Lady Datejust Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Datejust Questions

I'm currently considering buying my wife a Lady Datejust and I'm currently eyeing 26mm Fluted Bezel Datejust, with Mother Of Pearl Diamond Dial and a Two-Tone Steel Yellow Gold Jubilee bracelet. This my first time buying a Rolex and I'm a little confused and hope you guys can help me out.

Firstly, I can't find this configuration or the model number on the Rolex official website. Can anyone advise on what the model number this watch is? I did some online searching and found the model 179173MDJ on Joma watch. Is this the official Rolex model number?

Secondly, can someone share with me the expected price range for the watch after discount?

Third, how much does it cost to service and how frequently must it be done?

Next, I can't seem to find much technical information for this watch. Any difference between the 26mm models with regards to movement type? I'm guessing no parachrom springs?

In addition, as I'm planning to give this for Christmas, any idea whether Rolex will increase price between now and then?

Lastly, I'm just curious about the depreciation hit on buying brand new. Typically how much for a lady datejust?

Thanks guys.*

The model is indeed 179173
    RRP is USD12650, which is ard SGD16660 & most ADs can offer up to 15% off RRP
    Servicing a DJ model is ard S$800-900 & recommended every 5 yrs
    Parachrom blue hairsprings mostly found on sports & the new Skydweller models
    Rolex most likely will increase prices again come ard Dec 2012
    Some wise guy once said this to me: "Buying a rolex watch is akin to buying insurance. The longer you hold onto it, the better it's value is gonna to be." So, if you're buying it & selling it short-term, you'll lose alot!

Rolex owner since 2010
    Previously owned:
    Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
    GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
    Current collection:
    Datejust 36(116234) V serial
    GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
    Upcoming/Wishlist:
    "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

Thanks for the reply Matty. Looks like if I'm serious on going ahead I better pick it up either later this month or early next month. Any idea what's the movement model?

Now to find a place to hide it for 2 months

Comment

No worries sdchew the movement model shld be 2235 introduced in 1999.
        http://www.bernardwatch.com/Rolex-Mo...s-and-Calibers
        Info for movements models from internet with link above. Cheers!

Rolex owner since 2010
        Previously owned:
        Current collection:
        Upcoming/Wishlist:

Comment

Originally posted by sdchew View Post
          I'm currently considering buying my wife a Lady Datejust and I'm currently eyeing 26mm Fluted Bezel Datejust, with Mother Of Pearl Diamond Dial and a Two-Tone Steel Yellow Gold Jubilee bracelet. This my first time buying a Rolex and I'm a little confused and hope you guys can help me out...
          i don't want to confuse you further, but...

some years ago, i bought a men's size DJ for my sister - she found it just nice but prefers wearing one of my 40mm rolex daily. she wears the DJ (on strap) only for evening dinners these days. she has never owned a rolex before i bought her one.

a few months ago, my mom's 26mm TT lady datejust was sent in for servicing and she didn't want to wear her back up watch (also a lady datejust but very blinged version), so i wanted to buy her a 36mm DJ... i felt it was easier for her to read the time.

my other reason was: if they wanted to sell the watch to buy something else, men's DJ are easier to sell than ladies' DJ.

but my mom, who has worn a 26mm rolex for a over 20 years, could not accept such a big watch (to her). a compromise was found in a mid-size DJ. she now appreciates the fact that it's easier to tell the time and date but feels it's the biggest size she can wear.

if your wife has no preference, i recommend that you try a full-size and mid-size DJ before committing to the 26mm version.

there is a flower dial 36mm DJ that most women i know like looking at. and some special editions. you can find unworn pieces (grey, etc) at some watch shops and on this forum, saving you from the full hit on depreciation but giving you that "brand new" feeling at the same time.

don't worry about servicing for now. it won't come in until 7-10 years down the road if you're a singaporean and are very careful with watches. recommended intervals are 5-7 years when worn more frequently/carelessly.

my mom's datejust has never been serviced since she bought it in the late 80s. only a few months ago the 2135 started running weird. she wears it like it's a casio. quite durable, in my opinion.

FWIW, my wife prefers men's size rolex oysters perpetuals. she only like small/women's size watches when they are slim. oysters are generally not slim.

i believe current lady datejusts still use the improved 2235 (without any "upgrades). it's an awesome enough movement as it is and all the parachrom, etc, upgrades, are really just for marketing. they usually don't make any difference to an average user.
          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Agree with fellow forum members tat nowadays ladies r into "bigger" watches, so why not try out a few models e.g. Sub, Exp, GMT, Yacht master or Daytona? If sports models r not ur cup of tea, then men's datejust 36mm, datejustII 41mm or the top tiers of daydate & daydate2 for the classic/formal dress watch? Most impt, ur wife mus feel comfortable & like the watch, cos she's gonna wear it!

