Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Review : Chicken Rice in SG

Hi Bros and fellow food lovers,
    Tried this so-called famous chicken rice at their 38 Commonwealth Ave branch today and was very disappointed by the food and service standard.
    Went in around 5.30pm for early dinner with my better half as we were ravenous and placed our order with an uncle for 3 plates of rice and 3 servings of chicken thighs.

When the food arrived, we were very bemused to find a chicken wing and breast meat and deduced we were served half a chicken instead. Told the server we actually ordered 3 thighs and sent back the order.

After a few minutes of waiting, the uncle who took the order came out again to confirm our order and we told him 3 chicken thighs.

Off he went. Waited for several minutes. To our chargin, out came the 'boss' to clarify the order, asking if we wanted drumsticks with the chicken thighs or without drumsticks!

We quickly told him it was just thigh and thigh alone that we want and off he went.

You'd think that any experienced chicken rice business would know that customers can place orders for specific chicken parts!

When the correct order finally arrived, the dish was just plonked at our table and after we paid, the change was also unceremoniously dumped on the table without a word of thanks.

Still, we rationalized, the food should be the focal point but it just turned out to be above average at best. The accompanying soy-sesame oil sauce that was poured over the chicken was bare and scarce which meant that the steamed chicken ended up tasting bland and while tender, lacked the all important savory omph.
    To give due credit, the ginger sauce was good but the chilli sauce was too sweet.

But the best was yet to come. Halfway through our meal, we heard loud shouting coming from the stall (probably from the chap in charge of chopping the chickens) in dialect about getting orders right and other things in strong language, definitely directed at us.

This utter disregard of basic service (I wasn't expecting a red carpet but just decent, knowledgeable service) thoroughly marred the dining experience.

The only saving grace was the friendly drink auntie who greeted us with a sincere smile and served her drinks with warmth.

So Chicken Rice loving Bros and Sisters, just order carefully at this 'infamous' chicken rice place if you crave over-rated chicken rice.

For me and my wife, we'll stick to Meng Kee in Bishan, that's still one of the best chicken rice around.
    Sweet 16:
    PP Aquanaut
    VC Overseas
    AP ROO Black Themes
    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
    Breguet Type XXI
    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
    JLC Navy Seals
    GO Senator 60s
    GP Laureato
    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
    Rolex DSSD
    IWC Big Pilot
    Pam 112
    Omega Ploprof
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Glycine F104

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
    Hi Bros and fellow food lovers,
    Tried this so-called famous chicken rice at their 38 Commonwealth Ave branch today and was very disappointed by the food and service standard.
    Went in around 5.30pm for early dinner with my better half as we were ravenous and placed our order with an uncle for 3 plates of rice and 3 servings of chicken thighs.

When the food arrived, we were very bemused to find a chicken wing and breast meat and deduced we were served half a chicken instead. Told the server we actually ordered 3 thighs and sent back the order.

After a few minutes of waiting, the uncle who took the order came out again to confirm our order and we told him 3 chicken thighs.

Off he went. Waited for several minutes. To our chargin, out came the 'boss' to clarify the order, asking if we wanted drumsticks with the chicken thighs or without drumsticks!

We quickly told him it was just thigh and thigh alone that we want and off he went.

You'd think that any experienced chicken rice business would know that customers can place orders for specific chicken parts!

When the correct order finally arrived, the dish was just plonked at our table and after we paid, the change was also unceremoniously dumped on the table without a word of thanks.

Still, we rationalized, the food should be the focal point but it just turned out to be above average at best. The accompanying soy-sesame oil sauce that was poured over the chicken was bare and scarce which meant that the steamed chicken ended up tasting bland and while tender, lacked the all important savory omph.
    To give due credit, the ginger sauce was good but the chilli sauce was too sweet.

But the best was yet to come. Halfway through our meal, we heard loud shouting coming from the stall (probably from the chap in charge of chopping the chickens) in dialect about getting orders right and other things in strong language, definitely directed at us.

This utter disregard of basic service (I wasn't expecting a red carpet but just decent, knowledgeable service) thoroughly marred the dining experience.

The only saving grace was the friendly drink auntie who greeted us with a sincere smile and served her drinks with warmth.

So Chicken Rice loving Bros and Sisters, just order carefully at this 'infamous' chicken rice place if you crave over-rated chicken rice.

