No announcement yet.

How many watches does one really need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many watches does one really need?

Hi to all,

I can't help but to notice that there are so many of you who have so many ROLEXs and the likes. The question that popped up is 'HOW many watches does one really need?"

For me- 1x everyday watch, 1x dressy watch, 1x dream watch (Total= 3 wonderful watches)

Right now... saving for a ROLEX. own a U1 Black Sinn, Tag Heuer Carrera

Any views on the above question?

AK

Hahah.. to some, maybe like you.
    To other groups :
    4 (1 for every week)
    7 (1 for each day of the week)
    31 (for every day of the month)

Guess its a NEED vs WANT issue.
    Need only the bear minimum but for watch collectors or lovers, 1 is never to few and one can never have enough of watches in our collection.. kekkeke

Spend within our own means is the rule of the day....

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
    - GMT II
    - GMT IIc TT
    - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
    - Master Eight Days (1608420)
    - U1
    - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

From a utilitarian point of view, you only need one - waterproof, tells accurate time, basically functional perspective.

In a society driven by accumulation of endless wants, questions pertaining to "How many watches does one really need?" no longer exists. The more watches one purchases, the desired levels of satisfaction go up, it's a vicious cycle.

Just like how many cars does one need? Many would think that 1 would suffice. Those who can afford to splurge will think otherwise.

Diffferent strokes for different folks...it all depends on your financial capabilities in the accumulation of wealth and materialistic progressions.

How many more Prada or LV stores do we need on Orchard Road with such close proximities? It's all about the Eyeball these days.....Show and Tell, Tell and Flaunt.....It's all an Exhibition on our own created Centrestages...

Comment

this watch collecting/hoarding/buy+sell habit took me quite a long time to break. i used to own a heap of wrist watches, and because i'm starting a family in singapore, i had to sell almost all of them and stop buying new ones.

now i limit myself to 4 at any one time:

1 x singapore beater
        1 x overseas beater
        1 x quartz eco-drive
        1 x special occassion

i wear a vintage DJ in safe asian cities like singapore. in safer western cities i wear a vintage omega because it's more appropriate.

both are quite water proof and i no longer own dive watches because i have a PDC for my dive trips.

when i go to more high risk cities/places i'm not familiar with, i wear my citizen quartz which is cheap.

for dressy occasions i wear a DD; this is not often because it's kept in a faraway bedok safe deposit box.

eventually i plan to sell 2 more watches (coz my travelling days will end by year end), but i don't think i can ever live with only one watch!
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by AK™ View Post
          From a utilitarian point of view, you only need one - waterproof, tells accurate time, basically functional perspective.

In a society driven by accumulation of endless wants, questions pertaining to "How many watches does one really need?" no longer exists. The more watches one purchases, the desired levels of satisfaction go up, it's a vicious cycle.

Just like how many cars does one need? Many would think that 1 would suffice. Those who can afford to splurge will think otherwise.

Diffferent strokes for different folks...it all depends on your financial capabilities in the accumulation of wealth and materialistic progressions.

How many more Prada or LV stores do we need on Orchard Road with such close proximities? It's all about the Eyeball these days.....Show and Tell, Tell and Flaunt.....It's all an Exhibition on our own created Centrestages...
          I think this is well said. Need: it is only one. Want: "the sky's the limit". Personally, I feel that 2-3 pieces is adequately sufficient.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

For me, about 10. That's becos I backside itchy and went to buy a watch case that holds 10 watches. Then i realized I have this great need to fill up every slot haha.

Comment

IMHO- - -

Need - 1 good watch

Want - As many as possible...

The "last" one is never the "last"...
              相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Originally posted by AK28 View Post
                Hi to all,

I can't help but to notice that there are so many of you who have so many ROLEXs and the likes. The question that popped up is 'HOW many watches does one really need?"

For me- 1x everyday watch, 1x dressy watch, 1x dream watch (Total= 3 wonderful watches)

Right now... saving for a ROLEX. own a U1 Black Sinn, Tag Heuer Carrera

Any views on the above question?

AK
                For me, the more the better, if i've spare cash $$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by wean_sg View Post
                  For me, about 10. That's becos I backside itchy and went to buy a watch case that holds 10 watches. Then i realized I have this great need to fill up every slot haha.

Thanks for sharing this with me... so funny. Cheers,

AK

Comment

Originally posted by wean_sg View Post
                    went to buy a watch case that holds 10 watches
                    a 'deadly' mistake

Comment

I supposed that would be about 4 pieces:

(i) 1 x daily office watch
                      (ii) 1 x weekend / fri watch
                      (iii) 1 x sports watch
                      (iv) 1 x dress watch
                      运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

One daily watch...any brand up to 1k.

One dressy Rolex for dinner and one professional Rolex for sport.....up to 12k each.

Comment

For me,
                          One for special occasion: day-date (gold)
                          One for daily wear: sub with date
                          One for travel: gmt II

Comment

For me:

One daily beater mainly for work.

4-5 other variations to rotate.

I try to keep number low. Less cost, less service fee.
                            So once i get one, will let go one.

Always miss the one gone, but too costly for me to keep many.
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Not more than 10.

Some psuedo sport / weekend watch
                              Some classy / dress watch
                              Some unique fun watch
                              1 or 2 Quartz watch for really wearing for sports (tennis/running/golf)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X