Personal ode to Rolex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal ode to Rolex

Hi folks, seldom really post in this forum except when looking to purchase watches. But somehow today, I have got something to share with fellow forum members here about my feelings and experience about owning a Rolex or two.

[IMG]blob:null/5624c4cf-a7b7-c845-97c8-8edac774a365[/IMG]

My experience with Rolex started in 2013, when I bought a Submariner to celebrate an achievement at work. To be honest, I have never had a close relationship with the watch until the birth of my son, when it was with me during the stay at the hospital with my wife. Before that, I have always wanted to trade or sell it off because it just looks plain boring to me.

However, since the day on my son's birth in 2014, I have decided to always keep it to pass it down to him. Even my wife who has never been a watch lover has decided to choose a Rolex as her "push" present, to be passed down to my son as well in future.

Till date, the Submariner has served me well in a sort of steady and quiet way. I have no worries on using it as daily beater and even dove with it in Maldives back in 2014.

It just seems to me good enough to be passed down for future generations. yeah I know some people will fancy a Patek as an heirloom but somehow i just feel a delicate Patek doesnt cut it for me (not sour grapes).

Wonder whether anyone share the same feelings towards Rolex as me, but thanks for hearing me out on a rainy afternoon.

Comment

When I am feeling isolated and alone, my rolex grabs my wrist. It's US against the world! With my little rolly around , I know I am not alone as it weighs heavily on my wrist assuring me of its presence.

Comment

Touching.. tx for sharing

And I can't agree more
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Nice! In my opinion, the deeper meaning here is the purpose (passing it down to your son) rather than the brand. It may as well be a swatch or a casio. No matter what, it will be priceless to your son

Comment

Great sharing

Honestly speaking, if I have a $100,000 to spare, I will likely buy 10 basic luxury watches like Rolex, Breitling, etc, rather than spending the same amount of money to just buy a high end one like a Patek. Perhaps I would only get a Patek if I become a billionaire and have the money to "play". I do appreciate the additional amount of human intervention and craftsmanship spent on these high end pieces. However, I am personally more into the technical aspect of mechanical watches. How they make these pieces almost as accurate as Quartz, but yet able to "whack" them for tough missions and activities. To me a good watch should be able to follow the owner for any occasions, almost any activities and despite all these, able to last forever from generations to generations without losing its appeal and functionality. It is pieces like this that give me the "timeless appeal". I am not willing to spend tons of money on a delicate watch where I consistently have to worry about the watch whenever I am wearing it(eg, washing hands, raining, eating steamboat, etc)

Most Rolexes are IMO the epitome of a good all rounded watch. As many would say, no collection is complete without a Rolex/Sub. While Rolex might not be my top favorite brand(my favorite is Breitling), it is hard to fault a Rolex. If a person knows nuts about watches but wants to get a luxury watch, I would say, " Buy a Rolex and you won't go wrong."

Comment

Yes Rolex is actually 1 of the brands that r very tough and trouble free. TAG and grand seiko r the other 2 brands I can think off. To be honest not all Patek r as trouble free even though the price is much higher.

Comment

indeed Rolex is tough and very much trouble-free

Comment

Rolex is a good wealth preserve especially u r in country where currencies fluctuate alot.
                  Example Like Malaysia ringgit, indonesia, india, british pound etc.
                  Rolex sport model watches do appreciate with time. Plus the dividend is the happiness of owning it and likely to get back your money or more if u buy preowned. It is also very easy to get it serviced and alot of watch makers know how to service a Rolex.

Comment

Originally posted by chronomat01le View Post
                    Great sharing

Honestly speaking, if I have a $100,000 to spare, I will likely buy 10 basic luxury watches like Rolex, Breitling, etc, rather than spending the same amount of money to just buy a high end one like a Patek. Perhaps I would only get a Patek if I become a billionaire and have the money to "play". I do appreciate the additional amount of human intervention and craftsmanship spent on these high end pieces. However, I am personally more into the technical aspect of mechanical watches. How they make these pieces almost as accurate as Quartz, but yet able to "whack" them for tough missions and activities. To me a good watch should be able to follow the owner for any occasions, almost any activities and despite all these, able to last forever from generations to generations without losing its appeal and functionality. It is pieces like this that give me the "timeless appeal". I am not willing to spend tons of money on a delicate watch where I consistently have to worry about the watch whenever I am wearing it(eg, washing hands, raining, eating steamboat, etc)

Most Rolexes are IMO the epitome of a good all rounded watch. As many would say, no collection is complete without a Rolex/Sub. While Rolex might not be my top favorite brand(my favorite is Breitling), it is hard to fault a Rolex. If a person knows nuts about watches but wants to get a luxury watch, I would say, " Buy a Rolex and you won't go wrong."
                    Totally agree on that!!!

Comment

first, thanks to starter for sharing a story.

it very much depends on at which stage of watch collection one is in and the amount of disposable income one has.

if a person has a disposable income of $100,000 to spend on watches and the person is at a beginning of watch collection, then it is possible for the person to say buy 10 pieces of $10,000 watches like rolex and other brands. if the same person has the same disposable income of $100,000 to spend on watches and the person has already say couple of various brands like rolex, then the person may not want to spend on say another 10 pieces of $10,000 watches but possibly a single watch value @ $100,000.

other factors one will consider are over a period of time, one perception of watch collecting changes. i wont say i am very long into this, what i view on watch collecting 10 years ago and now has changed. over period of time.

one thing for sure, i have walked several cycles. i started with rolex, move on to seiko. came back to rolex. went out again with seiko and came back to rolex. so one can say i have a soft spot for rolex.
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                      1. subject heading indicating your issue
                      2. your nick
                      3. your corresponding email address
                      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

My rolex is my best companion. This year workload getting heavier n I am scared. But once rolex on wrist I know I am not alone, we will fight it out together!

Comment

I felt the same way after my son was born too. Rolex has that pass-down-to-generations quality no doubt.

[QUOTE=Helmsley;1096925]My experience with Rolex started in 2013, when I bought a Submariner to celebrate an achievement at work. To be honest, I have never had a close relationship with the watch until the birth of my son, when it was with me during the stay at the hospital with my wife. Before that, I have always wanted to trade or sell it off because it just looks plain boring to me.

However, since the day on my son's birth in 2014, I have decided to always keep it to pass it down to him. Even my wife who has never been a watch lover has decided to choose a Rolex as her "push" present, to be passed down to my son as well in future.

Till date, the Submariner has served me well in a sort of steady and quiet way. I have no worries on using it as daily beater and even dove with it in Maldives back in 2014.

It just seems to me good enough to be passed down for future generations. yeah I know some people will fancy a Patek as an heirloom but somehow i just feel a delicate Patek doesnt cut it for me (not sour grapes).

Wonder whether anyone share the same feelings towards Rolex as me, but thanks for hearing me out on a rainy afternoon.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X