For me and my wife, we'll stick to Meng Kee in Bishan, that's still one of the best chicken rice around.
    Bro I think we have very similar taste...I love Meng Kee @ Bishan too

Must have a makan outing for SGROC soon eh...hehehe

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
      Bro I think we have very similar taste...I love Meng Kee @ Bishan too

Must have a makan outing for SGROC soon eh...hehehe
      Haha, great idea Bro Darkie! If there is one other thing I am passionate about besides watches and movies, its hawker food.
      Basket, I should drag the Sin Kee Boss to Meng Kee to show him how a good chicken rice business is run efficiently.
      Meng Kee's chicken rice servings are big, yet tender and their sauce is sinfully savory and fragrant. The bearded uncle at Meng Kee always tries his best to smile even when the stall is crazily busy.
      Sweet 16:
      PP Aquanaut
      VC Overseas
      AP ROO Black Themes
      A.Lange & Sohne 1815
      Breguet Type XXI
      Blancpain 50 Fathoms
      JLC Navy Seals
      GO Senator 60s
      GP Laureato
      Rolex DSSD
      IWC Big Pilot
      Pam 112
      Omega Ploprof
      Breitling Super Avenger
      Glycine F104

Comment

Try the chicken rice at beach road army market. Basement, chinese stall just next to the staircase.

Comment

Haha, great idea Bro Darkie! If there is one other thing I am passionate about besides watches and movies, its hawker food.
          Basket, I should drag the Sin Kee Boss to Meng Kee to show him how a good chicken rice business is run efficiently.
          Meng Kee's chicken rice servings are big, yet tender and their sauce is sinfully savory and fragrant. The bearded uncle at Meng Kee always tries his best to smile even when the stall is crazily busy.
          Same here, I love hawker food! Meng Kee's queues are always long but despite waiting for 15-20 mins at times...I will still queue for it! Worth waiting for!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Bros mind sharing the address of Meng Kee? Both my son and I are a big fan of good chicken rice
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Hokey, will avoid S(t)inKee Chickent Rice from now

its amazing how horrible some peeps can be sigh..the last time I met such rude peeps was when they were still operating at geylang, Must have chemistry de mah, else how to eat....er nm, different story altogether

anyway, back to chicken rice..wait, wasnt I talking about chicken above? ah, nm.......

I like the ones at Maxwell food court, think called tong feng or something. Another one thts not too bad is ABC food court. Another not too bad is at ayer rajah food court.

Never had the chance to go bishan for chick rice cos too far but think have to go try at least one time haha...

btw, at novena think one of the shopping mall, theres this chicken rice store that serves their chicken rice in balls. anyway tried it before?
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

wah toffee bro your experience is really bad
                served you so many times still can get the wrong order... if not happy with the service you can always dun pay the service charge
                cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by honestdeal View Post
                  Try the chicken rice at beach road army market. Basement, chinese stall just next to the staircase.
                  ok lah. i find it so-so.

honestly, i have yet to find a a truly nice chicken rice stall in sg in a long while. the last time i tasted really nice chicken rice was probably 30 years ago. the stall no longer around.

either the rice not fragrant enough or chicken not tender enough.

i wont say my chicken rice is nice. but i believe it is good enough to serve my family and friends. no one has complained about it so far.

in order to cook nice tender chicken, the chicken need to be marinated lightly before boiling. highest part to cook is usually the drum/thigh joint area. cause it is the thickest. i have yet to master the art to cook till you dont see it bloody and keep the rest of the chicken soft and tender constantly. maybe out of 4 times, once that particular area will be undercooked. after boiling the chicken, you need to soak it in cold water for about 1 minute. take it out and put it back into the boiling water for another 20seconds or so. then soak it in cold water for another 1 minute.

as for the rice, you need to fry the rice first. then cook the rice and add your usual ingredient such as pandan leaves, ginger, +++++. use the stock for chicken rice to cook your rice also.

when you serve the chicken, separate the cucumber and tomato if you use from the chicken. this is to avoid the chicken 'soaking in' the vegetable taste. you may also add salted vegetables * teochew* style. some will add some 'achar'. to top it off, thick dark soya sauce and chilli. if you dont like dark soya sauce, then mix light soya sauce with seseame oil *not too much*
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

exxondus bro for the one at maxwell i went there to eat before even the breast meat(bought the last plate of chicken rice hehe) also taste good but have long queue with lots of tourists.
                    cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                      Bros mind sharing the address of Meng Kee? Both my son and I are a big fan of good chicken rice
                      Dunno the exact Blk number but Meng Kee is at the closest coffeeshop right next to the Bishan Bus Interchange and NTUC Fairprice. Can't miss!
                      Sweet 16:
                      PP Aquanaut
                      VC Overseas
                      AP ROO Black Themes
                      A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                      Breguet Type XXI
                      Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                      JLC Navy Seals
                      GO Senator 60s
                      GP Laureato
                      Rolex DSSD
                      IWC Big Pilot
                      Pam 112
                      Omega Ploprof
                      Breitling Super Avenger
                      Glycine F104

