Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verification /Authentication at Rolex Service Centre

http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=3069

Since the above-mentioned thread started, it seriously got me thinking on how a rollie technician actually verifies the authenticity of a rollie. I know very little abt rollies compard to other senior bros with a well of knowledge and equally deep pockets.

It's not the $75/- that I'm referring to but the authenticity of the 220 components that make up a rollie. A verification process would take 30minutes at the very most so my query is how would a technician verify that a genuine rolex is made up of genuine parts? What if a certain component has been swapped? There are after all 220 components.

I have just skyped with ex-army buddy currently working in an asian country with a huge population (dun mention name of country cos may cause offense). He told me that some of the A-grade fakes in that particular country are so close to the real thing that even some of the technicians encountered difficulty in ascertaining the authenticity of the movement. That being said, an A grade can cost up to 1.5 to 2k.

In view of the above-mentioned, does any brudders have any idea how the rsc technician ascertain the authenticity of a rollie? Are there pictures that they may use for reference? I know for sure that they won't strip and assemble dutring verification. I kinda think it's more of experience and obviously visual. If that's the case, think shops selling 2nd hand watches can also do verification and earn some extra income.

What do you guys think of the verification process in RSC? Go through motion or really got check? If got check, how can they be cocksure that every single component comes from rolex?

Thanks in advance for your inputs on this matter
    Remnants of my irresponsibility:
    "Foreign affections"
    1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
    2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
    3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
    4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
    What's NEXT?

you have a very good point there critical thinking!! It has crossed my mind, but i guess they tell based on taking out the movt and checking external ie. not take it apart to astain that every wheel cog gear is from rolex
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Yep, agree with seiko.citizen. Simply, these technicians (or professionals if you'd like to call it) are trained and 'branded' under ROLEX. So they represent the company/brand. Any ROLEX watch that goes thru' them in terms of servicing/repair, or what not, should be taken as an authentic piece. Due to such complicated built-up of a watch, it is near impossible to verify each component piece-by-piece. I'd feel that a verification may just be a 'glance-thru' on certain parts. However, if anything corks up along the way, for example, some parts found to be fake later after verification, then the company will have to answer. Having said that, they can counter-argue that it is the owner who replaced those parts, since there is a 'window-period'.

Basically, we just have to trust them. Or in other words, trust those sellers whom you are buying your watches from.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

After verification you can ask them to check what is the servicing cost and they will strip it out.
        Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
        Rolex LV submariner
        Rolex TT black submariner
        Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
        Rolex Non date submariner
        Rolex Explorer2
        More...

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post

Since the above-mentioned thread started, it seriously got me thinking on how a rollie technician actually verifies the authenticity of a rollie. I know very little abt rollies compard to other senior bros with a well of knowledge and equally deep pockets.

It's not the $75/- that I'm referring to but the authenticity of the 220 components that make up a rollie. A verification process would take 30minutes at the very most so my query is how would a technician verify that a genuine rolex is made up of genuine parts? What if a certain component has been swapped? There are after all 220 components.

I have just skyped with ex-army buddy currently working in an asian country with a huge population (dun mention name of country cos may cause offense). He told me that some of the A-grade fakes in that particular country are so close to the real thing that even some of the technicians encountered difficulty in ascertaining the authenticity of the movement. That being said, an A grade can cost up to 1.5 to 2k.

In view of the above-mentioned, does any brudders have any idea how the rsc technician ascertain the authenticity of a rollie? Are there pictures that they may use for reference? I know for sure that they won't strip and assemble dutring verification. I kinda think it's more of experience and obviously visual. If that's the case, think shops selling 2nd hand watches can also do verification and earn some extra income.

What do you guys think of the verification process in RSC? Go through motion or really got check? If got check, how can they be cocksure that every single component comes from rolex?

Technically speaking that cosrt of vericication is very costly and should be carried out only if you have very high concerns for the the authenticity of the watch.
          ie: very costly vintage models like the paul newman daytona and so on..
          SRC is bad dealer !

