Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advise

hi, greeting to all.

I loved rolex since i was a teenager, now i felt its time for me to own a piece of my own.

i'm eyeing for a half gold, probably boy/mid size.
    nothing specific to look for.

kindly give me some advise or benchmarking on how much am i willing to part.

a preowned piece will do fine.

how can i actually tells the year of manufactured? the earlier the better, or vice versa?

boy/mid size got no value compared to the norm size?

please enlighten

not sure if this is a good deal, but i'm looking for something closed to this piece:
    http://sg.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i::223268916
    Time is the essence of man

first of all, a warm welcome.

there is a sticky thread on pre-owned rolex in FAQ. do read the thread. there are some information about those pre-owned rolex shops.

check out their websites and see if there is a piece of your choice.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

below information is used as a guide to see which alphabet is tied to which year

R - 1987
      L - 1988
      E - 1990
      X - 1991
      N - 1991 (Nov)
      C - 1992
      S - 1993
      W - 1994
      T - 1996
      U - 1997 (Aug)
      A - 1998 (Nov)
      P - 2000 (Jan)
      K - 2001 (Sep)
      Y - 2002 (Sep)
      F - 2003 (Sep)
      D - 2005 (Apr)
      Z - 2006 (May)
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
      2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

the older aka manufacturer earlier would be the watch is one year closer to being a vintage.

however, if the watch is not serviced regularly then .......

price is dependent on demand and supply. so pricing will vary

kindly email with
        2. your nick

Comment

thank you for the prompt reply.

i believe the alphabet stated of the seria will tells the year of manufactured.

i don't think you can tell it by the model or looking at the link?

what will be the benchmark i should be looking at in terms of dollar?

yeah, i paid a visit to the FAQ section, mainly are online shops and auction sites. my perception is it would be much better to deal directly with owner instead of the dealers in terms of monetary figures.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt_629 View Post
            thank you for the prompt reply.

i believe the alphabet stated of the seria will tells the year of manufactured.

i don't think you can tell it by the model or looking at the link?

what will be the benchmark i should be looking at in terms of dollar?

yeah, i paid a visit to the FAQ section, mainly are online shops and auction sites. my perception is it would be much better to deal directly with owner instead of the dealers in terms of monetary figures.
            yes. that is what i posted alphabet to year.

think by looking @ the watch, u can tell the model provided it has not gone under fl. there is a salesperson @ HG NAC who can tell u the model *almost 99% accuracy* by description of the bezel, face, case.

i would not be able to advise u on the benchmark. maybe others can.

wish you luck in buying a buyer here.

kindly email with
            2. your nick

Comment

hey, thank you so much.

pardon me for saying this, maybe you can enlighten me in advising on

the boy/mid sizes?
              will it be less valuable compared to the norm sizes?

and i don't understand what you mean by the older aka manufacturer earlier would be the watch is one year closer to being a vintage.

can be more specific?

pardon me, i'm a noob in this area

Comment

are you looking @ flipping or keeping? or keep and if the price is right @ a later stage u sell?

say 1960 is a vintage year for a particular model. if u get a 1980 watch compared to a 1990 watch, it is a year closer to vintage. hope i clarified this point.

kindly email with
                2. your nick

Comment

Originally posted by kurt_629 View Post
                  hey, thank you so much.

pardon me for saying this, maybe you can enlighten me in advising on

the boy/mid sizes?
                  will it be less valuable compared to the norm sizes?

and i don't understand what you mean by the older aka manufacturer earlier would be the watch is one year closer to being a vintage.

can be more specific?

pardon me, i'm a noob in this area
                  Why is it less valuable is because it's not as popular as the normal sized ones.

Goes back down to supply and demand....

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                    are you looking @ flipping or keeping? or keep and if the price is right @ a later stage u sell?

say 1960 is a vintage year for a particular model. if u get a 1980 watch compared to a 1990 watch, it is a year closer to vintage. hope i clarified this point.
                    Sometime vintage also no use. I brought my grandfather's DJ which is about 40 yrs old to go check price...then they say it's worth only $1000+ coz the model still available in the market. Sian..

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                      Sometime vintage also no use. I brought my grandfather's DJ which is about 40 yrs old to go check price...then they say it's worth only $1000+ coz the model still available in the market. Sian..
                      then means not vintage yet lor. hehe

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

Comment

NO la...another 10 yrs time also no use...coz still in production.

Comment

... i don't think age alone is a determinent?

I think minor variations , sometimes limited production or editions also play a part?

A friend of mine who collects rolex (has comex 5514 and Space-dweller) advised me not to buy vintage pieces older than about 1960. Firstly, parts are hard to find. Secondly ... esp. if handwound... probably not as collectible.

so yes, down to supply and demand.

Look at the rolex milgauss. For many years no one wanted it - had to be severely discounted. Today, every other person wants it. Prices have gone up more than 10x.

Bottomline? Buy what you like... pay a fair price. Enjoy it... so that if it never becomes collectible, you still like what you have.
                          Last edited by keltzar; 14-08-07, 11:59 PM.

Comment

wow, many replies.
                            thank you.

i'm keeping this masterpiece of mine for good, don't think i will ever sell it away.

once again, thank you for the defination of age and manufactured, i got your pointers.

the reason why i ask about boy/mid compared to the norm sizes, was because the shop dealer told me the worth of the norm sizes were much significant compared to the boy/mid. once again, i believe its subjects to supply and demand.

can anyone advise me on the benchmark for me to do a gauge when sourcing for such piece?

is 2.8k considered reasonable for a boy size, half gold? good condition.

Comment

If you can bargain down to 2.5...then that should be ok.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X