No announcement yet.

My Very First Rolex (GMT Master II TT)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Very First Rolex (GMT Master II TT)!

My very first Rolex bought in Rome during my honeymoon, and I would like to share my humble story here!

At the very beginning, I had the intentions to buy a simple Tag Hauer Carrera or a Longines Master Collection, but friends, Sg-Roc, and Google convinced me otherwise.. The value, prestige and quality of a Rolex is simply unparalleled, and I slowly explored more and more about the brand and collection.. 1st Explorer, then Date-Just, then Submariner, and finally, falling in love with the GMT Master II

I originally wanted to buy the watch in Bucherer in Swiss (3 times in fact- Bern, Lucern and Interlaken), but found the price and crowd there unappealing.. Almost wanted to purchase a GMT Master II SS in Venice, but found the shop there too shabby for comfort .

In the end, with some directions from the local tour guide in Rome near the Trevis Fountain, I'm very fortunate to have walked into one of the most reputable watch store in Rome, Gioielleria Bedetti! Sales staff was polite and professional, and was most patient even when I spent nearly 1 hour just to consider between the SS and the TT

Ended up, I thought the gold and steel complimented each other perfectly, and I absolutely loved the contrast between the 2... and decided to buy my very first Rolex, the 116713LN, at a very reasonable price!

To be honest, the SS version looks younger and "safer" in colour for a person my age (late 20s), but I can't resist the almost magical charm created by the 18k with the 904L and the black ceramic bezel. I also thought the watch can still match me well even as I seep into my 30s or 40s (never selling it off as it is my honeymoon watch!)

I also love the way the 40mm bezel seem to fit on my relatively small wrist! Unfortunately, the Explorer II was too big for my wrist, and the design not as slick

I have a small obsession with timezones, e.g. When travelling, I would constantly want to know what the time in Singapore was and from there, infer what my family is doing.. It's kind of a weird fetish I have, and the GMT function serves me well!

I have a bigger obsession with precision, perhaps due to my love for mathematics and science. So, I cannot tolerate a minute hand that does not point exactly at the minute it is supposed to point when the second hand touches 12 o'clock. I'm surprised how many watches are imprecise in this sense, and I am even more surprised to discover that the Rolex is not just precise with the seconds and minutes, but also for the GMT hand, which is supposed to be a 'side-kick'!

After many more hours spent in Google on differentiating genuine and fake Rolex watches, my admiration for the brand simply sky-rocketed.. the intricacy of the watch, the obsession Rolex SA has with creating the perfect watch... Yes, it is no doubt an expensive watch for a young chap like me... yes, another watch in the 2k-3k region serves exactly the same purpose, but a Rolex certainly is a watch that not only tells time and make me look good, but one that inspires me to work even harder in life every time I look at it.

So, thumbs up for Rolex, and to the fantastic people here who shares my passion!
    GMT Master II TT (116713LN)

Congrats !!! Wow...u sure hv deep pocket !!! Nice!!!

Comment

Congrats to you on your very fine purchase. Now if i could ever squeeze in another rollie, the gmt tt would be very high on the list, with great competition from the daytona.

Like you, I purchased a rollie on my trip in europe but i picked the sub tt lb from venice. The first rolex you purchase is always extra special, especially if you forked out the money for it and to make it extra special, for a special occasion.

Now all you need is a matching watch for the missus...

Comment

Very nice watch!

Thanks for sharing. wear in good health!

Merry Xmas!

Comment

Thanks all! I'm just fortunate to have a wife who is pretty lucky in her job.. So we made sure this purchase will not jeopardise us financially especially when our house is coming soon and we may have a baby in the near future. Compared to many here, I'm just a humble owner.. Definitely not the type who can afford to collect branded watches

That being said, I think the watch that looks nicer would be the Daytona! Hahaha

Comment

Are there more than 1 rolex shop in Venice? It could be the same one I am talking about. If yes, then I have deeply misunderstood the shop! Just a curious qn, did you manage to receive your tax refund in full as you deserve, ie 12%?

Originally posted by dominique_kwok View Post
            Congrats to you on your very fine purchase. Now if i could ever squeeze in another rollie, the gmt tt would be very high on the list, with great competition from the daytona.

Like you, I purchased a rollie on my trip in europe but i picked the sub tt lb from venice. The first rolex you purchase is always extra special, especially if you forked out the money for it and to make it extra special, for a special occasion.

Now all you need is a matching watch for the missus...

Comment

Nice! Enjoy!

Comment

Nice. The first expensive watch I bought is gmt master ii c tt too. Enjoy.

Comment

Nice gmt tt, can consider adding another ss daytona in your stable in the future.

Congrats.
                  Current Watch Collection
                  Rolex GMT II
                  Bretling Navitimer Bluesky
                  Omega Speed Master DayDate
                  Ball Diver Worldtime
                  Seven Friday p1
                  Ancon Sea Shadow
                  Vostock Europe Anchar
                  Steinhart Aviation Vintage

Comment

Congrat bro, you have made a good choice... Enjoy your honeymoon while wearing the new watch. Cheers!!!
                    Current:
                    No More Liao...

Comment

Congratz GlowBoi and merry Christmas! This is a beautiful watch

Tx for sharing with us
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

congrats on your TT gmt! ^^.. nice gold

Comment

Originally posted by GlowBoi View Post
                            Are there more than 1 rolex shop in Venice? It could be the same one I am talking about. If yes, then I have deeply misunderstood the shop! Just a curious qn, did you manage to receive your tax refund in full as you deserve, ie 12%?
                            I actually received 15% refund. As stated on my receipt. But due to time constraints, I didn't get the refund immediately in cash from global blue near the Louis Vuitton boutique. So since I opted for credit card, after the exchange rate kicks in, I'll get less than the 15% price that Watson my receipt.

Hope this helps. I bought my watches from Salvadori...

Comment

If I'm not wrong there is no cash refund options for claims above 1000 euros. Hehe

Originally posted by dominique_kwok View Post
                              I actually received 15% refund. As stated on my receipt. But due to time constraints, I didn't get the refund immediately in cash from global blue near the Louis Vuitton boutique. So since I opted for credit card, after the exchange rate kicks in, I'll get less than the 15% price that Watson my receipt.

Hope this helps. I bought my watches from Salvadori...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X