Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How you decided to part with the money to get a rolex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How you decided to part with the money to get a rolex?

Hi,

New to this forum. Had been thinking of getting a rolex since started working but never get to do it as kept thinking of how many practical things i can buy with that money... However, i have been walking in and out rolex stores lately and set my eyes on a half pink gold, black pearl with diamonds ladies watch.... haiz.. i was thinking of just get it and treat it as a little treat for myself for these 12 years of working life.. moreover I'm having my 2nd child.. so alittle luxury wont hurt right..

However, I started to think again i could have bought a new fridge and stove for my mum which she had used for many years and very worn out and still have much left .. the watch alone would have cost me more than $12k!!! How can I do such things..

Dilemma.. My seiko watch, which my hubby brought me before we got married 5 years ago, cost only $200++ and still serve me very well. It's automatic so i dun even have to change the battery. Drop many times and the time still runs. Why do i want a watch that cost almost 60 times over my current seiko and needs servicing every 4-5 years costing $400 to $500 just for the servicing!!!

Or should i just get a omega??

For those not really rich type, how did you convince yourself to get a rolex??

Originally posted by Lucida View Post
    Hi,

New to this forum. Had been thinking of getting a rolex since started working but never get to do it as kept thinking of how many practical things i can buy with that money... However, i have been walking in and out rolex stores lately and set my eyes on a half pink gold, black pearl with diamonds ladies watch.... haiz.. i was thinking of just get it and treat it as a little treat for myself for these 12 years of working life.. moreover I'm having my 2nd child.. so alittle luxury wont hurt right..

However, I started to think again i could have bought a new fridge and stove for my mum which she had used for many years and very worn out and still have much left .. the watch alone would have cost me more than $12k!!! How can I do such things..

Dilemma.. My seiko watch, which my hubby brought me before we got married 5 years ago, cost only $200++ and still serve me very well. It's automatic so i dun even have to change the battery. Drop many times and the time still runs. Why do i want a watch that cost almost 60 times over my current seiko and needs servicing every 4-5 years costing $400 to $500 just for the servicing!!!

Trust me...follow this forum for 1 week...you will be posting pics of your new Rolex within 2 weeks...

Hehe...cannot go wrong with this I tell ya!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Hi Lucida,

Firstly, congratz on yr 2nd child. Truely, it is unbelievable that anyone in their right mind will actually part with thousands of dollars for just a watch. Functionally, a watch is still a watch. It can only do so much, ie to tell you the time and date generally. So why spend?

Spend more time reading this forum and you will understand better. And seriously, I still can't bear to spend that kinda' money to buy a watch. So, it's nothing new.

Happy reading.
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

im not going to convince you to buy a rolex currently.

first - u expecting your second child.
        second - your mum's fridge and stove if it is in need of replacement, then it is priority.

a rolex will cost you several thousands. you have to think about opportunity costs.

since you willing to spend 12k, why not take 6k and put inside the bank for ur child and gov contribute another 6k. however, im not saying that then u take out 12k to buy watch hor. im asking you to invest in your child future. believe me, investing in your kid has better returns than a watch.

i do understand that you want to reward yourself. but is it the right time to reward yourself?
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

You can have your rolex watch for much less if you do not mind a pre-owned piece.

Yes, buying it from a Rolex store or authorized dealer is a very sensual experience, but you can save thousands by going through the second hand route. After getting your pre-owned watch, you can send it in to Rolex centre at Tong building and they will refurbish your watch to like-new condition for a few hundred dollars.

Comment

Lucida: My advice for you is to save the money for your family needs.

I have seen close friends bought expensive watches and costed them argufies within their households.

Why don't you spend some money on your family or parents before buying a expensive watch. In this way, there will be less caustic remarks said.

Comment

From the way you phrased it, it seems you have saved 12K extra for 12 working years of your life. Apart from the daily necessities that is.

I would recommend you forget the watch, go for your needs especially your second child is coming. The amount of money needed for the kids is much, set your priorities. The watch can come later, the baby can't wait.

Btw, forget the omega also.

Comment

Buying a rolex

Hi Lucida,

It's good that you are aspiring for a rolex, I'm sure you'll eventually own one some day down the road. In fact, I read somewhere (could be this forum or another) that Rolex, since it's earliest years, have marketed itself to be a watch that you'll have to "work hard for". It was not meant for the average Joe, and was priced accordingly so that it will not be reachable for the masses. To this day, I think it's philosophy still retains, with the average rolex costing 5-7K and the popular ones from 9 - 15K. Hence, it's always a great occasion when you proudly wear your rolex on your wrist for the first time. Yes, there will always be bills to pay but do strive for that day when you will own one. An Omega is a good stepping stone - alot of women, including my spouse moved from an Omega to Rolex only recently. And we worked hard for it! Setting a high aspiration (such as owning a Rolex, Patek, Car etc) can sometimes help us drive us to work harder and not give up easily. But of course, some perceive that as being materialistic but I call it rewarding yourself, especially when you have really work hard for it. Good luck and hope you'll own a rolex some day.