Rolex owner since 2010
            Previously owned:
            Current collection:
            Upcoming/Wishlist:

Comment

Thanks for the additional feedback guys. Actually I can't get my wife to try it as its a surprise gift. One of the reasons why I'm certain my wife won't like a larger watch is because her current watches are all smaller size watches like her Longines Dolce Vita.

She does look at my other watches and has worn my Grand Seiko (35.8mm) and my Seagull 1963 (38mm) before. Both doesn't look too oversized on her wrist.

Hmm, the 31mm mid-size will give me some food for thought. And yes, Taxico has confused me further!

However, you did raise a good point about small watches looking nice when they are slim.

Comment

After reading Taxico's comments, I did some looking around I found that the 178341 is quite nice! Any idea what the price delta between the 26mm model and the 178341 (31mm Lady Datejust, two tone in Everose gold and jubilee strap, MOP dial with diamond VI and 24 diamond bezel?

Comment

Just spent the afternoon at the AD and came back with.... Nothing.

Got even more confused but I did manage to boil down my choices to 3 watches.

First is the original choice. 179173, 26mm Fluted Bezel Datejust, with Mother Of Pearl Diamond Dial and a Two-Tone Steel Yellow Gold Jubilee bracelet. Picture can be found here

The other two are 178344 with jubilee bracelet and the 24 set diamond bezel. The difference is one has the flower motif and the other has a black face with Roman numerals and a diamond IV

I found a nice picture of the flower motif version on this forum here

The other one can be found online here

I find the first choice a very classic, recognizable design. However I do acknowledge Taxico comment about it being small. And I did ask a couple of friends and got the looks 'auntie' comment

The flower motif one looks nice but I'm concern the design isn't 'timeless'. Not to mention when my wife gets older, I wonder whether it won't be so appropriate. She's in the late twenties now and her name is actually a name of a flower. So this watch gels a little with me.

The last one I like due to its simplicity of design and the diamond IV. Really find that a nice touch. The black dial also brings out the diamonds too.

I should also mention that my wife is actually quite casual in dressing and hardly attends any formal functions. I'm hoping this watch can be a daily causal wear watch. Could some folks here share some thoughts and help a confused bro?

Thanks!

Comment

To conclude this thread, I finally pulled the trigger and the funny thing was the final choice was not what I originally set out to buy.

I have to thank Taxico and Matty; Matty gave me very good information on the expected pricing range and Taxico made me take a second, good look at the 31mm mid size Datejust

I made the final decision after visiting quite a number of shops to look at all the different versions and dropped the black dial and floral version from my list. I actually realized that the past few watches I gave my wife all had white dials and somehow I lucked out by discovering she actually likes light colour dials. As for the floral dial, I actually grew tired of looking at it after sometime and I didn't like the grey on grey look after a while. Thus, I decided to go for a more classic look.

I finally sat down at THG and asked my contact to show me both the 26mm TT (179173) I chose earlier and a 31mm SS Lady Datejust with 24 diamond dispersed dial and MOP dial (178344). After about an hour of handling both watches, I decided to pull the trigger on the 178344. Its modern, classy look really appealed to me. However, I noticed that the MOP dials have a lot of variations and I had to look at a number watches before I chose one with the right tone, texture and colour.

Share some pics with you guys, I really like the fact the MOP dial looks different in different light...

Daytime shot

Nightime shot

Comment

Originally posted by sdchew View Post
                      To conclude this thread, I finally pulled the trigger and the funny thing was the final choice was not what I originally set out to buy.

I have to thank Taxico and Matty; Matty gave me very good information on the expected pricing range and Taxico made me take a second, good look at the 31mm mid size Datejust

I made the final decision after visiting quite a number of shops to look at all the different versions and dropped the black dial and floral version from my list. I actually realized that the past few watches I gave my wife all had white dials and somehow I lucked out by discovering she actually likes light colour dials. As for the floral dial, I actually grew tired of looking at it after sometime and I didn't like the grey on grey look after a while. Thus, I decided to go for a more classic look.

I finally sat down at THG and asked my contact to show me both the 26mm TT (179173) I chose earlier and a 31mm SS Lady Datejust with 24 diamond dispersed dial and MOP dial (178344). After about an hour of handling both watches, I decided to pull the trigger on the 178344. Its modern, classy look really appealed to me. However, I noticed that the MOP dials have a lot of variations and I had to look at a number watches before I chose one with the right tone, texture and colour.

Share some pics with you guys, I really like the fact the MOP dial looks different in different light...

Daytime shot

Nightime shot

Congrats on your new purchase, your wife will be very happy.
                      Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

nice pics there n congrads in purchasing the watch.glad tat we helped in some ways, no worries anytime mate!

Rolex owner since 2010
                        Previously owned:
                        Current collection:
                        Upcoming/Wishlist:

Comment

very beautiful DJ

Comment