Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date adjustment for GMT2?How to?

Dear Folks,

Just to check if to adjust date for GMT2,is it by turning the hour hand in order to do it?

And is it normal for the 24hrs hand to "tremble" abit every turn the hour hand rotates?And if the date jumps a few seconds after 12 and not at 12 sharp,accuracy is there?

Sorry for the damn green horn questions as i am really a noobies in watches,

Hope to shed some light!

Cheers!

Hi Speedmaster1979,

As there is no more quick-set (QS) date adjustment for the newer GMT II models (16710-116710), the 'semi' QS date is thru' the hour hand. It works the same in the Explorer II (16570).

For the 24-hr red/green hand to 'tremble' is normal in a ROLEX GMT II. It is known as "wiggle". Some people uses this wiggling of the 24-hr hand to determine an old movement in the said model. It has been widely speculated that if the 24-hr hand wiggles when the hour hand rotates, it is a (older) 3185 movement. Otherwise, it is a (new) 3186 movement. Read here for more information.

And it is also normal for the date to 'jump' slightly before & after 12 o'clock midnight.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      Hi Speedmaster1979,

As there is no more quick-set (QS) date adjustment for the newer GMT II models (16710-116710), the 'semi' QS date is thru' the hour hand. It works the same in the Explorer II (16570).

For the 24-hr red/green hand to 'tremble' is normal in a ROLEX GMT II. It is known as "wiggle". Some people uses this wiggling of the 24-hr hand to determine an old movement in the said model. It has been widely speculated that if the 24-hr hand wiggles when the hour hand rotates, it is a (older) 3185 movement. Otherwise, it is a (new) 3186 movement. Read here for more information.

And it is also normal for the date to 'jump' slightly before & after 12 o'clock midnight.
      Hi bro Oceanklassik,

Thank you for the first to response once again! In fact, i forgot the instruction that my SE gave me so took out the manual to elf understand but still cannot understand..............so need a layman explanation,paiseh!!!

So which means,the date have to turn the hour hand?I recalled my SE told me that for every watch, advice is before setting the date,you have to adjust the watch by knowing if it is AM or PM,set the time to 4.30 be it AM or PM before adjusting the date.This is to prevent the date of the watch from being spoilt.(Happens to my previous Omega,dial can turn but date fail to flip)

About the wiggle,it is not the green needle of my GMT2 that trembles but the long hand so is it common?To me, it looks very cheapo and loose mechanism when it wiggles(Machiam fake Rolex like that).Do you think I should go the RSC for a check?I bought it brand new last year May so it is still under warranty, any charges for a check?

Lastly for the movement,does it means that my SE gave me a brand new old stock of the GMT2 TT which I bought just last year May but he gave me a maybe 2009 stock?(For example)

Thanks for the enlightenment,bro!!!

Comment

As a general rule on adjusting the date in an automatic (movement) watch, it is best to not quick-adjust it when the time on the watch is between 9pm & 2am. Or some say 8pm-2am, 9pm-3am, as long as it's around that region. However, it was informed at various media forms (watch magazines, videos, Internet forums, etc) that this 'general rule' need not be applied on ROLEX watches because you can quick-adjust the date of an automatic ROLEX watch anytime. I remember having read that on few occasions.

But to err on the side of caution, you can still apply the general rule as mentioned above. I believe different people have different ways/habits in adjusting the date and time of their watches. I, for one, will prefer to adjust the time on the watch to 6 o'clock, whether it's am/pm. Thereafter, I will quick-adjust the date to one day before and start turning the clock to current date and time.

In your watch's hour hand 'trembling' case, it does sound a little weird and it is better to get it checked at the RSC. Since your's is the new GMT Master-II model (ceramic bezel), the green hand should not 'tremble'. The movement in your watch should be the 3186 ROLEX movement, whether it is a 2009 piece or current.

Go get it checked and let us know.

Tx.
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
          As a general rule on adjusting the date in an automatic (movement) watch, it is best to not quick-adjust it when the time on the watch is between 9pm & 2am. Or some say 8pm-2am, 9pm-3am, as long as it's around that region. However, it was informed at various media forms (watch magazines, videos, Internet forums, etc) that this 'general rule' need not be applied on ROLEX watches because you can quick-adjust the date of an automatic ROLEX watch anytime. I remember having read that on few occasions.

But to err on the side of caution, you can still apply the general rule as mentioned above. I believe different people have different ways/habits in adjusting the date and time of their watches. I, for one, will prefer to adjust the time on the watch to 6 o'clock, whether it's am/pm. Thereafter, I will quick-adjust the date to one day before and start turning the clock to current date and time.

In your watch's hour hand 'trembling' case, it does sound a little weird and it is better to get it checked at the RSC. Since your's is the new GMT Master-II model (ceramic bezel), the green hand should not 'tremble'. The movement in your watch should be the 3186 ROLEX movement, whether it is a 2009 piece or current.

Go get it checked and let us know.

Tx.
          Hi bro,after hearing your advise,I will also try your method of adjusting to 6pm/am then set up the date a day advance before turning the last round to correct the exact date.

As the wriggle of the hand,it's NOT the green hand that wriggles but the mins long hand that wriggles,sounds normal?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X