Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea-Dweller 4000: Why short production run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea-Dweller 4000: Why short production run?

Does any one know or have a theory of why the Sea-Dweller 4000 was only produced for 3 years?
    Our eyes must be ugliest part of our face; everyone looks good when wearing sunglasses

There were mainly speculations and nothing official. But I guess mainly, the model was taken out (of production) to make way for the Sea-Dweller 43mm 50th Anniversary model. Furthermore, ROLEX has a considerable no. of dive watch models already, from the Submariners to SDs and DSSDs. From a sensible business sense, one or two (models) had to go.

Just my personal take on this.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

It would have been interesting if the SD4000 was left in the lineup. Can then tell if upsize sells better after the furore for the red lettering has died down.
      Our eyes must be ugliest part of our face; everyone looks good when wearing sunglasses

Comment

Originally posted by hypeunot View Post
        It would have been interesting if the SD4000 was left in the lineup. Can then tell if upsize sells better after the furore for the red lettering has died down.
        Good, more for the consumers. Not really a sound business sense. Somehow, one of two of the models will be left in the cold if there are too many similar-looking models to choose from. Imagine you will have these (if SD4K remains);

- Submariner Ref. 114060 (no-date);
        - Submariner Ref. 116610 (with many half-golds & full golds+diamonds variations);
        - Sea-Dweller 4000 Ref. 116600;
        - Deepsea Sea-Dweller Ref. 116660 (and you also have the d-Blue); and
        - Sea-Dweller 50th Anniversary Ref. 126600.

And these are only the dive models. What about the other sports models like the GMT-Masters, Explorers, Yacht-Masters (a lot of variations!).

Very difficult to sell, unless got better discounts I think.
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I did manage to get possibly the last one from boutique yesterday though.

Probably gonna keep it untouched for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Occorics View Post
            I did manage to get possibly the last one from boutique yesterday though.

Probably gonna keep it untouched for now.
            Mind sharing how much you bought it for?
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Hi guys I am Keen in sd4000 where to get now

Comment

Originally posted by boni View Post
                Hi guys I am Keen in sd4000 where to get now
                Some of the local grey dealers and pre-owned watch companies do have it for sale. Try check with the forum advertisers for a start?
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

IMO the SD died the day the SD4k was discontinued. The new SD is a Sub/DSSD hybrid dressed up with red text to appeal the the watch nuts.

Thankfully i got in before it was discontinued.

I also believe a number of ADs have stock in their safes - you to to pay to play

Comment

the sd with red text is a special edition similar to that of kermit to commemorate 50th anniversary.

what will be release next will be interesting to see.

Originally posted by BroxiSG View Post
                    IMO the SD died the day the SD4k was discontinued. The new SD is a Sub/DSSD hybrid dressed up with red text to appeal the the watch nuts.

Thankfully i got in before it was discontinued.

I also believe a number of ADs have stock in their safes - you to to pay to play
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

SD4000 used to be less then 10k a year ago. Now it about 12k to 13k. Hold for now. It will not be popular like sub. No need pay premium for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kennethTanTan View Post
                        SD4000 used to be less then 10k a year ago. Now it about 12k to 13k. Hold for now. It will not be popular like sub. No need pay premium for it.
                        It's not only the SD4K that was used to be less than 10K for a pre-owned piece. Many other pre-owned ROLEX SS sports models (except the Daytona and Submariner LV and Yacht-Master) were going under 10K about a year or two ago. See what is happening now?

Traditionally, the SD is less popular than the Submariner. However, it also means that the SD is less common than the latter. That might have been one of the reasons why ROLEX decided to mount a cyclop on the new 50th anniversary SD43mm? Maybe hoping to revive the SD or make it more 'palatable'?
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Prices for the SD4K has been increasing steeply.. will it a good time to get it now for future collection or will the price tone down in time to come ? As far as i know, the SD4K is really really limited due to short production run.. Pros here pls advice.. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sy1994 View Post
                            Prices for the SD4K has been increasing steeply.. will it a good time to get it now for future collection or will the price tone down in time to come ? As far as i know, the SD4K is really really limited due to short production run.. Pros here pls advice.. Thanks
                            If ROLEX really stops producing non-cyclop Sea-Dwellers in future, the Sea-Dweller 4000 (SD4K) should hold it's value pretty well. It means the SD4K will be the last generation of SDs that comes w/o the cyclop (Do note that the current, regular production SD 50th Anniversary at 43mm comes with cyclop).
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by sy1994 View Post
                              The adage "Any Rolex Sports Watches will hold value well in near future" comes to mind. This appears to be a common stance adopted by watch dealers I have come across all over Singapore in my hunt for my first entry rolex into the fray

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X