buying rolex without certs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying rolex without certs.

Was wondering if there are any disadvantage of buying prenowned watches w/o certs?like resale value etc. Pls advise

Well when you buy w/o cert it's cheaper,when you sell price is reflected accordingly.

While it's not totally undesirable to buy one w/o cert, there are still buyers

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

You mean ttpcom cert can cause a few k difference in price Bro?

Comment

My explanation is simple. The cert completes the set. A complete set is more worth than an incomplete set. Moreover, the cert acts as a proof, though it's an usual practice to send the watch for verification. If you intend to sell in future, the complete set will surely fetch a better price.

Originally posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
        Was wondering if there are any disadvantage of buying prenowned watches w/o certs?like resale value etc. Pls advise

Comment

For the benefit of new collectors, the cert referred to here is actually the 1 year guarantee /warranty paper issued by Rolex to buyers when they first purchase the watch. its note a "certificate of authenticity".

For me personally when buying a pre-own watch it comes down to 3 factors.... 1st is Condition ,2nd is Price and 3rd whether it comes with Cert.

Reason is because if condition of watch is no good, I wont even bother asking about the price or whether it comes with cert.

For pre-own watches , especially the older models this cert to me only proves the case matches the cert, everything else could have been changed , swapped over the years.

it is better to send the watch for verification if you are a newbie.

Cert or no cert, I will check that all parts match the watch, case, bracelet , dial, movement etc.

If i have to choose between (1)a super nice unpolished watch or (2)another watch with the "1 year guarantee paper that is no longer valid" but with heavily polished case and bracelet, I buy the one without the paper anytime.

Remember ,you are not going to wear the paper round your wrist when you go out, more important is the condition of the watch.

An original watch will always be original,with or without the cert.

A watch with cert does not prove the entire watch iis original.
          My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
          1) WG DIA 18239
          2) YG DIA 18238
          3) WG 18239
          4) YG 18238
          5) YG 18248G Bark
          6) WG DIA 18039
          7) WG 18039
          8) YG 18038
          9) Tridor DIA 18039B
          10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
          11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
          12) WG 1803
          13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
          1)GMT II 116718 18K
          2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
          1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
          2)D15037 14k
          3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Limm View Post
            For the benefit of new collectors, the cert referred to here is actually the 1 year guarantee /warranty paper issued by Rolex to buyers when they first purchase the watch. its note a "certificate of authenticity".

For me personally when buying a pre-own watch it comes down to 3 factors.... 1st is Condition ,2nd is Price and 3rd whether it comes with Cert.

Reason is because if condition of watch is no good, I wont even bother asking about the price or whether it comes with cert.

For pre-own watches , especially the older models this cert to me only proves the case matches the cert, everything else could have been changed , swapped over the years.

it is better to send the watch for verification if you are a newbie.

Cert or no cert, I will check that all parts match the watch, case, bracelet , dial, movement etc.

If i have to choose between (1)a super nice unpolished watch or (2)another watch with the "1 year guarantee paper that is no longer valid" but with heavily polished case and bracelet, I buy the one without the paper anytime.

Remember ,you are not going to wear the paper round your wrist when you go out, more important is the condition of the watch.

Well said!

Comment

new collectors, i rather say new temporary collectors. why? because if you intend to flip your watch, then what is mentioned holds true to a certain extent.

for collectors (some), not only must the watch condition be good. parts are authentic. the paper will add value in time to come (not within 5 years). also some will prefer complete set. for me, my 6694 collection all comes with box and certification. maybe it is just me. but i feel that without box and certification, the watch package is not complete.

in the past, most buyers just keep the watch and throw away the box and cert because they dont mean alot back then. but try finding say a paul newman daytona aka daytona with zenith movement with certification is hard. this is what makes the watch collectible to me because there is possible about ~25k of such watches ever produced. even harder to find is a oysterquartz with paper.

to me, i will always look for a complete package, watch, cert, box. anything less, i am likely to give it a miss unless i really got no choice

Originally posted by Ian Limm View Post

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

same here too.

i go for "completeness". not just for rolex but for my other watches too.

"because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
                http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

Comment

if u are sure u are keeping the watch for good, as long as price is attractive and the watch is verified by RSC, i think it's ok to go ahead without box and papers.

however, if u are not 100% sure, or feel that u may flip the watch in future, it's really better to spend a bit more to get a set with box and papers, cos it
                  is really much easier to resell in future. the popular models appear quite frequently in this forum, so dun need to worry about missing a deal, another will always pop up.

so the 2 rolexes i sold are with complete box and papers, and buyer bought it without going for any verification.
                  elusive

Comment

Wise words everyone. Thanks a lot

Comment

agree.......! the certs are impt for resell... guess thats all.

Comment

Definitely watch without cert have to sell cheaper because you have to compensate the buyer from cost to verify watch at rsc

Comment

just bought a sub from my good fren w/o cert. Told me w/o cert is ok. Now i read this, i can be sure now =)

Comment

you can verify it before buying to ensure though

Comment

Does not affect much with the cert . as every single shop or pre owned shop sell ROLEX .

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X