Watch winder or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch winder or not?

Hi guys. Just wondering whether a Rolex should be placed in a watch winder for continuous motion or shld I let it stop running?

I seldom wear my Rolex or I have a few to rotate. Just wondering if I placed all my Rolex in a watch winder will it increase the wear and tear and this results in a higher need to service the watch as the watch is running continuously.

Thanks

You are not wrong. If you do not wear your ROLEX watch often and if it is not a hassle for you to set it running whenever you use it, then don't leave it on a switched-on winder.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      You are not wrong. If you do not wear your ROLEX watch often and if it is not a hassle for you to set it running whenever you use it, then don't leave it on a switched-on winder.
      Thanks! Clear my doubt

Comment

If we do not put the watch in winder, will it affect the accuracy as time passes?

Comment

Put or don't put (in a winder), the time accuracy of an automatic movement watch will still be affected over time. You just have to service the watch to maintain its accuracy.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Have been collecting for years and never used a winder, never saw the need if you rotate your watches on a regular basis and I prefered to put the money into my next watch purchase!

Comment

i have the same situation as i seldom wear my rolex frequently, should i use a watch winder or leave it. what will be the consequenes?

Comment

If you read enough here, you will not need to ask this question. Here's one of it:

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/71476-...f-watch-winder
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

if letting the watch stop frequently, instead of using the winder to keep it going, is it good or bad?

Comment

Originally posted by internetbuyer View Post
                    if letting the watch stop frequently, instead of using the winder to keep it going, is it good or bad?
                    Its a strange question.

Watches displayed at THG, for example, are all static... when the sales person picks it up and move it to show the customer, it'll somehow wind the watch a little and it starts moving. So when customer selects another watch, the previous one will be placed back and remain static again...and eventually stop.

So does this mean buying from THG is bad or good?
                    Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
                    • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
                    • Montre de MarQue
                    • Etoile D'Or
                    • Hotel Indonesia
                    • Glory Time
                    • The Watch-Collector
                    • Time Palace
                    • The Swiss Connection
                    • M Baker
                    • Maurice Lacroix
                    • Time Marques
                    • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

Because there is a need to adjust the timing of the watch when we want to use it... wondering it will cause more damage to the watch due to adjusting the timing (ie. unscrewing and pulling out the crown) as compared to keeping it in the winder.

Comment

Yes I do have the feeling that unscrewing and pulling out the crown every few days to adjust the time when I want to wear the watch ain't gonna be too good for the watch in the long run. So I bought a winder to keep the watch running. Besides I like to have the watch ready to go whenever I wanna wear it. And I have 9 automatic watches! So I guess having a winder is more convenient for me.

Comment

you are right to say that unscrew and screw back crown in the long run as the threads on on both ends aka the watch end and crown can be worn out. that is why if you bring say a 15-20 year old watch to RSC, they will recommend you change crown and/or case to ensure water resistance.

metal rub against metal can cause wear and tear that is why regular servicing with lubrication can be view by some as necessity.

however if you subject your watch on a winder, it keeps good time and unscrew and screw back crown will possibly be minimum. but the rest of the parts that makes the movement may wear out faster.

so looks like it is between a hard rock on a cliff against the vast ocean. either way, parts are worn out. just a matter which parts and when.

Originally posted by Ymc View Post
                          Yes I do have the feeling that unscrewing and pulling out the crown every few days to adjust the time when I want to wear the watch ain't gonna be too good for the watch in the long run. So I bought a winder to keep the watch running. Besides I like to have the watch ready to go whenever I wanna wear it. And I have 9 automatic watches! So I guess having a winder is more convenient for me.
                          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                          1. subject heading indicating your issue
                          2. your nick
                          3. your corresponding email address
                          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

in the short run, unscrew and screw back crown is unlikely to cause major damage. reason is because the watch in display is likely to be on display for a short period if it is a sort after model. for those not sort after model, the frequency of unscrew and screw back crown is likely to be lesser compared to the sort after model. hence the wear and tear is not that significant if one is considering the period of time when a watch is in display shelf to the time it is sold. THE END.

Originally posted by ten10 View Post
                            Its a strange question.

Watches displayed at THG, for example, are all static... when the sales person picks it up and move it to show the customer, it'll somehow wind the watch a little and it starts moving. So when customer selects another watch, the previous one will be placed back and remain static again...and eventually stop.

So does this mean buying from THG is bad or good?
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by Ymc View Post
                              Yap, same as Ymc, for me a watch winder makes sense because of this reason too (although I have only 6 auto watches;-).

Another reason is for some watch models, in my case I have an Explorer II, there are complications in them hence having to adjust these complications every time you wear the watch is a hussle instead of enjoyment unless you dont mind the fact that these complications might not be "current" when you wear them.

For Explorer II, I will have to adjust the GMT time first, follow by the date which seems to take forever as the ExpII adjusts the date using hour hand and not the quick date change like the Date Just. So if I have to move the date for 15 days, that would be 24 clicks/day x 15 rounds the dial! Figure that out and you will know what I mean...

Alas, when I think of PP's complications! Moonphrase anyone?? Ha...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X