Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Car or watches?

Guys,

Whenever I think of changing my ride, I keep measuring the depreciation against another watch that I can own. Hence I have constantly scraped the idea of getting a nicer car.

Do any of you have this dilemma? Example a Merc has around 15-20 k depreciation per year dependent on how long you hold onto it.

Thoughts?

Ads

Originally posted by Throttle
    Normal lah, we all think of things relative to others especially when closer to our hearts.

I use to relate everything to cigars.
    For example one Daytona is one full years supply of premium cuban cigars.
    But i soon depart from viewing it that way, especially with valuable luxury watches.

I differentiate between consumables and durables.

Car and cigar considered consumables
    Watches considered durables.

When i buy a car i just hv to decide how much i'm willing to write off
    When i buy cigars, i treat it like food and petrol.
    When i buy watches, i treat it like property.
    First must like and willing to keep, next must be within budget and finally must hv fair value.

Haha
    Good school of thoughts bro

Comment

Originally posted by monstaR View Post
      Guys,

Whenever I think of changing my ride, I keep measuring the depreciation against another watch that I can own. Hence I have constantly scraped the idea of getting a nicer car.

Do any of you have this dilemma? Example a Merc has around 15-20 k depreciation per year dependent on how long you hold onto it.

Thoughts?

Ads
      i used to have the same mentality..after a while, i thought...what the heck...life is short, indulge if u can
      elusive

Comment

Originally posted by satch View Post
        i used to have the same mentality..after a while, i thought...what the heck...life is short, indulge if u can
        Agreed with u provided you hv thick pocket...
        Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
        Future - Geneva hallmark
        Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

Have decided to start hunting for another car! Wish me luck!

Comment

Guys,

Thoughts?

Ads
            No doubt few of us here have similar dilemma. Depreciation for a nice car is essentially a very good watch each year. Unfortunately still can't get myself to upgrade my car after seeing the depreciation

Comment

Have decided to start hunting for another car! Wish me luck!
              Recommend a Lambo bro
              ROLEX.

Comment

Depreciation asides, I get a lot more joy from owning watches than owning cars. Plus I anyway cannot afford to play cars so no dilemma for me.
                Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

depreciation is one thing, upkeeping a car is another. car is a major time sucker
                  [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                  Blue 6694
                  Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Yeah currently working on the goal to get a nice car that the whole family can enjoy and ride in comfort...... Of course within my budget as well.

List of cars, used and not new include:
                    CLS 2006
                    X5 2006
                    730 2006
                    Gs300 2006

Note that they are very different cars but these are the models that catches my eye and can serve the family

Comment

Yeah currently working on the goal to get a nice car that the whole family can enjoy and ride in comfort...... Of course within my budget as well.

List of cars, used and not new include:
                      CLS 2006
                      X5 2006
                      730 2006
                      Gs300 2006

Note that they are very different cars but these are the models that catches my eye and can serve the family
                      Can share why all listed models are of 2006? Better value (and due to what)?

Comment

Few reasons:

1. Looking for a short term drive, don't see a point in committing for ten years
                        2. First or second owners have taken a larger hit already and hence depreciation is much lower

My 2cents... Although many would say they prefer brand new than used, I don't mind finding a second hand brand new ride. Warranty is probably over so I can have the car serviced anywhere which is significantly cheaper than the dealership without fear that warranty is void.

Having lived in Australia, I have driven cars that are 20 years old and are still going on strong and hence a 5-6 year old car is practically brand new to me

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Few reasons:

1. Looking for a short term drive, don't see a point in committing for ten years
                            2. First or second owners have taken a larger hit already and hence depreciation is much lower

My 2cents... Although many would say they prefer brand new than used, I don't mind finding a second hand brand new ride. Warranty is probably over so I can have the car serviced anywhere which is significantly cheaper than the dealership without fear that warranty is void.

Having lived in Australia, I have driven cars that are 20 years old and are still going on strong and hence a 5-6 year old car is practically brand new to me
                            In that sense cars and watches are quite similar - preowned = lower depreciation, and performance (of preowned) can be as good.

Comment

In that case, you should be well versed to do some maintenance on your own cars without the need of workshop unless it require computer diagnosis.
                              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                              Blue 6694
                              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X