Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold your horses guys. We are supposed to share amicably and there is no right/wrong. Each is entitled to your own opinion. No harm is done, no worries. Yes, I'm much clearer with the invaluable advices and suggestions all of you have given. Anyway, I just found out (sadly) that the black SS Daytona costs $17,000 at the AD. The retail price is $15,650 . I wonder when will I be able to realize this 'dream'
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

No offence meant, i am playing the voice of logic here

Yah man 17k leh. Don't pray pray.
      "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Comment

Hi! Just my 2cents worth. I feel that unless the existing watches have sentimental values attached to it, just sell it off to get the watch that you want... After all, just the watches is one of those few collectibles that will appreciate in value with time, it's just money wasting away in your collection.

However if that watch has valuable memories connected to it, then no amount of depreciation or appreciation will make you want to cash in on it. After all, nothing is more valuable then the life experiences that you encountered and the items that remind you of them.

Peace!

Comment

Steady
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

if one is consolidating one's resources to buy "the" watch, it is dangerous because once you have done that, you have actually raised your threshold for the max $$ you would spend on one watch. soon, you will be looking for watches at the new price point the next time you get itchy.

Comment

Originally posted by jojosnr View Post
              if one is consolidating one's resources to buy "the" watch, it is dangerous because once you have done that, you have actually raised your threshold for the max $$ you would spend on one watch. soon, you will be looking for watches at the new price point the next time you get itchy.
              Not necessary. Some people upgrade until no money, then move down again. Like me, buying seikos to curb the itch, hehe...

Of course they are also people who "never look back", refuse to go back to lesser brands.
              Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

That's where I'm heading and I'm afraid too. But in a hobby like this, most of us are always 'upgrading' in our collection. Look at the many here who have progressed and some, at tremendously speed! There are several members here who have made good in their watch collection and I don't think with their wealth, they need to turn back. I'm not even comparing with them. Realistically I know where I stand and how much I can progress, so I'm just trying to 'make good' in my own humble way, ie if I can only afford 20K max to indulge in this hobby, should I plough all into one or two watches, or spread out for a few pieces.

Now that I'm in it for some time, I thought may be I should "retire" and settle for one (or two), and stop thereafter. I need to channel my "energy" on other things also. Life's not all about watches alone especially when $resources are limited..
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Retire from watches? It's not difficult at all - I've done it a few times.
                  Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                    Pegasi... Keep coming back not consider "real" retired lah bro... only consider as take "leave" only. hahahah...

To Ocean bro, me same situation, only have limited funds for this hobby. So, I only can sell existing one if fall in love with new one. Only keep 2 - 3 pieces with me all the time. Afterall, I only have 1 wrist for watch (wear 2 watches on both wrists people will think I am lunatic). :P

So, sell some to fund the new love one lah. However, I strongly suggest you not to sell those that have sentimental value to you.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post

Originally posted by shuseido View Post
                      Pegasi... Keep coming back not consider "real" retired lah bro... only consider as take "leave" only. hahahah...

To Ocean bro, me same situation, only have limited funds for this hobby. So, I only can sell existing one if fall in love with new one. Only keep 2 - 3 pieces with me all the time. Afterall, I only have 1 wrist for watch (wear 2 watches on both wrists people will think I am lunatic). :P

So, sell some to fund the new love one lah. However, I strongly suggest you not to sell those that have sentimental value to you.
                      See how "mixed up" you are - "sell existing one", "fall in love with new one", "have sentimental value" ...

That's what I have been doing and that's precisely what I don't want to have to go thru' time and again . If this keeps going on, where's the "sentimental value" for each "existing one I sell" and continue to "fall in love with new one"... and buy and buy. I just wanna find one or two pieces to "fall in love with" and create "values that are sentimental" enough so that I won't sell anymore
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

buy the watch that u can afford without selling the current collection..
                        in the event that u need some $$, u can even still sell those u wanted to sell...
                        for all u know, daytona may be the grail that u dun want to be on...
                        at the worse case sell the one which you have the least feeling for...
                        (i sold off my Tag for a Sub C recently), no i dun need to have the sub, no the cash from the sales dun even cover more than 20% of the Sub.. but its just no longer sings to me, so might as well let some one else enjoy it..
                        maybe i will sell the sub c to go after something else later

daytona may not be a everyday watch, cannot wear with t-s n berms... n it got no date for a 17k dollars watch!
                        Itchy for:
                        Pam 351

First Team Players:
                        Zenith Chronomaster power reserve
                        Bvlgari Octo
                        IWC 3777-01
                        Rollie 116610LN

SuperSubs:
                        Omega Speedmaster Olympic Edition
                        Blumo

Once was Itching for them:
                        Tag Heuer Aquaracer
                        Pam 111
                        Omega Aqua Terra Chronograph

Comment

Daytona nice la holy grail la, doesn't apply to everyone. Go with your heart, not the crowd!!!

Comment

i think deep in your heart you know what you want to do, but if you need to be absolutely certain....
                            toss a coin, and in the brief moment when it's in the air, you will suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Comment

Heh! Tx for more 'ideas' ... As for the " toss a coin " ..... well, ermmm.. it didn't work
                              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

That's if there's stock because most often than not, there's none (SS model) to try on. And resistance will come in the form of pricing and affordability, of which the latter I am incapable of for now.
                                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X