Comment

the verification process does take roughly 20-30minutes....

well... what i've seen the tech do:

1. remove the bracelet from the case and check the bracelet and clasp.

2. open the case.... and check the movement.... they do not take out the movement.....

3. check the dial via the eyeglass

so i reckon that there must be certain types of things that they have been trained to look out for...
            Rolex GMT Master 1675 16750 16760 16700
            Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
            Submariner 16610LV 16613
            Patek Aquanaut 5165A

Comment

Originally posted by ricnas1 View Post
              the verification process does take roughly 20-30minutes....

well... what i've seen the tech do:

1. remove the bracelet from the case and check the bracelet and clasp.

2. open the case.... and check the movement.... they do not take out the movement.....

3. check the dial via the eyeglass

so i reckon that there must be certain types of things that they have been trained to look out for...
              thanks for sharing. good info for me.
              Remnants of my irresponsibility:
              "Foreign affections"
              1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
              2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
              3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
              4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
              What's NEXT?

Comment

To answer your question, I believed RSC has a standard guideline on checking the authenticity of a watch's components. Once they find one of the many many parts is questionable, they will stop the checking process or they will look carefully into it. Since you said there are 200+ parts in a Rolex, I believe it will quite easy to spot any parts are after-market or counterfeith as they are looking at the "same" movements everyday...

Moreover, you mentioned an A grade can cost up to 1.5 to 2k, I think it is rare for someone to buy it... (I rather get a real second-hand watch for that price) and hence rare for such A grade watch appear at RSC. As said before, even these A grade watch appear at RSC, I think it is not possible for ALL the parts of the A grade watch to made the same as the orginal ones...

He told me that some of the A-grade fakes in that particular country are so close to the real thing that even some of the technicians encountered difficulty in ascertaining the authenticity of the movement. That being said, an A grade can cost up to 1.5 to 2k.

Comment

I'm sure some bros here have verified their Rols before ... can anyone attach a picture on how the authenticity certification/form looks like?

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
                    I'm sure some bros here have verified their Rols before ... can anyone attach a picture on how the authenticity certification/form looks like?

Thanks!!
                    There is NO authenticity certification/form instead they just provides you an invoice and this invoice is to tells the watch is authentic. Otherwise they won't issue invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                      To answer your question, I believed RSC has a standard guideline on checking the authenticity of a watch's components. Once they find one of the many many parts is questionable, they will stop the checking process or they will look carefully into it. Since you said there are 200+ parts in a Rolex, I believe it will quite easy to spot any parts are after-market or counterfeith as they are looking at the "same" movements everyday...

Moreover, you mentioned an A grade can cost up to 1.5 to 2k, I think it is rare for someone to buy it... (I rather get a real second-hand watch for that price) and hence rare for such A grade watch appear at RSC. As said before, even these A grade watch appear at RSC, I think it is not possible for ALL the parts of the A grade watch to made the same as the orginal ones...
                      Agreed.

In my PERSONAL of view, if I am a watch technician, I will verify the watch by it weight first. By removing the bracelet and weight the watch.

I doubt an A-grade fake folex could follows exactly all the parts weight.

Comment

I totally love this question...but I am going out now. I am halfway drafting a super long post that gives you every single detail,myths and facts which should be answered. Give me alittle time and let me answer your question and everyone else's.

Thank you.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                          I totally love this question...but I am going out now. I am halfway drafting a super long post that gives you every single detail,myths and facts which should be answered. Give me alittle time and let me answer your question and everyone else's.

Thank you.
                          Quick..!
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Can't wait to hear from you, Darkangel

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

Thank you.

Comment

I strongly believe someone here is a former Rolex technician..
                              Maybe he can advise us about this query we're discussing..
                              Wat a Rolex technician normally look out for during each verification process?
                              [B][I]There's no jewels or gems to compliment a man..
                              Only a perfect timepiece that should be worn on his wrist.. [/I][/B]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X