Comment

My advice is to buy to fridge and stove for your mum.. Just take care of the basics first. I don't think these items will set you back more than 2K

Not having your first Rolex yet is a mental hurdle. Once you have crossed that, you will be adding on to your collection. It's a dreadful but delightful
                  disease.

Your first Rolex is always be special, just like one's first love. So choose
                  carefully.

Comment

My advice is, know your priorities first. I think no one should be telling you to put your family first instead of yourself, and vice versa. Reason being, you will def feel 'uncomfortable' if you were to follow advice of others when it comes to such personal decisions.

You need to ask yourself truly which means more to you and make your own choice. That IMO, will give you more satisfaction and you will feel less regret in the future.

What I mean is if you feel your family means a lot more, and hence, decide to save your money for your child, then at least this is from yourself and you will be more able to stick to such decisions. If you don feel and don believe in this, and you only save for your child cos someone else tells you to, then it will not change anything cos you will have a constant nagging feeling and might even be a bit resentful (in very bad cases).

Ifs ok to indulge in luxures from time to time but most imp, ask yourself which will give you more satisfaction cos I have to admit, either way, you have to make a sacrifice unless you are getting the same pay as some of the top people in Singapore
                    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Hi,

The advice that the other forum members gave are valuable.

I am going to answer your question.

How did I convince myself to get a Rolex? Or maybe how did I start watch collecting?

Actually, in the past, I don't wear watches. I gave myself a reason that I do not like the feeling of something on my wrist that gives a weight. It felt like a handcuff, freedom-less.

I am quite particular about my personal wardrobe, my shoes, my shirt, jeans, pants. Not to mention, very brand conscience.

I was influence by a friend telling me that there is this 'hype' about ToyWatch because of Oprah Winfrey in the states and there are alot of local celeb trying there best to get hold of the timepieces. They can be bought from the states. As I am heading to Vegas that month, I bought a few of them. 2 for myself, a few more for my colleagues. They looked stunning!

I started wearing them, showing off to my other friends. One of them commented "Quartz"?? No use la.. if you want to, invest in a Rolex. To me, at that point of time Rolex = Uncle.

I bumped into a poster of Brad Pitt wearing a Tag Heuer Carrera. Called up many dealers for the pricing and finally got my first mechanical watch from the Airport with a special discount. That cost me <$3000 My first expensive purchase. Even more than my latest LV tote.

When I was searching reviews about the Tag, I came upon sg-roc. It is indeed poisonous. I realized Rolex does not mean old or uncle.

My first Rolex was a Submariner No Date (because it was cheap). I got it from a pre-owned shop at 4K and got it using my credit card.

I went home. Feeling painful again that I spend that much.... Although I was happy with the watch, I kept on thinking about the money. I later called my bank to change my transaction to a 12 months installment and paid an interest.

Looking back, I still do not understand why did I spend on the interest when I am already feeling the pinch. Haha.

There is no reason why or how a middle paid salaried staff would want to part the money for a Rolex.

But then again, spend within the limits and within our means is what I learnt in the past few years.

Comment

Hi,
                        Good for you to consider buying the frdge and stove for your mum.
                        The decision to get a Rolex (Omega, Panerai or any other branded watch) cannot be justified from a costs basis. If you think about it, any watch is now realy redundant, given that everyone's got a HP.
                        For me, every month's pay, I pay off my bills/ obligations first, set aside S$X for savings/rainy day and I've S$Y allowance per month. Any of the S$Y allowance I do not use up, I roll over and I use the accumulated monies for my hobbies (watches, diving etc).
                        Hope this helps!

Ender
                        "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                        three times is enemy action and
                        over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                        ."

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                          For me, every month's pay, I pay off my bills/ obligations first, set aside S$X for savings/rainy day and I've S$Y allowance per month. Any of the S$Y allowance I do not use up, I roll over and I use the accumulated monies for my hobbies (watches, diving etc).
                          Hope this helps!

Ender
                          i have to agree with your method of saving only i lack $X & $Y to start with in the first place
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Personally, I would skip the Rolex especially since a second child is on the way ...
                            运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                              Trust me...follow this forum for 1 week...you will be posting pics of your new Rolex within 2 weeks...

Hehe...cannot go wrong with this I tell ya!
                              Yes, I am one of them got posion, dont know why - agreed above statement
                              past collection
                              Omega 3510.61,3520.50,3510.53,3510.50,3511.50,3513.50,35 21.30
                              Rolex 1500,1601,1675,1680,5513,6426,6694,14060M,16234, 16523,16013,16570,16600,16613,16713,16800,16520,11 6523,116660,16610,16610lv

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X