Brand new or pre-owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new or pre-owned?

Been lurking in this forum for sometime liao.

Except for my 1st pre-owned Rolex 6694 and IWC portofino (a gift), all my watches are bought new. 6694 is worn by my brother, and I knew my friend who gave me the IWC well.

Really love seeing many watches selling here, and ebay, but never get myyself to take a step further. Being a kiasu chinese middle age fellow, and to think myself going to spend multiple thousands to buy a 2nd hand watch, it is so damn difficult. Knowing myself, I will be wondering why the guy sells his watch (whether bad luck or something), lost on the race track or whatever if I buy it. Don't think I will have that peace of mind should something bad happens when wearing a pre-owned watch. not knowing its history. Don't think I wll ever buy from a pawn shop for sure.

So I will continue to save my blood and sweat money to pursue my new 14060m and solid gold rolex or give it all up for just a PP aquanaut/nautilus. It will be a slow and tedious process I am sure, but I will enjoy the fruits of the hard labor.

How many of you are of the same thinking?

Does the history of the watch affect your purchase?

cheers

Hmmmm, history of the watch?

I think if the history is such that the guys lost money and hence has to sell the watch at a lower price then: His bad luck , my very good fortune!

I mean seriously, unless the watch is "haunted" which means that a spirit follows it everywhere it goes, i will have no qualms purchasing it, of course at a price that i feel is reasonable. However, my best watch (meaning the one i will like to keep properly and treasure to pass down to posterity) must be new. period

Any other watch following that can go through grey hands, black hands, dirty hands, i dont really care, as long as it has been cleaned and polished well enough w/o any major blemish

Speaking about preowned, really long to purchase a pre-owned BALL Hydrocarbon classic series at a good price say sub-$1000.... i know ... its tough but i will keep on looking...
    Currently own:
    Rolex Explorer 2 Black Dial 16570
    Rolex Precision 6694 (Manual winding)
    Blue Dial/Silver Markers
    Seiko SNZG15K1
    Ball EMII Diver green inner bezel!
    Stowa Marine Original (White dial)

Wishlist:
    Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic PAM 392 42mm

(gone and missing them)
    Omega Seamaster 2254.50
    Breitling Colt GMT (Black dial)

Comment

Originally posted by commoner View Post

Except for my 1st pre-owned Rolex 6694 and IWC portofino (a gift), all my watches are bought new. 6694 is worn by my brother, and I knew my friend who gave me the IWC well.

cheers
      i wish a friend would give me a IWC .. in fact, casio or seiko also can...

to answer your query... out of sight, out of mind.
      if i know that a 2nd-hand piece offered to me had some unfortunate history to it, I wld probably give it a miss. otherwise, the costs savings is too much for me to give up altogether on the grey market.

ender
      "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
      three times is enemy action and
      over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
      ."

Comment

For me i usually go the pre-owned pieces as i do not have massive nor deep pockets for BNIB...and i have no pangtang issues regarding the previous owner history of fortune or misfortune...as long watch condition,package,price are met to my expectations, i pull the trigger for the watch....
        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I am a junk collector...clocks & watches, old toys, furnitures, junk from all over the world and over the decades...

So you know what my answer would be
          Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I will buy preowned with at least 98% condition and from reputable seller at a fair price. Local, overseas or outer space sets dun bother me at all as long as its genuine. Buying from pawnshops is definitely a BIG NO NO for me. The history of those pawnshop pieces bothers me and most of the time, those watches at pawnshops are quite beat up.
            1 3 5
            ├┼┼╕
            2 4 6 R

Comment

I don't have any issue with pre-owned watches in good condition. I find it difficult to believe a watch is able to influence the fate or luck of an individual. But that's just me

Comment

Ha! I dun believe in bad luck either. Try selling me a super duper bad luck WG Daytona for half price, even die I'll die a happy man
                1 3 5
                ├┼┼╕
                2 4 6 R

Comment

hehehe..i simply want a Deepsea at 6k....bad luck or not i will revert back to the seller after i wear for 5years...hehehehe....kidding nia....

Comment

i do have a friend whos rather superstitous and will never buy any pre own watch, as he has the mentality that people only sell their watch fr bad reasons, thus he afraid he will inherit bad luck from pre own watches

Comment

yeah....my Dad have the same mentality...so he only goes for BNIB from Local ADs...

Well...he not a watch siao like me lar...hehehe..so i suppose it is okie for him as he buy 2 in the last 10 years or so i think..

Comment

I will buy the preowned piece if the condition is good, price is just/cheap and the history of the watch is still fine.
                        Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

if i were to buy a pre own,i guess the most impt thing to look out for is authenticity and watch is in gd condt n working well. I wouldnt want to know the story behind the pre own watch, ignorance can be a blessing at times

Comment

hehehehe..stories can be quite interesting de...hehehehe... i dun mind spending 1 hr to hear the story behind the watch that i buy from the seller...hehehehe.....

Comment

Originally posted by commoner View Post

Really love seeing many watches selling here, and ebay, but never get myyself to take a step further. Being a kiasu chinese middle age fellow, and to think myself going to spend multiple thousands to buy a 2nd hand watch, it is so damn difficult. Knowing myself, I will be wondering why the guy sells his watch (whether bad luck or something), lost on the race track or whatever if I buy it. Don't think I will have that peace of mind should something bad happens when wearing a pre-owned watch. not knowing its history. Don't think I wll ever buy from a pawn shop for sure.

So I will continue to save my blood and sweat money to pursue my new 14060m and solid gold rolex or give it all up for just a PP aquanaut/nautilus. It will be a slow and tedious process I am sure, but I will enjoy the fruits of the hard labor.

How many of you are of the same thinking?

cheers
                              I think History only applies to a house or a car; stuff like did anyone commit suicide in it or did the car smash into somebody & resulted in death. I am totally fine having a pre-owned watch as long as it could be verified. It's not as if a car that would have 01 transfer when you are the 2nd owner, nobody ll know that my watch is 2nd hand!!
                              I rather push my Alfa Romeo than drive a BMW

Alfa 1.5 Sprint
                              Alfa 33
                              Alfa 147
                              Alfa GT
                              Alfa Spider 3.2 V6- now
                              Alfa 4C- maybe next time

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse