Need help identifying this Datejust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying this Datejust

Dear all, I recently inherited a datejust from my dad and would like to find out more information about this model before going down to RSC. At the back of the case, there is no sticker or engravement.

There's no paper and box so I would like to know some information like the model, specs, etc.

In general, the watch is a heavy piece, largely due to the bracelet.

A gold dial, with a gold case. I think I remember my dad mentioning that he changed the case previously from a silver to a gold case to make the whole watch a gold piece. Is that possible?

Not very clear, but the rolex sign on the crown.

A 916 is written on the catch. I suppose it means 916 gold for the bracelet. Is this an authentic bracelet?

Here's a close up on the links.

Thanks for the help.

first things first Welcome to sg-roc.
    now lets get on to the finer details.
    1) this piece definitely a transplated piece. the dial is not matching for the case, but never mind, it fits so it is ok.
    2) president bracelet doesnt fit quite right imo, or maybe a loose end link.
    3) somehow the bracelet doesnt seem to have the rolex stamps.... could it be aftermarket with the crown?

In concluding my comments, I'd have to say your watch at best is a frankenstein watch.
    Of course all comments made by me are purely my view point only. Those who are more experienced, please chime in and help this fella out.
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I would agree that this piece is most likely frankened by my dad. Just wanted to know if I were to restore it to its original state, what would I probably have to change and pay for?

Comment

Originally posted by djchris View Post
        I would agree that this piece is most likely frankened by my dad. Just wanted to know if I were to restore it to its original state, what would I probably have to change and pay for?
        well. the bracelet in my opinion will be replaced by RSC... that itself will cost you a bomb.

assuming that the case is correct for the dial (should be), all that needs is an overhaul of the internals and a jubilee bracelet to finish up the job

for that reference the model should be 16238 with the fluted bezel.
        Blue 6694
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

So I guess it should be a silver bracelet instead of gold? How much would this bomb cost?

Comment

the case is gold, the bracelet also gold. to match the model, you can get a YG jubilee bracelet. I remember it used to be called 'super-jubilee' as for price im not sure, but a TT would be in the vacinity of S$3500ish.
            Blue 6694
            [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Dear all, I recently inherited a datejust from my dad and would like to find out more information about this model before going down to RSC. At the back of the case, there is no sticker or engravement.

There's no paper and box so I would like to know some information like the model, specs, etc.

In general, the watch is a heavy piece, largely due to the bracelet.

A gold dial, with a gold case. I think I remember my dad mentioning that he changed the case previously from a silver to a gold case to make the whole watch a gold piece. Is that possible?

Not very clear, but the rolex sign on the crown.

A 916 is written on the catch. I suppose it means 916 gold for the bracelet. Is this an authentic bracelet?

Here's a close up on the links.

Thanks for the help.
              Sorry la but from the pic it looks like a silver case to me ...hehehe. Anyway since u said it's gold ok then. It is possible to change i believe but it's not easy.

The bracelet is aftermarket bark finish bracelet. Firstly all rolex watches are made of 18k gold,not 22k. But from the bracelet can tell straightaway it is aftermarket. Haha...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                first things first Welcome to sg-roc.
                now lets get on to the finer details.
                1) this piece definitely a transplated piece. the dial is not matching for the case, but never mind, it fits so it is ok.
                2) president bracelet doesnt fit quite right imo, or maybe a loose end link.
                3) somehow the bracelet doesnt seem to have the rolex stamps.... could it be aftermarket with the crown?

In concluding my comments, I'd have to say your watch at best is a frankenstein watch.
                Of course all comments made by me are purely my view point only. Those who are more experienced, please chime in and help this fella out.
                I agree with 1,2,and 3. The braclet is aftermarket. and 1 more point is that Rolex bracelets are all 18k only.

It is a franken watch.

well. the bracelet in my opinion will be replaced by RSC... that itself will cost you a bomb.

assuming that the case is correct for the dial (should be), all that needs is an overhaul of the internals and a jubilee bracelet to finish up the job

for that reference the model should be 16238 with the fluted bezel.
                The dial is correct,it would just need a jubilee bracelet that's all.

Reference should not be 16238. This could be a 16013 or 1603 err or there about...16238 is solid yellow gold and it's considered pretty new.

Chris...if u want to know the serial number,take out the bracelet and see the number in between the lugs

the case is gold, the bracelet also gold. to match the model, you can get a YG jubilee bracelet. I remember it used to be called 'super-jubilee' as for price im not sure, but a TT would be in the vacinity of S$3500ish.
                1 problem is that...RSC might not touch the watch if supposedly the case has been changed from SS to gold. that's what I worry. And the super jubilee might not fit into the lugs of this watch. Only the older clasp 1 can

Comment

So is it right to say that first I should bring the watch to RSC for them to tell me what is frankened and get quotes?

Comment

So is it right to say that first I should bring the watch to RSC for them to tell me what is frankened and get quotes?
                    yes you can try RSC. If cost is a real issue for you, you can try independent watchmakers.
                    Blue 6694
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

But 1 word of caution...trying RSC may mean that the bill you are paying is as good as buying a preowned of that model.

Comment

you have been warned.
                        Blue 6694
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Then which independent watchmaker do you guys recommend me to go to first?

Comment

Errr I dunno....hahaha...maybe some bros can help?

Comment

you can try Top Hour in LP. Heard he is ex-rolex technician.
                              Blue 6694
                              [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X