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                        ok lah. i find it so-so.

honestly, i have yet to find a a truly nice chicken rice stall in sg in a long while. the last time i tasted really nice chicken rice was probably 30 years ago. the stall no longer around.

either the rice not fragrant enough or chicken not tender enough.

i wont say my chicken rice is nice. but i believe it is good enough to serve my family and friends. no one has complained about it so far.

in order to cook nice tender chicken, the chicken need to be marinated lightly before boiling. highest part to cook is usually the drum/thigh joint area. cause it is the thickest. i have yet to master the art to cook till you dont see it bloody and keep the rest of the chicken soft and tender constantly. maybe out of 4 times, once that particular area will be undercooked. after boiling the chicken, you need to soak it in cold water for about 1 minute. take it out and put it back into the boiling water for another 20seconds or so. then soak it in cold water for another 1 minute.

as for the rice, you need to fry the rice first. then cook the rice and add your usual ingredient such as pandan leaves, ginger, +++++. use the stock for chicken rice to cook your rice also.

when you serve the chicken, separate the cucumber and tomato if you use from the chicken. this is to avoid the chicken 'soaking in' the vegetable taste. you may also add salted vegetables * teochew* style. some will add some 'achar'. to top it off, thick dark soya sauce and chilli. if you dont like dark soya sauce, then mix light soya sauce with seseame oil *not too much*

bro u operating a stall ?

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                          Hokey, will avoid S(t)inKee Chickent Rice from now

its amazing how horrible some peeps can be sigh..the last time I met such rude peeps was when they were still operating at geylang, Must have chemistry de mah, else how to eat....er nm, different story altogether

anyway, back to chicken rice..wait, wasnt I talking about chicken above? ah, nm.......

I like the ones at Maxwell food court, think called tong feng or something. Another one thts not too bad is ABC food court. Another not too bad is at ayer rajah food court.

Never had the chance to go bishan for chick rice cos too far but think have to go try at least one time haha...

btw, at novena think one of the shopping mall, theres this chicken rice store that serves their chicken rice in balls. anyway tried it before?
                          Bro Exondus, looks like you're quite the foodie too eh?
                          Seriously, the service lapse and inneptness I encountered yesterday is really unbelievable. While I appreciate the effort taken to confirm the order, in the local chicken rice culture, where got people order thigh that come with drumstick? If I wanted both parts, I would have asked for both!
                          Anyways enough ranting from me, I'll bear in mind your recommendations. Haha, Meng Kee Chicken rice is really something else, all the allegedly 'famous' Loy Kee, Boon Tong Kee and of course, S(t)in Kee, while all decent, pale in comparison to it.
                          If Bishan too far, the coffeeshop opposite Bukit Gombak MRT station is also very good. Smaller servings but very tender white chicken soaked in oyster based thick sauce with a powerful chilli dip. My mum thinks its even better than Meng Kee!
                          One other good, succulent and tender chicken rice is in Ghim Moh area, Blk21 hawker centre or something. But be forewarned that the sauce is very generous (Stinkee should learn from them) and very salty but still quite shiok. Just be prepared to drop a few strands of hair after eating, haha!
                          Sweet 16:
                          PP Aquanaut
                          VC Overseas
                          AP ROO Black Themes
                          A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                          Breguet Type XXI
                          Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                          JLC Navy Seals
                          GO Senator 60s
                          GP Laureato
                          Rolex DSSD
                          IWC Big Pilot
                          Pam 112
                          Omega Ploprof
                          Breitling Super Avenger
                          Glycine F104

Comment

Dunno the exact Blk number but Meng Kee is at the closest coffeeshop right next to the Bishan Bus Interchange and NTUC Fairprice. Can't miss!
                            Got it, tks bro!
                            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by honestdeal View Post
                              bro u operating a stall ?
                              no lah. just like to cook.
                              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                              1. subject heading indicating your issue
                              2. your nick
                              3. your corresponding email address
                              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X