2004 GMT II 16710 from a shop. Sadly the watch ran very fast at +30s per day, despite the shop's claims to have regulated and done a simple service on the movement.

They of course refused to do anything and proceeded to point out that it is stated in their sales invoice (on the back) that their tolerance for used watch accuracy is +/-5 minutes..that's right...MINUTES!!

Not sure if this is common practice with other used Rolex shops?

Comment

Originally posted by Balzebub View Post
        To update, I just purchased a 2004 GMT II 16710 from a shop. Sadly the watch ran very fast at +30s per day, despite the shop's claims to have regulated and done a simple service on the movement.

They of course refused to do anything and proceeded to point out that it is stated in their sales invoice (on the back) that their tolerance for used watch accuracy is +/-5 minutes..that's right...MINUTES!!

Not sure if this is common practice with other used Rolex shops?
        The shop ppl refuse to do anything? To think that u said u just bought it.. they shd at least try to service n keep customers. Sad...
        Care to share which preowned shop? Will never drop by such shop.

Comment

Yes, pls share the name so that people can make a choice and don't buy from that shop.

Comment

i wanted to get it authenticated and bezel changed anyway, so RSC regulated it for me while changing the bezel insert; regulation was FOC, only paid for the bezel insert. Now it is running within COSC spec again, but obviously a service may be due soon.

Just disappointed that the shop claimed to have done a simple oiling/cleaning and regulation when in fact nothing was done.

Comment

Originally posted by Balzebub View Post
              i wanted to get it authenticated and bezel changed anyway, so RSC regulated it for me while changing the bezel insert; regulation was FOC, only paid for the bezel insert. Now it is running within COSC spec again, but obviously a service may be due soon.

Just disappointed that the shop claimed to have done a simple oiling/cleaning and regulation when in fact nothing was done.
              terrible service. you should subtly name the shop here so others will not fall for the same.

Comment

That is my concern too

Actually I have the same concern since I am searching a pre-owned watch for my wife now. For those watches around 10 years, i am afraid that I need to service it after i purchase it and it will cost about 1k+. Now i am aiming 6-9 years one. Any advice on this?

Comment

i prefer to visit those preown shop with in-house technician, alternatively, i will usually ask for proof of accuracy claim by the shop.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Let's just say I bought it from a shop at Bencoolen.

Now that I have dealt with a few shops selling pre-owned watches, my believe is that the better ones will make an effort to make sure the watch runs within manufacturer specs while the bad ones do not care as long as it keeps time. I have zero expectations for vintage watches but do expect a modern era watch to run within official specs.

IMHO i believe most shops will open up the watch to check authenticity of the movement, for damage etc and then touch up the case / bracelet. None or few will do a full-service (even if they have the in house capability), their aim is to make the watch presentable on the outside.

My advise to potential buyers is to request proof of accuracy within manufacturer spec from the shop and also to request them to open up the watch so u can inspect the movement for any obvious signs of corrosion or damage. This will also allow u a chance to check the case back threads and seals for damage, pitting or corrosion. Make sure to also ensure that the watch has not been over polished which some not so good shops will do in an effort to make a watch "shiny and new", also ask if all parts are original and 100% Rolex and read the terms and conditions of in shop warranty very carefully..

Finally, do your homework...research the model you want to buy in order to know what the average market price is, be sure to know what are the distinguishing characteristics of that model to ensure you won't buy a Frankenwatch or over polished piece of junk, do your leg work, visit as many shops as possible to find the model you want that is in the best condition and always bargain..politely of course.

Comment

+30sec is way too inaccurate. My red sub from 1972 runs at +4sec a day. My GMT runs at +<2sec a day. Both my 16610 run at +4. My 1601 runs at +7. 1803 runs at +10. These things have proper work horse movements. Even though you buy them pre owned you should expect a certain level of accuracy in them.

Comment

that must be a flaw.

rolex amaze me with the precision timing. +/-2s

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X