X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i must decide by tmr...please advise

crossroad decision...

owned a 20 year old Sea Dweller.

am offered a trade up to a 2007 Z series Black SS Sub Date with chapter ring, something I really like and the cyclops, of course.

my concerns...

- will the SD continue to function well
    - SD appears small compared to Subby
    - SD's bracelet is loose, probably also due for servicing
    - Trilium markers are not visible at night, though its turning creamy

I know the SD will become a collectors item.
    But i find it resembling the Sub ND which I do not favour.

If I could, I wish to keep the SD but with limited finances, should I upgrade to the SS Sub Date for a thousand plus? and avoid a major servicing which will likely cost $800 plus at RSC?

Please advise as I need to give seller an answer tmr.

For me i wont sell a watch that is with me for 20yrs. I can avoid the high service cost by going to 3rd party watchmaker like watchkinik or Top Hour. And i also see that u already have sub LV, there is no need to add a sub date!! u can just go look ard to buy the black sub insert, change it when the color feel bored to u... This way u save $ at servicing n buying a new watch... Cheers
    Current:
    No More Liao...

Comment

keep the SD, been with you for 20 years lao!!!!!

Comment

Keep your 20 years old companion.

Get it serviced, $800 for the next 5 or 8 years, means each year will cost you you less than $200.

For me, the only watch that i will not trade, sell will be my 13 years old GMT.
        My Small Collection :
        GMT II 16710 Coke U series
        JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
        Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
        Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
        Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
        PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
        BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

No point topping up to trade for it. Servicing not required until it really has problems

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

got to consider sentimental value.

bracelet and servicing will not be cheap.

if case condition good and its tritium = more collectable.

super luminova don't really shine bright for very long anyway.

really need to read time in the dark buy a Ball or Casio.
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Keep it! U wont regret.. But be prepared to part with at least 1.5k for complete overhaul should the need arises..

Comment

I would keep the Dweller, my friend...

Make the right decision.

Cheers!
                [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for all your advice...

Perhaps I should have clarified that the SD wasn't in my possession for 20 years. At age 18, if memory serves me right, I was wearing a now vintage blue TAG HEUER Formula one with rubber strap. And it got stolen from camp.

In any case, there aren't any real sentimental values for the SD. But from all your postings, I can tell many if not, all of you, are real sentimental beings.

If it's been with me for 20 years, I too, would not trade. So the question now is whether to spend on servicing the SD or get a newer watch.

Now wondering if all your responses would still be the same?

Comment

You are either a vintage (watch) collector/admirer, or not. So it is not difficult to make a decision. I am not, so I will go for the newer watch. Of course those who are into vintage may advise you otherwise.

So, good luck!

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I agree with most of the forumers. You should keep it, whether for the sake of 20 yrs or values. I presume your SD must have reached a good value after 20 yrs, if you do maintain it well. Do send the watch for maintenance. It's still cheaper to get a new piece. Moreover, if you continue to keep it, the value may go up in future, since SD is already discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                        You are either a vintage (watch) collector/admirer, or not. So it is not difficult to make a decision. I am not, so I will go for the newer watch. Of course those who are into vintage may advise you otherwise.

So, good luck!

I will go for newer watch too

Comment

Keep the SD.
                          Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Originally posted by coopster9 View Post
                            Thanks for all your advice...

Perhaps I should have clarified that the SD wasn't in my possession for 20 years. At age 18, if memory serves me right, I was wearing a now vintage blue TAG HEUER Formula one with rubber strap. And it got stolen from camp.

In any case, there aren't any real sentimental values for the SD. But from all your postings, I can tell many if not, all of you, are real sentimental beings.

If it's been with me for 20 years, I too, would not trade. So the question now is whether to spend on servicing the SD or get a newer watch.

Now wondering if all your responses would still be the same?
                            Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
                            I agree with most of the forumers. You should keep it, whether for the sake of 20 yrs or values. I presume your SD must have reached a good value after 20 yrs, if you do maintain it well. Do send the watch for maintenance. It's still cheaper to get a new piece. Moreover, if you continue to keep it, the value may go up in future, since SD is already discontinued.
                            Originally posted by zidaneong View Post
                            Keep the SD.
                            If I didn't read wrongly, TS corrected that he did not own the SD, but choosing to get either the 20-yrs-old SD or to get the newer Submariner. So it is about buying an old vintage watch vs a new modern watch.

Cheers!
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by coopster9 View Post
                              crossroad decision...

owned a 20 year old Sea Dweller.

am offered a trade up to a 2007 Z series Black SS Sub Date with chapter ring, something I really like and the cyclops, of course.

my concerns...

- will the SD continue to function well
                              - SD appears small compared to Subby
                              - SD's bracelet is loose, probably also due for servicing
                              - Trilium markers are not visible at night, though its turning creamy

I know the SD will become a collectors item.
                              But i find it resembling the Sub ND which I do not favour.

If I could, I wish to keep the SD but with limited finances, should I upgrade to the SS Sub Date for a thousand plus? and avoid a major servicing which will likely cost $800 plus at RSC?

Please advise as I need to give seller an answer tmr.
                              bro, can pm me how much you are letting go your vintage SD...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X